Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie Goggle question
Quote | Reply
After 4 months of lessons, I'm finally feeling confortable in the water. I've noticed that when I first get in, in spite of what seems to be a good fit, the goggles seem to leak for about 5 minutes, after which they work great ( both water gear and seals). Is this because the "rubber" needs to warm up, or because of residual oil on my face or what?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Goggle question [josermd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly residual oil on your face. Get your face wet and your goggles wet first. That helps with fogging too. And my last advice would be to go with Swedish goggles. They are the cheapest and the best. You can't beat that combination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, recommending Swedes for a newbie!?! I agree with A if FL that they are great goggles, but they are probably not for everyone. I have worn them for years, including 4 years of collegiate swimming, and love them, but they can be hard to get used to. They also need to be adjusted correctly to not leak, and they aren't particulary easy to adjust if you are not used to them. Once you have them adjusted, they are very comfortable, don't leak, and don't wear out as fast. They are only $4 at www.4swimwear.com, so you can try them without making a huge investement. If you know anyone who uses them, try theirs (have them adjust them for you).

All that being said, I have been experimenting with a Seal Mask for tris, easier to spot buoys, less likely to get smashed into eye socket if somone kicks you. I don't use it in the pool because it is unnecessary and goofy looking. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seal mask is the best...even in the pool. Never a link and you can see everything! All the goggles I had leeked once in a while. I heard that the Aquaman goggles where also great.

Find them at: http://www.sealmask.com/

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Goggle question [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know of plenty of people who have had various troubles with seal masks leaking and fogging. As with most goggles, they are pretty dependent on the shape of your face. I've tried them and frankly didn't think the fantastic view they were supposed to have was really any different.

As far as swedes being difficult to get used to, i think that is true possibly for the "real" swedes (the ones that come in a bag and you tie all the parts together). But a lot of places sell various versions that have easily adjustable straps, even silicone ones that will last forever, and Tyr even has a version with a softer component to the eye cup that is even more comfortable around the eye socket. But like you said, they are usually cheap enough to not feel guilty to try. Plus they look way cooler than a Seal Mask does!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Goggle question [A in Fl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Kaiman goggles - they are pricy, but fit me very well and the straps are really easy to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Goggle question [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't like the seal mask - easily gets knocked off in a crowded start - I also find it fogs easier.

Also, on another post there was a discussion about the hydrodynamic benefits of one type of wetsuit vs another - I would hazard a guess that a more hydrodynamic pair of goggles would be great and more efficient and I am no expert on hydrodynamics but the seal mask doesn't look very streamlined to me.

I like to race with no eye wear - no fogging - no getting knocked off. If you have never swum goggleless (sic?) then try it a few times. If the water you are swimming in is relatively clean it shouldn't be aproblem (in the pool it is different, the chlorine will kill your eyes)..

My .02

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is like Tom D. preeches with bikes. Go to a place that will fit you with a pair. All goggles are packaged so they can be opened and tried on(any good swim shop will not only allow you to-but they should insist). As we are all partial to certain shoes and bikes for good reason, so should we be with goggles.

You'll know when you have the right pair after trying on 6-10 in the store.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Goggle question [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adjusting the swedes is pretty easy if you use part of the head strap as a nose piece instead of the string and macaroni set-up that it comes with. For $4, they're worth a try for a couple weeks of practices, and I like the sense of security I get from the double head strap.

Funny how the fish crowd can get so attached to one style of goggles and not even think of wearing anything else. (myself included) I can remember people who actively hoarded their Hind Compy stash for the couple years when they were out of production. Goggles that were merely "compy-style" would not do.
Quote Reply