Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
touch screem with sweaty fingers, that ought to work just great, cuz i know how that works with my cell phone, or rather doesnt

You obviously haven't used an 800. I was skeptical at first too. I liked the buttons on my 705. But the touch interface of the 800 is way better. This is not your cell phone technology. On the downside, it isn't quite as responsive. On the upside, it works with thick gloves, in rain, always. You avoid many of the menu's. Such as changing fields. You press and hold a field. The joy stick button of the 705 was awesome when you were just sitting there, but try using it while riding.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Force Wheelz [ In reply to ]
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Rhymenocerus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rhymenocerus wrote:
Touchscreen 510? No thanks, buttons FTW.

My Forerunner 405 has the touch bezel and it drives me nuts when it gets wet.

The Forerunner 405 was crappy because of the problems stated. And that's why it's gone an replaced with the Forerunner 610 touchscreen technology.
I have one, and can safley say it works brilliantly.... even with wet, sweaty, muddy fingers.
I presume the 510 and 810 will use the same technology, and therefore be just as good (??)

Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Shortsocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As some one who got a 910XT and a Edge 800 in the last year I say: 2X Tim
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Connect just tweeted, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Should have plenty of CES writeups soon enough, with pricing and release dates. Just like the Garmin Vector...
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [legalgooner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just giggled when i saw this.
i might be a little bit too excited about the new 810. especially since there are so few details out there.

Quote | Reply
I rarely travel with my laptop anymore and when on business/vacation it's great to upload the data to garmin connect to view on my iPad....but that means using my garmin 310xt and wahoo ANT+ dongle at the end of the ride. So I use both my Edge 800 and 310xt on the rides. Would be great to just use one garmin computer now for instant uploading. Also eliminates time mucking around at the computer when I am at home after training getting info to Garmin Connect etc.

Also, text and phone data would be great as I commute with my iPhone on my bars so I don't miss important calls or texts....I know, I know....eyes on the road.....but it's better than fumbling in my jersey pocket every time my phone goes off.....
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A couple of open ended items.

1. Garmin doesn't mention it on these pages, but if you d/l the app, "live tracking" is a subscription based feature. Unsure if they are changing that due to lack of verbiage on product pages. it feels like maybe they are..
2. I do love the garmin stuff, but yes it is constant frustration with things like "Edge 500 is ant+ compat, just doesn't talk to your ant+ stick for computer upload" .. for only another $300 we can fix that (vs say a firmware upgrade)... when comparing prices of car gps's, we know what's keeping garmin paid.

yeah, I'm wary of the touch screen as well. if it works great! but if I weigh "can go wrong" vs "need", I'd leave it out.

I know it is anti bottom line, but how about an "upgrade" price ?
They are doing something right, I have bought many a garmin devices... would love an 810, but will likely wait for something to go wrong with 500.. (which might be a while).

-Jeff

----------------
http://onlyviewihave.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anybody seen release dates for the 510? I see they are taking orders on the garmin site now for the 810 and the app releases 1/10/12. I was just about to buy a 500 so I might as well wait for the 510.

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [jwm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwm wrote:
Edge 500 is ant+ compat, just doesn't talk to your ant+ stick for computer upload
I'm glad my Edge 500 and Forerunner 210 don't use the stupid ANT+ stick. It never picks up my Garmin Swim properly (or the FR405, or the FR910XT), and then Garmin ANT Agent tries to re-upload every activity every time, even ones I have already deleted from GarminConnect. The worst part is, Garmin knows about the issue and won't fix it (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?22281). The software is crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be nervous about leaving one of these units (more so the 800 series) on my bike in a transition zone. Can you say easy pickings? Anyone ever have their Garmin stolen from their bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my 810 showed up today!
very excited.
first use will be next weekend on the IM Louisville course.

Quote | Reply
Hopefully they'll drop the price on the 500 so I can get a deal on one! Not crazy about the 510
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont leave mine on bike. I place it in a front pocket of my transition bag and grab it when I grab my other stuff. I leave it on in the bag during the swim that way it is sync'd with the sat so I have to do is put it on the bike and hit start.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [KING_COOPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what date did you pre-order and from whom?
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [triyourbest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i didn't pre-order.
i ordered Monday directly from Garmin.
great service!

(although, had i known about DC Rainmaker's code and what the benefits were for him, i would have used it. i frequent his site before making any Garmin purchase.)

Quote | Reply
thats the one I did. I was debating garmin when I ordered. Thanks. Let us know how it goes. I guess I should have mine within the week.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [triyourbest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used Live Tracking?
How did that work out?
-YT
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clever training 810 just shipped!
Last edited by: aaronpass: Jan 11, 13 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you with a 500, how long has it lasted you. My 500 is coming up to a year and I'm wondering about adding an extended warranty on it. My 200 lasted all of 3 weeks before the Enter button basically broke. Alternatively I'm thinking of (now) selling the 500 and getting the 510. I realize this is slightly off topic but your comments are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Rixter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine in April 2010 - so almost three years old and it has never skipped a beat. Also have a Edge800 which was replaced by Garmin after 11 months as the usb connection stopped working (I think the connection is the most vulnerable point - still don't know why they don't allow the ANT+ upload).
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also on the "buy the 510 unless the 500 goes on closeout" bandwagon.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 510's are starting to ship. Picked mine up tonight. Now if I just feel better so I could ride and test it out...
Quote Reply

Prev Next