Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites
Quote | Reply
Read an article on Bike Radar earlier today, products will be introduced at Eurobike but website is already open (maybe it's been for a while... I don't know) : Knight Composites

The website is worth reading. I'll try and check them out in between two meetings at Eurobike next week :-) .
Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they have some engineering firepower behind the brand. Still not dropping 3 grand on a pair of wheels, no matter how fast they are.
Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
Looks like they have some engineering firepower behind the brand. Still not dropping 3 grand on a pair of wheels, no matter how fast they are.

But that $3000 will save you 32.5 seconds in an Oly!!!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a weebly website???

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen these in person. Michael Larsen won the masters Cascade Classic time trial stage on them...well the front one anyway.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as soon as they said testing at Faster, interest was over :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fail to see the appeal of full carbon clinchers. Been there done that. Prefer Jet/Flo/Hadron with aluminum brake surfaces. Swiss Side is sponsoring a public wind tunnel face off in about a week between the Hadrons and whatever wheels the media care to bring along. Should be very interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
as soon as they said testing at Faster, interest was over :)

That probably isn't warranted for wheel testing.

Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides the small weight advantage, they should be a little bit more aero, since none of the metal rims companies currently shape their metal rim on their deep wheels. But only if all else was equal.

that could be fixed though!

Scott_B wrote:
I fail to see the appeal of full carbon clinchers. Been there done that. Prefer Jet/Flo/Hadron with aluminum brake surfaces. Swiss Side is sponsoring a public wind tunnel face off in about a week between the Hadrons and whatever wheels the media care to bring along. Should be very interesting.

Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

said with conviction. say it like you mean it ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, just one more high-end aero wheel company with their own take on aero, and at those prices, I'd just get ENVE's. If they're going to compete at that price point, they should match ENVE's 5 year warranty, and give us some videos of the tests they put the wheels through, like ENVE does with their wheels and bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant probably!

jeffp wrote:
Quote:

said with conviction. say it like you mean it ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why someone like HED hasn't tried to shape their brake tracks. If it's due to cost, I don't see how that's a valid reason when people are paying above $3000 for wheels

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the lawyer or anything... ahah... but there are some videos on the website : http://www.knightcomposites.com/testing/
Most of these tests are quite standard (I've seen them in other factories), but this is what you were looking for. Don't know about the warranty, maybe when the wheels are available this information will show up.
Quote Reply
Re: New interesting wheel company : Knight Composites [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason is most likely tooling cost for testing/ development. To the best of my knowledge most aluminum rims are made via an extrusion process. To change the shape a new die would need to used (think the play-doh spaghetti maker thing). The cost of this is much higher than simply carving out the molds used for development of carbon rims.
Quote Reply