Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Triathlon - Base Training Plan
Quote | Reply
Hey All - as a new triathlete, I'm lucky to have the internet and all of it's resources. Problem is there's too much info. I need some direction on locating a base training plan to utilize over the next few months until I graduate to a competition plan a few months before my primary race this coming summer, Challenge AC 70.3. I can't afford a coach at this moment and my work schedule as a restaurant GM doesn't allow consistent time to be available for weekly coaching anyhow. Plenty of hours to train, just typically odd hours. So - who can tell me where I can find the best (most informative, easy to understand, maximum gains) training plans for a new triathlete looking to compete in long course?

I have a solid running and bike background, speed needs to increase, but base distances are already beyond the 70.3 legs. Swimming is a whole different story.

Thanks for the help. This forum has been a godsend so far.

Cheers,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: New to Triathlon - Base Training Plan [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pick up 2 books:

Triathlete's Training Bible (Joe Friel)

Swim Speed Secrets (Sheila Taormina).

Those 2 will give you enough info to design your own base plan, and improving your stroke.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New to Triathlon - Base Training Plan [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI Jason, what is it about Swim Speed Secrets that you like? I have been thinking about getting this for awhile, a good endorsement from you will seal it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Triathlon - Base Training Plan [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simple to understand, and she really hits on the stuff that really matters, lots of analogies and photos / illustrations to help you visualize a proper pull. It is very focused on the one thing that matters for most open water swimmers / triathletes, which is the pull.

I read it a few months ago, and I picked up a few useful tidbits (most of it I already knew, some I knew before but forgot, some was brand new but made sense). I don't recall sepcifically what was in there now, but it was definitely the most accessible book on swimming freestyle that I've read.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New to Triathlon - Base Training Plan [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not certain it's the "Best" or most effective plan out there but it is free and gives you the structure you lack from the sounds of things.

http://www.triradar.com/training-advice/half-ironman70-3-triathlon-training-plans/

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply