Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks sharp. Di2, computer mount, GoPro, and light integration are pretty slick. Turning flaps look a little funky.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the bike radar video, I thought that was odd as well. Turning flaps? That's a new one

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked this bike. I was even considering buying one, but then I saw the prices and I said yikes. Just seems terribly over priced, bummer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Codename: Ugly Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the only way to get an H1 frame is to spend huge coin. Seems kind of dumb. I guess we'll have to wait till next year for the affordable stuff to come out.

It still looks to be 3-4 watts slower than the S5 at zero yaw.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 . . . and the intergrated stem and handlebar makes a big come-back! :)

Seen this on the other super aero-road bikes launched recently as well!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [hankscorpio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hankscorpio wrote:
Codename: Ugly Venge

Irony Alert - The Venge's codename is Ugly Madone.

(For the record, I think both bikes look great.)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked out the Canadian website. Bicycle prices are ridiculous now.
The Madone, from the 'low end, normal looking' 7.5, to the 9.9, ranges in price from $8500 to $17000. WTF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So they've released a single chart detailing the aero data? No testing details/protocol. That's disappointing.

I wanted to like this bike. But I just see a giant headache.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
So they've released a single chart detailing the aero data? No testing details/protocol. That's disappointing.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is the H1 fit 1,000$ more for the exact same frame but with different geometry? Really? Mechanical ultegra at 6300 is insane, just crazy. Even with a very good discount that a local shop offers to team cat 1/2/3's (cost + cc fees) the frame is still more than a MSRP s-works venge. I wonder if Trek is just trying to get the big dollar buyers right now who just have to have the new stuff and then in a year will drop the price substantially? Because right now that is the lest competitive pricing of the entire market. The new venge is pretty crazy in pricing as well, but you know specialized in the next year will offer a lower end model that is more competitive in pricing or continue the old venge.

I have nothing at all against Trek, they sponsor our local team, but their pricing on the road end is nuts. Now in contrast their cross pricing is very fair in my opinion and one of the best frame lineups around, MTB is good too. The TT frame is slightly high but again not crazy considering their competitions pricing. This though is a new level of expensive, at least they could have dropped the old madone frame down 1k...nope still starts at 4100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No project one yet?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Why is the H1 fit 1,000$ more for the exact same frame but with different geometry?

Its OCLV 700 (H1) vs OCLV 600 (H2)

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

Paging Carl at Trek HQ, paging Carl.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:

Yeah, if you look at the chart, it looks like the s5 is really only has a bit more drag on the non-drive side at yaw over about 7.5. Otherwise they are basically about the same. The S5, except for the stupid BBright standard, would be infinitely easier to live with.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

Yeah, if you look at the chart, it looks like the s5 is really only has a bit more drag on the non-drive side at yaw over about 7.5. Otherwise they are basically about the same. The S5, except for the stupid BBright standard, would be infinitely easier to live with.

Praxis and Wheels Mfg make such great adapters at this point for most of the wonky standards that I dont get too bent out of shape about that stuff.

Here sits the S5, 4 years old (3 years?) and still arguably at the top of the heap - or in the same conversation. Aero wise at least.

Curious to me is that Trek has explicitly called out that they tested an AR2 - which would be mechanical. And with what bar? What bar was used with all other bikes tested? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Jun 30, 15 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek uses BB90 which is either as frustrating or worse than BBRight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the aero data at?

Also, why does a bike have turning flaps?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree on the aftermarket bb for S5. Yeah bbright is stupid (at least as far as making a different standard). But you can put a wheels mfg., Praxis or Kogel bb in and forget about it.
I have a Kogel bb in my 2015 S5- total install and forget. Once in it is as seamless as my King bb on my ti bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its also shows how much more bike companies think road riders are prepared to spend vs mountain bikers. If you compare the three new bikes they launched (Top Fuel, Madone, Procaliber) the tricked out highest end Procaliber is $8399 and Top Fuel $9449. They want $6299 for the new madone with mechanical Ultegra and basic wheels and over $13k for the high end one (USD). I don't known enough about mtb components to directly compare the technology on the bikes but at a minimum it shows they think road riders are willing to shell out more to get the newest "fastest" bike than our mtb equivalences.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Madone - Bear Witness is Live! [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The amount of non-standard hardward and parts on the bike are astounding. Desiging, manufacturing, and coordinating the production of those pieces is expensive. How expensive, idk, but that surely all adds to the price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the flaps have to be there for clearance with the internal brake. It is also there to make sure your dealer's service department can charge you for replacing them when they inevitably break.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

Praxis and Wheels Mfg make such great adapters at this point for most of the wonky standards that I dont get too bent out of shape about that stuff.

Here sits the S5, 4 years old (3 years?) and still arguably at the top of the heap - or in the same conversation. Aero wise at least.

Curious to me is that Trek has explicitly called out that they tested an AR2 - which would be mechanical. And with what bar? What bar was used with all other bikes tested? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

They probably tested the new s5. That being said, I think they are basically the same CdA wise.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better pack a few spares. Probably a PITA for travel if you have it laying in the car with the bars turned or something.
Quote Reply

Prev Next