Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM?
Quote | Reply
I am trying to decide on an early season race in 2015. I am considering New Orleans or Chattanooga and would like some input. I realize that Chattanooga is a new race, but I wanted some general thoughts in regards to picking a race.

New Orleans-April 19th
Pros
Early Season Race-Cash in on hard winter training to kick start the season
Weather-Low Heat and Humidity in April
New Orleans-Fun venue
Cons
Swim-Lake Ponchartrain Harbor...gas from boats in water?
Cost-Hotel rooms starting at $200
10 Hour Drive

Chattanooga-May 17th
Pros
Swim-Downstream swim
4 Hour Drive
Cons
Weather-Might be getting into hot and humid weather in late May
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM? [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote Chatt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither. Challenge Knoxville.

Pros:

Closer than NOLA (guessing based on what you said above)
Cheaper than the other 2 options (use MMTRI15 for 10% off the already lower price)
Get started qualifying for Knoxville 2016 which will be the regional championship and guaranteed to be an awesome race
Hotel rooms aren't expensive
Swim is nice

Cons:

Weather can be cold, but likely to be very similar weather in Chattanooga that day (BTW, April can be HOT and HUMID in NOLA)
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Dec 2, 14 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 for Knoxville....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between those two I'd vote NOLA. Although CHOO is a pretty cool venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was VERY impressed with IM Chattanooga last year! It is a wonderful venue. I'm sure the IM 70.3 race will also be fantastic! Hope to see you there! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on Chatt but did NOLA this year. Glad I did it because it was a weekend in NOLA, not necessarily because of the race. It was fine, but it was hot and windy (even the locals complaining). And check out the new run course. Absolutely awful IMO. Along the lake front and back (and that's lake pontchartrain, not some tree lined lake). No shade, one VERY large bridge to go over twice, several levees. At least in 2013 we got to turn into City Park at mile 8 ish and it got much nicer. out and back on the lake is torture. Administratively I get why they did it, less hassle for the RD and staff as well as racers. But I'd rather deal with the checkin issues (check n one place, drop off bike at another, than have to get back to lakefront after the race to get bike...)

And if you have any family coming leave them in NOLA while you race. There is nothing for them to do at the lakefront and they likely won't be able to come and go given traffic restrictions

Swim was fine, bit of a pain with the modified tt start, weird course, but not bad

Bike was flat but windy, sidewind the entire way. And oddly placed aid stations - 5, 12, 44, 50...... So don't lose your water.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 2, 14 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great input everyone! A few other things that concern me about New Orleans are the swim course and wind. The M shaped course has a lot of turns that could really slow down the swim. As well, I keep hearing how windy it is in New Orleans. That could be interesting on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in NOLA for a bit and the only time I ever really remember it being windy was when a squall was coming in off of the Gulf. I'd pick NOLA, but that's just because I would get to go to the city for a few days after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Thanks for the great input everyone! A few other things that concern me about New Orleans are the swim course and wind. The M shaped course has a lot of turns that could really slow down the swim. As well, I keep hearing how windy it is in New Orleans. That could be interesting on the bike.

The NOLA swim is a bit confusing, but really only between turns 1 and 2. Just sight to the left part of the white building, and you'll be fine. I did not find it to be a slow swim. The water is 25% gasoline, though. Bike course is fast and completely closed to traffic, which was nice. It can be a bit windy, but wind is everywhere.

As ChrisM mentioned, it was relatively hot this year (mid 80s and sunny). Don't let the April date fool you. Logistics are a bit of a hassle at NOLA, but I'd do it again just b/c I enjoy the city. It's a good destination race, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:

Swim was a bit slow for me but everyone is slow. Swim is not the reason (these days) to avoid NOLA.

accd to my garmin connect winds were 15 mph steady, but from the direct south, so it was from one side or the other or headwind for probably 90% of the course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not enjoy NOLA 70.3. The swim is alright, though a little confusing. I was told the bike is historically either a headwind out or back, but the winds changed this year and we had headwinds for maybe 60-70% of the race. The run course wasn't much fun. Wide open sun running down a road with a few small bridges/levees that you had to climb over twice (it was an out and back for the first 7 or so miles), I remember making about 5 or 6 small climbs in the first 6 miles. It was quite frustrating finishing a climb, coming down the other side, and already having the next small bridge in sight. I remember passing one participant as we both saw the next bridge and heard the participant say mumble the f bomb to themselves. It made for a good chuckle but I shared the frustration. I really can't say anything good about the run except for the last tenth of a mile in which you hear a brass band at the finish line.

I'm not sure that I would do NOLA 70.3 again. Warm dirty swim, lots of headwind on the bike, and a pretty boring and hot run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would avoid NOLA. I did this course this year and it was just a pain. The swim course is odd with to narrow a swimming lane and to many turns. The bike course and flat and boring. Whoever choose those locations for the aid stations is retarded.

The run on lake front was miserable, the only saving grace was the finish in city park and now this is gone.

For a city with some very scenic things they worked really hard to make a very ugly course.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM? [Netrepus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did NOLA last year and agree with what everyone said about not wanting to do the race again... and that was before they made the run course even worse this year.

According to the IM Tri Club FB page earlier today, Chat 70.3 only had 5 spots left so better decide quick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm local to Nola and have done the race nearly every year.

Usually it is not hot, but it can be (was last year). If it is, most are not acclimated, so that sucks. 2014 I was a minute slower but moved up several spots in the AG and overall, wind and heat just slowed the race down that much.

It is usually a windy ride, nothing ridiculous like blow you off the bike windy, but it is relentless and there will be very few breaks from it.

The swim course and TT start are a pain, but they guarantee that a full race happens, so we accept it and move on. It doesn't really slow you down, it justs requires that you pay attention to where you are going the whole time. It is protected so there will be some small wind driven current, but nothing more than chop on the surface, really no swell/waves possible.

If the run course stays how it has been posted, the race will be a good bit less fun for runners but better for families and spectators. Out and back along the lake for 6.5 miles is pretty boring, open to wind, no shade. You will however start and finish and T1,T2 at the same spot, which will make families happier. Also first and last 1.5 miles will suck hard (mix of airport, flood wall, tall bridge, etc).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Chattanooga sold out yesterday so unless you registered yesterday, looks like your mind was made up for you
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM? [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the notice on Chattanooga. I missed it before it sold out. I suppose New Orleans must be my destiny! The swim course does sound like a bit of a pain in terms of having a lot of turns, which will require good sighting and maneuvering between a lot of other swimmers. The gas thing sounds pretty disgusting, but there is nothing they can do about it. The bike should be no problem. I can deal with wind, since the course is relatively flat. I'm in Kentucky, so the hill training will have me ready. I would have thought the run would be flat as a pancake, but I guess not? That is something I was not aware of. I guess I better get my registration in before it sells out too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
I would have thought the run would be flat as a pancake, but I guess not?.

Nearly, you cross an industrial canal bridge twice, a low level bayou Saint John Bridge twice, and a few levee crossings. To anyone that doesn't live here, it is practically flat. If you live here, you know that these are the "hilliest" spots you can find in the area.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is not bad. There are extremely obvious landmarks that are useful. On leg 1 just aim for the far left corner. After turn 1 aim for the far left corner. After turn 2 aim for the edge of the boat slips, turn to finish.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the water quality really as bad as they say it is with gas? That sounds disgusting and hazardous. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad, no. There have been sections where it "smelled" of fuel but it's not an overwhelming stench like I've seen suggested. It's just a normal swim that happens to be in a harbor. Lots of sailboats in the slips. IM Louisville and Choo are far more disgusting swims in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess your decision is a little easier: Chattanooga 70.3 already sold out! I got in, but I was trying to motivate several friends to race as well. Looks like I'll be going alone (unless you count the other ~2500 people that registered.)

I guess we know which race won between Chattanooga and Knoxville. Flip side is that Chattanooga sellout can only help Knoxville with people looking for a half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Thanks for the notice on Chattanooga. I missed it before it sold out. I suppose New Orleans must be my destiny! The swim course does sound like a bit of a pain in terms of having a lot of turns, which will require good sighting and maneuvering between a lot of other swimmers. The gas thing sounds pretty disgusting, but there is nothing they can do about it. The bike should be no problem. I can deal with wind, since the course is relatively flat. I'm in Kentucky, so the hill training will have me ready. I would have thought the run would be flat as a pancake, but I guess not? That is something I was not aware of. I guess I better get my registration in before it sells out too.

Why? I think Knoxville will be a much better race and seems to have much higher participant approval from what I can tell.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans or Chattanooga HIM? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - Knoxville is a great venue. Challenging course, and there won't be the crowds and drafting of a WTC event. I hope the OP will at least give it some consideration.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done NOLA every year. It's been a nice race. The swim course is not difficult. It's roughly an "M" shape, and incredibly easy to navigate -- you've got a harbor wall parallel to your swim for the first stretch and only 25-50 yards away, so breathing to the left keeps you on course without the need to sight. At the first turn buoy, you just head for the corner of the huge boat shed, which you can't miss. At the second turn buoy (middle of the "M"), you turn and swim parallel to the ends of the docks -- breathe to the right and you don't need to sight forward. At the last buoy, you just turn toward the swim exit, which is only about 150 yards away. It's not crowded at the turn buoys because it's a TT start.

The bike course is mostly industrial and exposed. That's not ideal in a beautiful city with a tree canopy, but in exchange, the roads are all closed to vehicular traffic except for a short and well-patrolled stretch along the lake. There are cops at every intersection. Having dodged rednecks in trucks at other races (I'm looking at you, Panama City Beach), it's nice not to have to worry.

Yeah, the bike course is usually windy in April. But if there's no wind, it will probably be hot. You will want that wind on the run.

I don't like the looks of the new run course and finish area, as posted on the website. City Park (like last year) or any location in the French Quarter (like we were supposed to have last year) would be much better. The lake itself is pretty, but monotonous, and the airport/industrial area is just bleak. But this race has tended to vary the run course every year, even into the last few weeks or days, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are substantial modifications.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply

Prev Next