Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I had seen an all black Garmin Edge computer earlier in 2012.

And it was true, as Garmin showed their Out front mount was fitted with an Edge 810, notice the graphic at the top of the computer and look at the buttons, they are identical.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why cycling computers are getting bigger & more touch screen. The current Edges are about as full-function as anybody could need, aren't they?

800 if you really need maps & turn by turn, 500 for everything else but maps.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
I don't understand why cycling computers are getting bigger & more touch screen. The current Edges are about as full-function as anybody could need, aren't they?

Yeah, these are certainly incremental upgrades. I have the 500 - for racing & MTBing - and the 800 for my road bike because it has the maps. Sure, a higher res screen would be nice. And some other small options. But I think they core functionality of the products is right on as it is. That said, incremental upgrades are big business. Just look at the smartphone market...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
grosso27 wrote:

Yeah, these are certainly incremental upgrades. I have the 500 - for racing & MTBing - and the 800 for my road bike because it has the maps. Sure, a higher res screen would be nice. And some other small options. But I think they core functionality of the products is right on as it is. That said, incremental upgrades are big business. Just look at the smartphone market...

Spot on. The reality is that if you DON'T do these types of upgrades / feature enhancements, your competitors will. So the "need" to improve your product comes from (at least) two fronts - consumer expectations and keeping your competition behind you.

You constantly need to be surveying similar product categories to see what technologies / features can be brought over to your category. Anybody who manufactures a product w/ an LCD screen needs to be evaluating bringing in technologies like touchscreens, color screens, etc.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed! I don't need more functionality, I just wish they would make the charger port on the 500 more robust. I am careful with the rubber "plug" but mine keep dying after wet / sweaty rides. That being said, Garmin's customer service experience is good, so I will probably keep going back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But are these even UPgrades? Granted, I've not used an 800, so I truly don't know. But at what point do you no longer want a bigger screen? And would you rather be fumbling with dirty/sweaty hands on a touch screen, or using button? You're doing all this while actually riding of course...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you also need to remember that there a alot of cyclists that don't ride the way you/we do. many are out training for century rides, riding the local path, etc...

these types of upgrades are exactly what they want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do you have a candy-bar cell phone with a 8bit screen? No, because those don't work on most networks anymore.

Small increments may be insignificant yes. Crappy camera on a cell phone? But they eventually lead to big jumps. HD video on a phone, or maybe one day voice activated garmins.

We need the small improvements to get the big ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
But are these even UPgrades? Granted, I've not used an 800, so I truly don't know. But at what point do you no longer want a bigger screen? And would you rather be fumbling with dirty/sweaty hands on a touch screen, or using button? You're doing all this while actually riding of course...

I'm 51 and have good eye sight except for needing reading glasses. I also use a SRM power meter. I have configured my Garmin 500 to show the same data elements that come stock on my SRM power control. The screen is so small and the numbers are so small that it is difficult to impossible to read the data on the fly. Especially with polarized lenses and late in the afternoon when the sun is at a low angle. So, with the Garmin 500 I have to compromise my ability to read the screen or the data fields that are available on the screen compared to the SRM. I haven't used a Garmin 800, but from what I've seen it appears to provide a solution to my problem. The maps would be helpful in certain situations, but the screen size is the big plus of the 800 for me.

I suspect that as many or more people my age are buying these devices than 20 year old college students with perfect eyes! :-)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
touch screem with sweaty fingers, that ought to work just great, cuz i know how that works with my cell phone, or rather doesnt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure. I really want to see texts on my bike computer. Why? I am sure you are thinking texting and riding how anything be more dangerous. But heres the thing for me, people text me while I am riding and most of them are not urgent. However, I can't tell that they aren't my wife telling me that one our kids is hurt without pulling out my phone to look. Plus the damn thing buzzes 5 more times. I end up reaching for my phone or having to stop just to look when I could just glance down and be done.

I am not sure that that will happen with these devices but the smartphone connectivity is close and devices like the Motoactv already do this if you have an android phone.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
I'm not sure. I really want to see texts on my bike computer. Why? I am sure you are thinking texting and riding how anything be more dangerous. But heres the thing for me, people text me while I am riding and most of them are not urgent. However, I can't tell that they aren't my wife telling me that one our kids is hurt without pulling out my phone to look.

I'm a total tech crackhead but find the bike is my (perhaps sole) refuge from the devices. So my initial inclination on reading your post was to shake my head and wonder if I will lose this last bit of peace that riding affords me. BUT with the iPhone's "do not disturb" function, I could set my phone so that calls/texts come in only if from a very select list (eg emergency contacts), so I preserve the refuge from the devices but would still be instantly alerted in an emergency situation. Win!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jan 2, 13 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
touch screem with sweaty fingers, that ought to work just great, cuz i know how that works with my cell phone, or rather doesnt

An excellent counter-point. I know that on my Motorola MotoActv, drops of sweat can cause inadvertent screen changes.

As noted above, some times these features need to be done for competitive reasons in order to keep other suppliers out of the market. It doesn't mean they are here to stay necessarily.

Personally, I prefer the tactile feel of actual buttons, but I can certainly recognize the market opportunity involved w/ touch screens for products such as this (even if it is a short-term opportunity).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Touchscreen 510? No thanks, buttons FTW.

My Forerunner 405 has the touch bezel and it drives me nuts when it gets wet.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen!
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
BUT with the iPhone's "do not disturb" function, I could set my phone so that calls/texts come in only if from a very select list (eg emergency contacts), so I preserve the refuge from the devices but would still be instantly alerted in an emergency situation. Win!

This.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Aspo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from a German website
Zwei neue Edge Modelle
Neben Garmins Top-Modell für Fahrradfahrer, dem Edge 800 soll auch die Mittelklasse erneuert werden. So wird es neben dem Edge 810 auch das Edge 510 geben. Das Edge 510 wird etwas größer als das Edge 500 werden und zudem über Tasten unterhalb des Displays verfügen. Außerdem wird der Webseite nach das Edge 500 wohl weiterhin neben dem Edge 510 bestehen bleiben und die Mittelklasse nach untenhin abrunden.

Im leicht veränderten Design präsentiert sich auch das Edge 810, zu dem auch Dokumente bei der Funkzulassungsbehörde der USA (FCC) erschienen sind. Daraus geht hervor, dass im neuen Edge 810 neben ANT+ auch Bluetooth 4.0 zum Einsatz kommen wird. Die unveränderte Form des Fahrradcomputers stellt sicher, dass auch Zubehör des Vorgängers weiterhin genutzt werden kann.
Online-Verbindung übers Smartphone
Die neuen Edge Modelle sollen beide über Online-Funktionen wie ein Echtzeittracking, abrufbare Wetter-Infos und Anbindungen an soziale Netzwerke verfügen. Eine Online-Verbindung kann mit dem Edge 510 und Edge 810 allerdings nur hergestellt werden, wenn ein Smartphone mitgeführt wird.

Genaue Preise und ein Verfügbarkeitstermin lassen sich der Webseite nicht entnehmen. In vielen Foren wird jedoch mit einer offiziellen Vorstellung der neuen Edge-Geräte zu CES in Las Vegas gerechnet. Die Elektronikmesse findet in diesem Jahr vom 8. – 11. Januar statt.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General translation other then the expected announcement at ces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they havn't taken everything down, an example of the live activity feed here,well example email invite below and click the yellow button saying watch:

http://www.makestudio.co.uk/...email_danmartin.html

Pretty basic at the moment but simply enough so you can look where someone is (I know it would be useful for my lady so she knows I'm still alive by the fact i'm moving rather than in a ditch! oh and that I'm almost home so start dinner ;))
Last edited by: w01fy: Jan 3, 13 4:51
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [w01fy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
w01fy wrote:
live activity feed

So, what would make this any different than the hundreds of free iPhone apps out there today? Even Apple's standard "Find a Friend" app allows you to do this.

https://itunes.apple.com/...-friends/id466122094
https://itunes.apple.com/...-friends/id330316698

At Nationals last year I used Glympse so my family/friends could keep track of me, but it was a PITA to have to deal with my phone, especially during transitions. They really liked it though, and it enabled them to find me out on the bike course multiple times.

I might be interested if the Edge can send live HRM or power data to my coach, but beyond that, it seems pretty silly to require a second device in order to do live streaming. I'll keep waiting until the GTU10 gets fully integrated.

Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [notAswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The comment about the live activity feed being useful was a bit tongue in check, however How is it going to be different is a good question...

I don't use my smart phone while on the bike as I feel it performs poorly as a bike computer (battery life, not high enough IP rating etc etc) compared to my Garmin. Currently this comparing an iphone4 with an Ant+ case with an edge 800.

For the live activity feature you have to install/run an app on the smart phone so you have to run two devices just a little hassle, but it basically puts me off. Personally choice here I know.

With the new edge 810 I would expect (but may be wrong), it will work similarly to a a car gps. You turn it on and it auto pairs to a phone if its available (and previously configured). No app required on the phone, it would simply be using the phones data connection and your current mobile data plan.

No faff, no extra cost (as your not including the mobile phone in the unit that not everyone will want to use), no extra monthly cost (as your using your already existing data connection if you want to use it that is.).

I always carry a phone with me, so to me it makes sense.

As for the live HR data etc. I recollect during one of multi day events that the garmin team where displaying live data on a webpage including HR and power. I would make a guess it was through this.... that would be helpful to a coach presuming they had some coms back to you
Last edited by: w01fy: Jan 3, 13 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:

it won't stop until you've got an ipad in your cockpit.
Which actually... you could do.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [Aspo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aspo wrote:
refthimos wrote:
BUT with the iPhone's "do not disturb" function, I could set my phone so that calls/texts come in only if from a very select list (eg emergency contacts), so I preserve the refuge from the devices but would still be instantly alerted in an emergency situation. Win!

This.

I was thinking about that this morning. I think that I might like having the phone and computer connected so that I am more likely to notice if I get a call or text. Most of the calls or texts that I get are ones that I want to get but sometimes don't because I'm out of range or just don't hear it on a descent. Even if I missed the call it would be nice to know that I missed it by being notified on my computer.

I often go for group rides with my wife. The group tends to split into different routes and we try to reconnect afterwards at a coffee shop. It would be helpful to me if when she texts me and says "I'm at Peet's" or "I'm heading home" that I could see that without pulling out my phone and then figure out where to head next.

On the other hand it might annoy the crap out of my and I might turn it off. But it sounds like it could be helpful.

Besides, I want the big screen because I'm old and need BIG NUMBERS! :-)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like the notifications on the Garmin device from the phone, my phone is in my back pocket and I only stop to answer it if it rings more than once. A text poping up would be nice to, as only yesterday I was keeping my ride short to an hour and a half to meet a mate after, as I got home he had text to say he wasn't going to make it.

Mind you, you have to be careful it doesn't distract the rider, I've seen people before ride into other riders because they are faffing with there bike computers.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Edge 510 and Edge 810 [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
How do we get around the no cellphone rule though? I assume the 510/810 syncs with your phone for the tracking feature to work.

Would the no cellphone rule really prohibit a phone sitting in your bento box/ saddle bag running a data feed? I thought it was about calling, texting, and music, not "making use of it in any manner". Would there be an issue with you pulling it out of a bag in transition to check the time?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next