Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Fizik Mistica
Quote | Reply
Just came back from a saddle measurement, and ended up with a Fizik Tritone as a test saddle.
Back home I opened up the interwebs to check prices, and found out Fizik has released a new saddle called the Mistica and the tritone isn't on their site anymore.

Anyone know more about it? Particularly interested if it will fit the same as a tritone.. in other words.. is it just an updated tritone?
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a very mildly updated tritone.
Hopefully you got your tritone for a lot cheaper than the MSRP on the Mistica.
Nashbar was selling the Tritones on closeout a couple months ago for about $65.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Just came back from a saddle measurement
Saddle measurement? Huh?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Looks like a very mildly updated tritone.
Hopefully you got your tritone for a lot cheaper than the MSRP on the Mistica.
Nashbar was selling the Tritones on closeout a couple months ago for about $65.

Well, I'll be looking into any sales coming up here in europe before buying a saddle, that's for sure!

trentnix wrote:
Fusion wrote:
Just came back from a saddle measurement
Saddle measurement? Huh?

A pressure point measurement. My bottom couldn't agree with my Selle Italia SLR Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
A pressure point measurement. My bottom couldn't agree with my Selle Italia SLR Tri.
I remain unconvinced that pressure point measurements are all that useful for prescriptive analysis, but good tools like gebioMized can do a great job of describing the problem or even uncovering discomfort that might be difficult to ascertain in a test on a trainer.

I'm convinced that tools that measure sit bone width, thigh clearance, and spinal flexibility are generally useless.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Fusion wrote:
I remain unconvinced that pressure point measurements are all that useful for prescriptive analysis, but good tools like gebioMized can do a great job of describing the problem or even uncovering discomfort that might be difficult to ascertain in a test on a trainer.

I'm convinced that tools that measure sit bone width, thigh clearance, and spinal flexibility are generally useless.

It was a gebiomized seat that measured points of excessive pressure, which caused deep fleshwounds in the private area's. After testing a few saddles and evaluating the different positions and pressure maps we decided on the tritone. The difference was quite clear because even today when i went to sit on my old saddle it was painful on the wounds. But once on the tritone I wouldn't feel a thing. So it appeared to be useful for me. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. That's the way to do it.

Lots of sophistry out there with saddle fit. It warms my cold heart when someone out there insisted on doing things the right way.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Perfect. That's the way to do it.

Lots of sophistry out there with saddle fit. It warms my cold heart when someone out there insisted on doing things the right way.

Bonus points for using sophistry and not sounding pedantic. ;-)
Sorry to hijack the thread: I'd never heard of this tool. How'd you come across it? Maybe Slowman should do them a writeup.
Clearly it's giving a dynamic pressure map on the saddle, but are there any prescriptions other than minimize the red spots? I.e. how idiot proof is it?
Thanks -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Mistica’s new channel design enables better weight distribution across sit bones and the new seamless, friction-free nose construction delivers improved riding comfort, while an extra grippy material provides maximum riding stability."
- http://www.fizik.com/...ri/mistica-kium.html

The two things that I would change about my tritone is the sharp edge at the tip of the saddle and the slick surface of the saddle. It appears that Fizik has addressed both of these issues, so the mistica will be my next saddle when the tritone is ready for retirement.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
"The Mistica’s new channel design enables better weight distribution across sit bones and the new seamless, friction-free nose construction delivers improved riding comfort, while an extra grippy material provides maximum riding stability."

The two things that I would change about my tritone is the sharp edge at the tip of the saddle and the slick surface of the saddle. It appears that Fizik has addressed both of these issues, so the mistica will be my next saddle when the tritone is ready for retirement.

Yep, I had the tritone a while back and went for a fit tweak, fitter (ERO) said that folks generally disliked the sharp points of the front edge, and that Fizik was redesigning that. Mistica is the result. I couldn't ride that thing for very long and sold it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a cool tool...we incorporate it in our Precision Fit training for fitters, though not all shops end up buying and using this option for the system.

Here's a short video that touches on some of what goes on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkbjpY0yyQM

The one part he doesn't touch on (probably because it's not an extreme case, and because everything else about the fit seemed to be going well including this tweak near the end) is how the "line of regression" can highlight significant imbalances fore-aft...see 0:46-2:20 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK_TyXildow

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an ETA on this saddle? I can't find a "for sale" or "pre-order" anywhere online.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I liked the seat my self and a friend both had issues with the bottle holders snapping at the rear screw point. Seems to be a design flaw as others posted similar photos on a thread here about the tritone. At the time fizik was happy to mail a new set of rails the design issue still remained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Just came back from a saddle measurement, and ended up with a Fizik Tritone as a test saddle.
Back home I opened up the interwebs to check prices, and found out Fizik has released a new saddle called the Mistica and the tritone isn't on their site anymore.

Anyone know more about it? Particularly interested if it will fit the same as a tritone.. in other words.. is it just an updated tritone?

Has anyone ridden the Mistica yet?
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered one from Fizik and gave it a go but ended up returning it for a refund. Somehow the sticky surface just didn't work for me even though I applied varied amounts of chamois cream. The saddle was probably also too narrow for me since I ended up with genital numbness.

Haven't tried the Tritone so can't give you a comparison there but I've gone thru quite a lot of saddles this trainer season. The one I've been the happiest with so far is Specialized Sitero but now I'm waiting for the mailman to deliver me a wide version of the Dash Stage. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

By the way, the package I received also included the bottle holder kit so don't order it as an extra accessory unless you want a spare one :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [AnssiT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnssiT wrote:
Ordered one from Fizik and gave it a go but ended up returning it for a refund. Somehow the sticky surface just didn't work for me even though I applied varied amounts of chamois cream. The saddle was probably also too narrow for me since I ended up with genital numbness.

Haven't tried the Tritone so can't give you a comparison there but I've gone thru quite a lot of saddles this trainer season. The one I've been the happiest with so far is Specialized Sitero but now I'm waiting for the mailman to deliver me a wide version of the Dash Stage. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

By the way, the package I received also included the bottle holder kit so don't order it as an extra accessory unless you want a spare one :)

Were you on the regular size which is 55mm or the large which is 65mm? I rode the Tritone for around a year and did my first IM on it, but ended up moving back to ISM, but this new Mistica and the fact that it comes in a wider size is very interesting. Do you think you could have liked it more if you had the larger sizing (assuming you were on the regular size)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just confirmed from the order history that it was indeed the regular size. I would imagine that the wide model would have been better as now I felt I had too much of my weight on the soft tissue and it was chafing on the sticky top of the saddle. Just to clarify, all of the testing (3-4 hours and equally many sessions) happened on the trainer so that might bias my evaluation in some way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a side note - the Tritone came in a 65mm width, as well. It was introduced later.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AnssiT wrote:
Just confirmed from the order history that it was indeed the regular size. I would imagine that the wide model would have been better as now I felt I had too much of my weight on the soft tissue and it was chafing on the sticky top of the saddle. Just to clarify, all of the testing (3-4 hours and equally many sessions) happened on the trainer so that might bias my evaluation in some way.

Thanks, I'm thinking the large size might work for me, give me more to sit on than the original 55mm width tritone. My goal is to get comfortable on the trainer. With a smart trainer on the way, I'd really like to spend more time inside but have never been comfortable on the trainer while the same position and saddle can be comfortable enough on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Just a side note - the Tritone came in a 65mm width, as well. It was introduced later.

That's right, unfortunately it didn't exist when I had my tritone so I never got to try it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly the same problem here. Invested in a Kickr 2 and can't let that go to waste... Let us know how the wide Mistica works for you - I just came home to find the wide Dash Stage waiting for me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AnssiT wrote:
Exactly the same problem here. Invested in a Kickr 2 and can't let that go to waste... Let us know how the wide Mistica works for you - I just came home to find the wide Dash Stage waiting for me :)

If I end up getting one, I'll update. I work at a shop so with my discount it's tempting. The Mrs. might kill me however. She's had about enough with my saddle search!

If the dash wasn't so damn expensive I'd give those a try
Quote Reply
Re: New Fizik Mistica [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:

+1 Love my Tritone but if Fizik solved those two things then hats off to them for a great saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone else provide some insight/reviews into the Mistica? Perhaps the bigger size compared to the smaller size? Can you compare it to ISMs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply

Prev Next