Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
available on January 1 at $999 according to dcrainmaker.com.

<CLUNK>

That was the sound of CT's sales hitting the floor, as of 1/2/2013.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it'll probably be sooner since you figure they'll have preorders for the holiday season! amazing how little CT has done to innovate their product.
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and now I know when to get rid of my CT by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, hoping for 6-700

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about to drop money on a CT so this is a welcome $$ savings for what is looking to be a way better product. Wish it was out a little bit early though. What am I suppose to open on Christmas morning now?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Zipp CC disc?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno if I missed it...

But I'm after a trainer that simulates so-and-so course (with nice video to go along with it), and I know the Kickr has resistance that changes (i.e., like going uphill, or maybe even headwinds), but what about going downhill or tailwinds? Do you still have to keep pedaling?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you still have to keep pedaling? "

(this is surely to come across wrong) do you mean "motorized"? you can coast, but it will slow down at what ever rate the fly wheel lets it. so the 'downhill' would be rather short in that instance.

I am like a kid in a candy shop that NEEDS this thing now! i was/am planning on getting one, but now i'm stuck with the next 3 months of indoor* starting without it. ugh..

*time constraints

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
I dunno if I missed it...

But I'm after a trainer that simulates so-and-so course (with nice video to go along with it), and I know the Kickr has resistance that changes (i.e., like going uphill, or maybe even headwinds), but what about going downhill or tailwinds? Do you still have to keep pedaling?

The key to simulating a realistic "road feel" in an indoor trainer all comes down to the design and size of the flywheel and it's moment of inertia-- the resistance to change in rotation. In order to be able to simulate that coasting feeling for downhills or flats, we want a high moment of inertia so that the flywheel continues to spin at roughly the same velocity as when we stopped pedaling. So for super road feel, we just want huge flywheels right? Well, not quite, the same thing works in reverse. If we have a huge flywheel, the high moment of inertia also wants to preserve the state of the flywheel when it's not moving or moving slow, so basically acceleration is sluggish and it's hard to get up to speed.

The flywheel on the KICKR appears (from previous discussions in this thread) to be moderately sized. Sounds like it will be way better than the tiny flywheel on say the CompuTrainer or many other trainers, but not as big as say the Velotron (which is basically a flywheel with pedals) or even the similarly designed (similar to KICKR) LeMond Revolution.

Of those two competitors I just mentioned, The Velotron is functional, but antiquated in electronic and software design, and very expensive, and the LeMond does not control resistance.

So to answer your question, no, it will not be exactly like being outside, but it most likely will be better than any of it's actual competition.
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
...and now I know when to get rid of my CT by.

X2...

And we now the price too 999 + shipping and feed lol

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Wahoo site they say the Kickr is "iPhone powered". Does this mean you have to feed it iPhones to keep it working?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should last about a week on a 4s, that's hat we were feeding it at interbike. I bet it could go a month on an iPhone 5. Maybe just a couple hours on the original iPhone.... ;-)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next