Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Road laws in Province of Ontario
Quote | Reply
Sept 1 and there are new laws in Ontario that, if enforced, are great for Triathletes. I think there will be motivation from municipalities as fines are pretty large and even tickets after the fact (contact between car and bike) allow for driver culpability. The way they are written is favorable to the cyclist, pedestrian, not the driver. They put most responsibility on drivers (how they are enforced is another matter).

1. Distracted driving $1000 fine, this entails talking on or even looking at your phone (looking down) while driving. Although it will take a while, it may change some behavior at least for those that shell at $1000 and get 6 points.

2. Three foot rule on passing cyclists no matter where the cyclist is in the road, and this includes the car being stopped and "dooring" a cyclist. Even opening your car door into a cyclist without contact is a $300-1000 fine and 3 points. Again while hard to enforce, if will result in a ticket for the driver if a cyclist gets "doored", thus making the driver culpable for damage to you and your bike.

3. Crosswalk/Pedestrian crossings (continuous running trails with street crossings), have to be completely clear for the entire road (both sides) before drivers can pass through them.

I don't think for one second this will change over night, but it is a shift in the right direction in changing the culture. It can be done, it was done with the "move over for a stopped emergency vehicle". Almost everyone moves into the left lane now to give police more room.

Here's hoping.
Quote Reply
Re: New Road laws in Province of Ontario [Craig P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think for one second this will change over night, but it is a shift in the right direction in changing the culture. It can be done, it was done with the "move over for a stopped emergency vehicle". Almost everyone moves into the left lane now to give police more room.

I agree with you - it's a start. I think you are reading a bit too much into it at the start of your post. As for the moving over for the Police, I still see many drivers not doing this.

However, back to the bike/automobile rule changes. It is forward movement, but it's going to be a long time. Motorists behavior, is very entrenched. The police already have their hands full. I doubt, again that this will result in any immediate changes.

I've test-drove the 1m pass-rule with a few motorists, who've passed me very closely and I have had an opportunity to catch up to them at a light or stop sign. I've barely got in a nice, "Hello, and do you know about . . ." before I've been told to *&^%off! I hope the Police have better luck.

I still regularly encounter motorists who tell me bikes shouldn't be on the road. I'm guessing the nuances of a 1m pass law will be lost on these folks!

My general sense is the situation out on the roads unfortunately between cyclists and motorists, if I had to gauge it is actually deteriorating!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Road laws in Province of Ontario [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for the bump, but I was encouraged to hear that the OPP were out in force this morning and the warnings were minimal and, they were hitting people up hard with the new fines for Distracted Driving - $450 and 3 demerit points.

I'm glad of this because when I am out driving myself, or cycling, I still see a 1/4 to 1/3 of motorists still flagrantly using a mobile phone while perhaps even more seem to be always looking down at their laps!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another law the government has been including in some advertisements has to do with reflectors on your bike. Specifically:

• A bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between ½ hour before sunset and ½ hour after sunrise, and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks.

I have no problem with the lights rule, but reflective tape on the forks? Maybe i'm just lazy but i really don't want to put tape all over my front and rear forks. Not sure if this would ever be enforced though chatting with a law enforcement official they mentioned that not having reflectors is just a reason for the police to pull over someone suspicious. I.E. not the road cyclist out in the country doing intervals but the sketchy stoner biking through the park at 4am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1 will be enforced by police because it's a revenue tool.

#2, #3 completely unenforceable. Toothless paper tiger laws which won't change "real life on the road" for anyone. And without enforcement, doubtful that public behaviour will be modified.
Quote Reply