Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Newbie Tips for First 70.3
Quote | Reply
I have a few silly questions about my first 70.3 coming up (Syracuse). (I'm an age group, completer.)

In shorter tri’s I always just wear my shorts and top under my wetsuit and jump on my bike wet. Do I do this for a 70.3, or is it worth it to put on dry clothes after the swim?

I usually ride my bike with my Garmin. I’m assuming these are allowed? Will I need to load the course for navigation or are the courses marked well enough to go without? (I’ll only have the Saturday before to scout the route.)

Any other pro-tips out there?!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to change clothes and you don't need a computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another relative newbie, this is what I did in my first and continue to do...

I wear a tri suit under my wetsuit. Then, I just peel off the wetsuit and ride and run with the same tri suit. In my first, I wore a two-piece tri suit. But after that, I got a one-piece suit that I like a whole lot more.

Yes, Garmins are allowed everywhere. I time the whole event with a Garmin watch in multisport mode. But, I also time the bike redundantly with a 520. I like reading the data on the 520 better than the watch during the bike.

No need to load the route in a computer. That will be well-manned with signage and volunteers at major intersections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There won't be change tents since it's a 70.3 and you don't really need to change unless you prefer bike shorts to tri shorts, you will dry on the bike ;) . Course will be well marked, look at the map ahead of time to be familiar and if you have time the day before you can drive it. Most of all have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the same format as any regular triathlon, save for the distances. The only major additions are:
-Wetsuit strippers
-Food and hydration on both the bike and run

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips everyone!

My Garmin is my only speedometer/cadence/etc., so I'll need it regardless, but good to know I won't need to use the navigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
It's the same format as any regular triathlon, save for the distances. The only major additions are:
-Wetsuit strippers
-Food and hydration on both the bike and run

You forgot....

-porta potties likely at some of the aid stations on both bike and run

That's all I got. I'm not a pro. I'm a completer too. Also, I'm older, so bathroom breaks are a given.

My other tip....take moments to look around and soak it in. The scale and scope of it. Give a chuckle to at least one person holding the sign that says "Smile if you peed during the swim." I chuckle at each and every one of them. What can I say? While I'm old, I'm still immature. If you've done the training, you'll likely outperform your expectations. You'll finish strong if you stick to all that you've learned about spending several hours "doing fitness"* Also, there will be plenty of bikes to envy, even if you just spent a fortune on a brand new one.

* The old "nothing new". That kinda counts now at this distance. 5-6+ hours, you have to have tested out some hydrating and some food while you've been training. But if that didn't include cola....just don't grab one. I can attest to this. Mile 11-12 of my first was a rather uncomfortable cola induced burpy sloshfest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need the Garmin and it is something that can be stolen.

A basic watch with stopwatch/split functions is all you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are supposed to shake the cola!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first 70.3 is coming up fast, also.

Wetsuit strippers... is this necessary? What are the chances they tear my nice new suit?

Also, could somebody chime in re: "70.3 nutrition for dummies"? I could use some guidance.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not necessary but definitely helpful. I don't think it increases the tearing risk any more than normal, but that's just my experience. Even small tears can be repaired quite easily with cement.

What nutrition are you practicing with now? That info would be useful before giving out any advice.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you in Syracuse. My first half as well. Approaching it basically like an Olympic but gong a bit slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very low wetsuit tear risk. And, the upside is huge. Just don't accidentally pull the top of your one-piece tri suit with your wetsuit. That will be a scary experience that a wetsuit stripper can never un-see.

Nutrition is another big and individual topic. I try to aim for about 1,000 calorie intake during the bike. I do all liquid, because I have not found any solid that works for me. But I learned a couple weeks ago that I can go very low cal when my bike ejected everything.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jun 5, 17 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Use body glide liberally at potential chafing points.
2. Save the "crushing everyone else's dreams" for the run. Your training rides will have given you some data points to know roughly how hard you can go (heart rate, power) to have enough in the tank for the execute a decent run.
3. I've pretty much settled on liquid nutrition for the bike portion (Infinit)...it seems to work ok for me. I live off the course for the run.
4. If you're going to take handups on the bike, it would be a good idea practicing the mechanics of doing so beforehand.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
What nutrition are you practicing with now?.

<Blank stare. Crickets chirping..>

I'm lo-tech / no prep. Long work hrs and cold, wet Spring has laid waste to any planned buildup. I'm going in cold. Like the 1st dog shot into orbit.

Just curious, for 70.3 run leg do many ppl run with a bottle? Gel/gu flasks? Ham sandwich during T2?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all great stuff, thanks everyone.

Here's another thing...I'm exhausted. I'm trying to pull through this week as my last big training week, get a couple good runs and swims in before I back off next week, but I am SO.TIRED. It's only Tuesday and I don't know how I'm going to get through my run today. My body feels fine, but it's just so hard for me to get out of bed in the morning...and it's not that early (6:30am).

My day goes something like... 6:30 wake up, walk the dog, shower, dressed, out the door for work around 7:45am. At work by 8:30. Lunch workout around 12:30. Work from 2-6:30/7. Home around 8. Walk the dog, dinner, prep for tomorrow and maybe watch 30 min of TV to chill out. Bed around 10:30/11.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to meet a group for a quick 20 mi, pre-work bike ride, but the thought of having to get up at 4:45am is agonizing to me at the moment.

I guess my question is...should I push through and get in this last week of training, or should I just rest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Just curious, for 70.3 run leg do many ppl run with a bottle? Gel/gu flasks? Ham sandwich during T2?
I do not run with a bottle. I have seen a few people do it, and I cannot make sense of it. There is a crapton of water on most 70.3 run courses.

I do not do any gels or gus on the run either. For some reason, I have a hard time in triathlon runs getting anything down. Though, in my last HIM, I experimented with Skratch fruit drops, and those worked great. I may do those on the run in the future.

I would never eat a ham sandwich (or anything that heavy) in T2. At most, I would do something like a peanut butter sandwich. But for me, if I got the calories in during the bike, there is no need to add anything in T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Tomorrow I'm supposed to meet a group for a quick 20 mi, pre-work bike ride, but the thought of having to get up at 4:45am is agonizing to me at the moment.

I guess my question is...should I push through and get in this last week of training, or should I just rest?
Hmmmm. Ideally, this week should start to feel pretty good, as your workouts are pulling way back. Next week, you should feel great all week long. On one hand, missing a 20 mile ride is not going to hurt you much. And, if you are not normally in the routine of a 5 AM workout, then the quality will likely be pretty low. On the other hand, more training is generally a good thing. I would probably do the ride, but I tend to push through those kinds of feelings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Callin' wrote:
What nutrition are you practicing with now?.

<Blank stare. Crickets chirping..>

I'm lo-tech / no prep. Long work hrs and cold, wet Spring has laid waste to any planned buildup. I'm going in cold. Like the 1st dog shot into orbit.

It's funny that you mention the ole ham sandwich.

I've not seen many ham sandwiches at races. I had one on my first half...for T2. I just wasn't "feeling" it. Didn't need it. I typically wasn't doing a lot of gels at the time....because I was still trying to lose a lot of weight. There's a ton of calories in those things (that's the point). At the time I much would have rather had a slice of pizza later than 2-3 gels. That's a little beside the point now that I know how to manage my eating. Depending on how long you're out there, a good breakfast early enough and water throughout will get you through a large portion of the race safely. A fruit or a couple gels some sports drink....etc...that'll all cover the last 2-3 hours.

But, that being said.... a ham sandwich and a Salted Nut Roll (if available) or a Payday is my "goto" lunch on long rides. You can get them at any quality gas 'n' sip or grocery store. Being that it's part of my long riding when I'm either just riding or 'training'....I plan on making it part of my day on my first full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice your transitions. Not so much to see how long it takes to tie your shoes, but to take a mental inventory of what you need to do in the order you need to do it in.

For example T1:
-Arrive to bike with wetsuit in hand.
-Place wetsuit in bag
-Towel off feet (should already be easy to reach)
-put on socks (in the shoes, one in each)
- put on shoes
-take sunglasses from helmet
- put on helmet (should be upside down on your bike with sunglasses already in them)
-take bike off rack

Etc. That should really be it. Everything else can and should be done beforehand (water, gels, etc.)

You don't need to do this in this exact order but if you make a checklist of all the actions you need to take, then you can organize yourself appropriately. More important, you can figure out what you can do before the race starts to minimize your time while in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least two weeks from race day theres really nothing more to do to make you stronger. The training is done the goal two weeks out is to not get hurt or sick. If your feeling really tired I would rest. I've had it all happen before a race. I split my knee two weeks from my first half ironman and got 5 staples. three days from another rack I got really sick. I've also had some of the best races when I rested, stretched and fueled my body and PR.d huge. Have fun and enjoy the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: the 4:45AM bike ride (!!!!), I vote for sleeping in. You sound stressed out and even said that you are tired right now. Messing up a night's sleep for that is a waste IMO.

Have fun in the 70.3! They're great and you'll soon be hooked. I was a n00b just last year and I'd say the biggest difficulty I ran into in multiple 70.3s was eating too much on the bike towards the later end of it. My stomach was in knotts quickly during the run because I had downed like 2 cliff bars in the final 30-45 minutes of the bike split and it just hadn't settled yet. I've been having much better experiences by "front loading" the food earlier on in my bike split - which let's me avoid becoming crazy hungry towards the end and allows the stomach to be mostly empty by the run's start. I definitely would not down a heavy sandwich in T2 - you have a 1/2 marathon to run just after.... think about that!

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and one final tip.... PLEASE, ride on the right and pass on the left. Most courses become quite crowded and this will help keep it safe for you and others!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Tips for First 70.3 [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
Oh, and one final tip.... PLEASE, ride on the right and pass on the left. Most courses become quite crowded and this will help keep it safe for you and others!
And if/when you race in a country that drives on the left, remember to do the opposite!

On the topic of running with bottles in hand......No!
I don't get this. You don't need to drink that often, there'll be water on the course. Throw some at your face as you run through the stations on course if you're really going for it. Walk through the stations and take your time to have a few mouthfuls if you're in less of a hurry. I see people out for what I'm pretty sure is 3km to 5km jog carrying water bottles and it nearly makes me cry. Surely nothing could ruin a run as much as a bottle sloshing in your hand? And how can you need water when you're going to be out well under an hour (not in high temperatures either)? Obviously on a 70.3 run you will be needing some water but it'll be provided. Take advantage of that. Don't drink too much at any one time, a few mouthfuls at most or you may get uncomfortable. But a few mouthfuls every few kilometers should be enough, no?

If you want your own gels, store them on the bike and transfer them to your tri-suit pockets before you finish the ride, or just leave them in T2 and grab them before you run. The latter saves space on the bike but you may forget them and it costs you a few seconds. I wouldn't dream of eating a sandwich of any sort. If you want "real food" I'd have a banana or two on the bike. You want easily swallowed and digested, high energy food. You could try cereal bars on the bike too. I quite like them on slower long training rides but don't like eating them when the intensity is higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Might be too late in the week to help, but...) I say push through but go to bed earlier. If you can get out of work earlier, great! If not save whatever time you can here and there. Pack your dinner and eat on the way home. At least save 30 min by not watching tv.

Good luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next