Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [jupp007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used P5, every time. Don't get hung up on the P5-6 as the P5-3 is every bit as fast out of the box and can be made faster.
Quote Reply
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
One other item that never seems to come up - In the wind tunnel the P5X and P5-6 (outside the margin of error) was slightly faster, very slightly ...... but unless you put our optimized chain on those two bikes ....all things being equal, the Tactical is faster on the road - just say'n :-)

Having pre-optimised equipment is one of the extras I was referring to and certainly takes away a lot of hassle for the rider.

However, the impact of the chain doesn't appear to negate the aero difference.
I can't find any data that you have released on the relative performance of your chain, but I do have the Ceramicspeed data in my model.

Which shows that for a leading AG rider on a low wind day the P5-6 with normal DA chain would still have a 35s advantage over the Tactical with optimised chain. In fact this difference applies for a wide range of riders (power/speed).
Of course - to prove your point for a specific case - on a higher yaw day the combination of the Tacticals improvement at yaw and the chain cancel that entirely. But it's not possible (based on available data) to make a generalisation that the chain cancels the aero difference.

And, if we're really nitpicking (which is obviously something I like to do), the P5-6 is not the fastest configuration of that frame (as Grill will happily point out too), nor is it hard to get a good chain (from you or MSW or CS).

There is no dispute that the package you offer is an easy way for a rider to be competitively set up in every aspect out of the box. And that any remaining performance advantages are either uncommon or $$$. In no way am I trying to denigrate what you offer.
The point I'm contending is when people infer 'fastest' from data that doesn't show that.

(but it's fine to say "as fast in certain conditions" ;-))
Quote Reply
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [jupp007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with cyclenuntz. P5-6 is way too much hassle for a beginner.

Besides what others said — the Tactical or the P3 from your local shop are good options— you really need to consider the whole purchase experience for your options. I just cannot imagine that the end to end purchase and ownership experience in the U.S. is going to be any good from Canyon in the first year or two they are here. Everyone is talking about fit, which is right, but Canyon won’t even swap out a one piece stem/bar component prior to selling you the bike directly. So then you go through this whole song and dance of ordering the bike, having it not fit, needing a full front end swap, etc.

I just don’t think direct to consumer is viable yet for a even moderately unsophisticated performance bike purchaser, especially a first time TT bike purchaser UNLESS a) you are buying a Tactical Premier Bike because Dan will personally reply to your emails and work with you on it or b) you have a service relationship with a local shop that can really help you get set up even if you bought it elsewhere. In either case you also need a quality fitter either virtual or local to help you get set up, and the likelihood of finding a quality fitter at your local bike shop seems to be low.

I would say order up the P3 from the shop and then buy the TriRig Alpha X and (or Profile Design Aeria Ultimate if you elect not to get fit first) and a TriRig Omega X front brake. Negotiate with the shop to do the install and setup of replacement stuff for free. Drop another $600 for power meter and, later on, maybe $1200 on a set of basically new Zipp 808s from the classifieds. Then with this P3, you have the Cervelo warranty on the frame and a local shop to help you out if anything happens with the bike. The P3 is easy to maintain and travel with and it’s as adjustable and just about as fast as anything out there in the setup I am describing.
Quote Reply
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew you were not going to just let that stand :-) - working on something :-). All good.

Premier Ultra Optimized chain is 5 watts.

I'm a Cervelo fan and very happy to be in the same sentence with them. The P3C was my bike for years and I still think its a fantastic bike. The engineering of the P5X is also really nice. I had a chance to meet the engineer that came up with the P3 design at TBI a few weeks ago. Great stuff.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I truly appreciate all of your comments. It's obviously a lot to digest and browsing through the comments there is no clear winner. The reason I am also struggling to make a decision is the cost for each option. The Canyon plus pedals and shipping will be around 5200-5300$, the P5 including pedals and carbon wheels is 5200$, whereas the P3 without pedals and carbon wheels was offered at 5040$ + tax. The other option my local shop offered was the QR PRfive at appr. 4900$. All things being equal the P3 is therefore the most expensive solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an alternative - P2 is the same frame as P3 so check if your store can do a deal similar to this on a P2 Di2 https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/12899
Add a few hundred for brake lever shifters (and a new junction box) if you want those. Then you've still got room for good bars and other little extras.
It's pretty easy to build a better (performancewise) bike than the stock P3 Di2 for the same price.
Quote Reply
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friends, thank you very much for your input. I finally decided to take a leap of faith and order the Canyon. I will let you know how it is working out but given the unbeatable value for the price I could not justify going with the Cervelo or QR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wanted to get an update on your purchase. like it, love it, regret it?

im in the same boat.

bought a completed 2017 IA 1 felt with DA 9150 Di2 with alto 56cm wheels for 5500$. not the right fit, so i can return the complete bike or swap out frame for 2018 p5-6 for an additional 1500$. also have the option of swapping the ia 1 out for the 2019 argon 18 E-119 Tri for 2000.

or returning the whole thing and getting a canyon.

decisions, decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: New tri bike - used P5 or new Canyon Speedmax 8.0 or new P3 [bigleaguechu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Absolutely love it! Used the Canyon for two competitions ever since and it fits perfectly. Surely, that’s a very personal thing on terms of body measurements, etc. but as a beginner/immediate you’ll appreciate the range of adaptations possible vs. the Cervelo.
bigleaguechu wrote:
wanted to get an update on your purchase. like it, love it, regret it?

im in the same boat.

bought a completed 2017 IA 1 felt with DA 9150 Di2 with alto 56cm wheels for 5500$. not the right fit, so i can return the complete bike or swap out frame for 2018 p5-6 for an additional 1500$. also have the option of swapping the ia 1 out for the 2019 argon 18 E-119 Tri for 2000.

or returning the whole thing and getting a canyon.

decisions, decisions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next