Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting

smallard

Jun 22, 12 12:26

Post #1 of 5 (805 views)
Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting Quote | Reply

I just got a 2011 Cervelo P3 (Ultegra model) and am having gear shifting problems.

The problem typically happens when shifting from the small ring to the large ring. The chain seems to jam up against the front derailleur, thus locking the crank. At this point , I have no option but to dismount and untangle it.

My LBS assures me the bike is in perfect working order. If so, then I guess Iím doing something stupid. Iím familiar with the ďbest practiceĒ of shifting when the chain is in the middle of the cassette but it doesnít seem to help.

FYI that this is my first tri bike, but I've down 1000s of miles on my road bike (Trek Madone 5.2) which has exactly the same Ultegra chainset and Iíve never had any problems with it, itís been bulletproof.

The main difference is the friction shifter on the P3 which does take some getting used to.

Can anyone advise what Iím doing wrong, because this is very frustrating. I cannot even begin to consider using this for a race until I know this problem is behind me.

Thanks.

jackmott

Jun 22, 12 12:32

Post #2 of 5 (798 views)
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [smallard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

the front derailleur is not adjusted properly

find a new LBS or learn to adjust the front derailleur by yourself. Park Tools has a website with instructions.

Shifting should be no different than any other bike. Also some small possibility that chainrings are installed backwards or something.

ATC Racing announces program to help women get started in bike racing
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter

Al5

Jun 22, 12 15:06

Post #3 of 5 (738 views)
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [smallard] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

smallard wrote:
I just got a 2011 Cervelo P3 (Ultegra model) and am having gear shifting problems.

The problem typically happens when shifting from the small ring to the large ring. The chain seems to jam up against the front derailleur, thus locking the crank. At this point , I have no option but to dismount and untangle it.

My LBS assures me the bike is in perfect working order. If so, then I guess Iím doing something stupid. Iím familiar with the ďbest practiceĒ of shifting when the chain is in the middle of the cassette but it doesnít seem to help.

FYI that this is my first tri bike, but I've down 1000s of miles on my road bike (Trek Madone 5.2) which has exactly the same Ultegra chainset and Iíve never had any problems with it, itís been bulletproof.

The main difference is the friction shifter on the P3 which does take some getting used to.

Can anyone advise what Iím doing wrong, because this is very frustrating. I cannot even begin to consider using this for a race until I know this problem is behind me.

Thanks.

Had the same issue w the same bike. I was riding a Felt road bike w Dura Ace before.

Try not exerting much force as your changing gears. I found that w my road bike I would 'smash' through the gears. With my Ultegra P3 I 'ease' into the big ring.

styrrell

Jun 22, 12 15:14

Post #4 of 5 (722 views)
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [jackmott] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Yeah Jack's correct. The P3 has pretty short chainstays which make the shifting on the front a bit finicky. But not so much that jamming should occur. That said FD can be very touchy. i've made tiny height and rotational differences on my TT bike and its amazing how much difference an almost imperceptable change can make.
Styrrell

(This post was edited by styrrell on Jun 22, 12 20:04)

TheCFlynn

Jun 22, 12 18:08

Post #5 of 5 (654 views)
Re: Newbie Question - Cervelo P3 Gear Shifting [styrrell] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I had the same problem with a similar bike, '08 P2C. Wound up having to do the same thing- ease into the shift. Also had to make certain I wasn't in an extreme gear (high or low) when moving from small to big chain ring.