Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help!
Quote | Reply
I"m looking for a new bike that is a better fit than my current bike, please help b/c I have gotten nowhere!

I'm a short female (5'3") so that already seems to knock out a large selection of bikes. I currently ride a 2012 size 48 Cervelo P2. I don't think I can get to the best position on this bike based on my fit measurements and trying out different arrangements especially when I prefer shorter cranks. But researching bikes on my fit measurements, I can't find a single bike that falls within range. Maybe I just don't understand what I'm looking for. So, I'm reaching out to a wide knowledge base for some help to find a bike that will get me closer to my ideal position that gives me more range to play in than my current bike!

So I have had two separate bike fits:

F.I.S.T (#s based on 155 crank length): Pad stack = 535, Pad reach = 480, saddle height = 655, Seat angle 79 deg,
Guru (#s based on 160 crank length): Pad stack = 560, Pad reach = 482, saddle height 679.

These fits were almost 2 years apart and the Guru fit was a quicky just to get an idea of bikes that might fit within my range. The F.I.S.T was very thorough. I have more data, but just looking at stack/reach, I can't find a good bike in that range.

From what I can tell, I'm currently riding at a stack of 540 and a reach of 445 and I constantly want to push more forward off my pads as I'm riding. I feel very scrunched up and I already have a 100mm stem on the front. I have some other #s, but figured this is a good start. What am I missing?? None of the bike shops around me have any inventory in my size to try out so before I drive 2 hours to branch out, I'd like to narrow it down, but not having any luck yet!
Last edited by: rinliz: Jan 6, 18 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be confusing Pad X,Y with Frame Stack and Reach. Pad X,Y of 480, 535 should be achievable on most 48cm bikes depending on the stem and aerobars. Without doing the math, that should be a simple set up on a 48cm P2 with the Profile bars and my choice of stems.

You can see it is just barely too low on a Felt IA series, but close enough. Dagger stem does it no problem. You've got plenty of options.

You definitely don't want 160 cranks, and ideal is probably under 155, but the fit bike likely didn't have a shorter option. The good news is you can probably (barely) avoid 650 wheels.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 6, 18 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A saddle height of 655 and reach of 480 tells me you are short legged and long body but that 480 really stands out to me.

I'm 5'4 and my pad reach is 445 to the center of the pads and I'm long-bodied.

Perhaps some aerobars like the Profile Design T4 would work better for you so you can move your pads out more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're also right in here.

Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pad offset should only be about 20mm from what I can tell, so looking at the stack/reach charts on most brand websites, my stack and reach never fall within their sizes. So far I can not get the pads forward enough on my cervelo and there is not a stem long enough to put me in that 480 range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify a couple of things:
1. Pad reach measured to centre of pads?
2. What is your saddle setback from the FIST fit (it's likely best to discard the Guru one)
3. Are there particular bikes you have in mind or you just want the increased reach?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Yes, reach was to center of pads
2. I don't see Saddle set back listed, the rest of the measurements are:
seat angle: 79 deg
Knee angle 147 deg
Hip angle 100 deg
cockpit 72.5
extension length 29.0
armrest drop 10
saddle height 65.5
saddle to arm rest 46.5
armrest width 21-23
It was also on an adomo TT saddle which he mentioned was important.
3. Really I just want the increased width. I loved my cervelo, but their stack/reach charts didn't appear to be a good fit. I'm looking to upgrade as well to SRAM etap as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
Pad offset should only be about 20mm from what I can tell, so looking at the stack/reach charts on most brand websites, my stack and reach never fall within their sizes. So far I can not get the pads forward enough on my cervelo and there is not a stem long enough to put me in that 480 range.

Let's get our terms correct. Stack and Reach is a frame measurement. What we are talking about is Pad X,Y. Your Pad X of 480 is attainable on the first three manufacturer X,Y charts I looked at. Felt IAs stretch out to 495 in size 48 (not even going to the dagger stem), Cervelo P5 goes to 480+ a the lower configs, and the Orbea Ordu in XS goes close to 500. P5X gets there as well.

I'm telling you, you can get a pad x of 480 on just about anything in size small. It'a long but not crazy. What are you looking at and how are you interpreting it that indicates otherwise?

Pad offset is what it is, and 100mm isn't that long of a stem anyway.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 6, 18 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reach yes, but usually the reach doesn't correspond to the shorter stack. I can't get the pad x, y on the same bike.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
1. Yes, reach was to center of pads
2. I don't see Saddle set back listed, the rest of the measurements are:
seat angle: 79 deg
Knee angle 147 deg
Hip angle 100 deg
cockpit 72.5
extension length 29.0
armrest drop 10
saddle height 65.5
saddle to arm rest 46.5
armrest width 21-23
It was also on an adomo TT saddle which he mentioned was important.
3. Really I just want the increased width. I loved my cervelo, but their stack/reach charts didn't appear to be a good fit. I'm looking to upgrade as well to SRAM etap as well.

Here is your 48cm P2 with an Alpha X bar. And if you can get it with that, you can get it with others. A basic Profile set up will do the same thing and you can use a 60mm or a 120mm stem with ZERO issue.

Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 6, 18 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you live?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is your saddle height different by over one inch between the two fits?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Why is your saddle height different by over one inch between the two fits?

Maurice

Right?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
Virginia Beach

I'm in Richmond if you want to sort this out in person, but assuming your numbers are good (one set of them anyway), I'm just not seeing the problem. We are in the age of "my tri bike is hard to get long enough". Welcome to the club!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a said, 2 different fits, 2 different fitters, 2 different machines. 2nd was a quick fit and different crank lengths maybe. I'm mostly working off the f.i.s.t fit. I was very comfortable in that fit less so on the second
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
Like a said, 2 different fits, 2 different fitters, 2 different machines. 2nd was a quick fit and different crank lengths maybe. I'm mostly working off the f.i.s.t fit. I was very comfortable in that fit less so on the second

Ok,

Your options are (likely) another fit, say Eric or Dave if they are close...or perhaps a video and a free ST fit via consensus.

The disparity between the two saddle heights (especially given your leg length) is odd.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New bike shopping is hard for my fit (small female), help! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The F.I.S.T. #s came from Dave :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that you Rinny? Give us some running tips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly recommend Giant's Liv series. They will fit. Furthermore they are quite pretty!

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
The F.I.S.T. #s came from Dave :)

That's pretty funny. You've got me justifying my own fit. Looking at the sheet from 1/31/15 right now.

Saddle setback was 0 with an Adamo TT. I indicated in my notes that you gave good feedback. I recall feeling good about the fit. it's long, but right.

If you want to come back and get on the bike again, I'll consider it a follow up. I'm better now anyway.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 6, 18 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I did say that was the one I was most confident in :) glad you agreed! I just can't find a bike that makes sense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
Hey I did say that was the one I was most confident in :) glad you agreed! I just can't find a bike that makes sense!

Well, hopefully I have pointed out that plenty of bikes will work with these numbers. I would go further and say I don't care what you are looking at online, anything ballpark 48cm with a Profile front end and my choice of stem will work. Cervelo P series, FELT IA or B, QR PR series... you're gonna be fine.

Your 2012 P2 still have the stock 3T bars? Not a lot of pad fore/aft on those. Profile clip ons and a 110 stem probably get you there.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 6, 18 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. I'll email more specifics in the am! Thanks for all the responses!
Quote Reply

Prev Next