Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New to triathlons, why so many haters?
Quote | Reply
I'm new to triathlons and have been noticing that pure cyclists and pure runners in the community don't speak well of triathletes. For example, yesterday my good friend was at the "running" store and the workers were bashing on triathletes the whole time he was in there.

I really don't understand it. Can someone enlighten me? Why the hate?
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coz they can't swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because they don't have a cool forum like ST to hang out at.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "pure" cyclist's attitude towards triathletes has always reeked of insecurity. I'm not saying triathletes are better, but when you have such a hatred of other group that doesn't directly harm you, the problem is always you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:
I'm new to triathlons and have been noticing that pure cyclists and pure runners in the community don't speak well of triathletes. For example, yesterday my good friend was at the "running" store and the workers were bashing on triathletes the whole time he was in there.

I really don't understand it. Can someone enlighten me? Why the hate?

It's just a microcosm of our society. Haters everywhere. Browse through the threads here for a while. Plenty of hate for: people who think salt tablets help, Ryan Hall, The Flo Wheels Management Team, running drills to change your gait, minimalist running, Lance Armstrong, people who don't use the search function, WTC, etc.

Haters gonna hate.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [arcee52] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arcee52 wrote:
Coz they can't swim.

You mean triathletes can?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a phenomenon I've witnessed as well. Frankly, I don't get it. Triathletes tend to make pretty good customers so you'd think that they would be welcomed with open arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cliff version (edited with newest version):

Last edited by: 3Aims: Apr 23, 14 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because the average runner is a modern day hippy. Throw on a pair of shorts and a pair of shoes and go ffor a run. No real planning involved.

The average triathlete has special training plans, special gps watch, special shoes, special clothing, a fuel belt, a map of the route they are going to take, compression socks and compression sleeves. Well, you get the point.

The triathlete is trying to juggle 3 sports, which involves some recovery and some planning or else they might get injured. So the triathlete loads up on every way possible to avoid injury and to track the training done. The runner just goes out for a run and hopes not to step in dog crap, but if they do, not a big deal. Shirts are optional. Water is found at a local school fountain or garden hose.

Type A+ versus B.

Cyclists are another story all together, most because they think most triathletes handling skills suck. Which they do, but so do a lot of roadies, but they are too well color coordinated to admit it.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, if Tom Cruise gets a spot from Top Gun, then Patrick Swayze gets a spot for his SNL skit as a Chipendale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haters gonna hate.

But to answer your question.

Reason(s) why some runners/cyclists hate(dislike) triathletes:
(1) Assumption that triathletes are just average at each discipline
(2) Triathletes have poor bike handling skills
(3) Some Triathletes come to ST to brag about an IM then come to find out they cut the course
(4) Modern day US long course Triathletes have no chance winning at Kona
(5) Some Triathletes spend $10K on a bike and still can't go over 22MPH
(6) Some Triathletes train with race wheels and aero helmets on
(7) Some Triathletes think that walking the marathon during an IM is a "strategy"

Last but not least because on average AG Triathletes make more money than runners/cyclists...and we are simply better looking. lol
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its the fuel belt for every. single. run. No idea if that is just triathletes, but it seems like a lot of them do around here. They can't go out the door for a 3 mile jog without a fully stocked pantry around their waist.

Don't single sport athletes also have to build in recovery time? I don't see how that is anything unique to triathletes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
The "pure" cyclist's attitude towards triathletes has always reeked of insecurity. I'm not saying triathletes are better, but when you have such a hatred of other group that doesn't directly harm you, the problem is always you.

Well put! I couldn't agree more.

*cough*cough* crossfit *cough* slowtwitch *cough*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. I reloaded the right one with the T3 logo and Strava For Hire picture. Full time job keeping it up to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because after a hard group ride we sometimes take off our cycling shoes (with which we are not wearing socks), grab our running shoes from the car and ask who wants to go for a run (still sockless).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Because the average runner is a modern day hippy. Throw on a pair of shorts and a pair of shoes and go ffor a run. No real planning involved.

The average triathlete has special training plans, special gps watch, special shoes, special clothing, a fuel belt, a map of the route they are going to take, compression socks and compression sleeves. Well, you get the point.

The triathlete is trying to juggle 3 sports, which involves some recovery and some planning or else they might get injured. So the triathlete loads up on every way possible to avoid injury and to track the training done. The runner just goes out for a run and hopes not to step in dog crap, but if they do, not a big deal. Shirts are optional. Water is found at a local school fountain or garden hose.

Type A+ versus B.

Cyclists are another story all together, most because they think most triathletes handling skills suck. Which they do, but so do a lot of roadies, but they are too well color coordinated to admit it.

This proves my point in a way. In my opinion, nothing in the first part of your post justifies one group of people hating another. All the extra crap that triathletes do has no effect on runners but the judgment exists anyway. Of course there's a ton of this on ST as well.

The 2nd part is spot on. Triathletes have a long (and deserved) history of being crappy bike handlers...especially those who ride on their aero bars in a group and freak everyone out. Now every roadie just assumes that a triathlete on a bike is dangerous. Yes, even the roadies who can't ride in a straight line for 5 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about hate, but there definitely is a sense of finding the other culture laughable. Much like the 12 year old girls in the lane next to me at the Y this morning. I was feeling good about my swim splits on 100LCM and they were lapping me doing breast stroke.

I could hear their laughter under water and it hurts man, it hurts...
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:

I'm not taking it personally or anything, but as a cyclist I have an odd sort of tango with triathletes. I suspect I would appear similarly out of phase in a tri scene, but my observation is that it is a rare triathlete in a group ride who isn't drumming to a different beat and not in tune with the ride. I also think many of them don't respect the machine. My bike is a piece of functional art and I would never take a piss on it, even in a race.

I only mention these things if asked and they are easily remedied. I actually enjoy talking equipment and aero techniques with triathletes and I feel like the more the merrier. There is more common ground than difference because we can all agree that the real enemy is crossfit. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of the resentment from cyclists comes from the fact that triathlon has become the driving force for bike sales. Bike companies are quickly realizing they need to build products for triathletes not cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you feel bad about yourself, you bash other people.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
Because after a hard group ride we sometimes take off our cycling shoes (with which we are not wearing socks), grab our running shoes from the car and ask who wants to go for a run (still sockless).

Why would you go and jeopardize the value of a high-quality bike workout with a low-quality run afterwards?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
You know, if Tom Cruise gets a spot from Top Gun, then Patrick Swayze gets a spot for his SNL skit as a Chipendale.

You took the shot. And broke a major rule of aerial combat!

Let's stay serious here.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I like getting funny looks and when people ask me questions like yours.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons, why so many haters? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
arcee52 wrote:
Coz they can't swim.

You mean triathletes can?

Until your reply, I'd read that arcee52's post as runners and cyclists hating triathletes because triathletes can't swim.

Works either way, I guess :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're hanging out with the wrong athletes?

I've always found that the most pure cyclists and runners actually appreciate and encourage anyone who is participation in their discipline. The pure athletes are welcoming and awesome! I've encountered the occasional douche, but I wouldn't list them as pure ___ (anything), other than maybe douche.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next