Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Dad Training Advice
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

My wife and I recently became parents and I am trying to figure out how this whole triathlon thing fits in. Obviously, I gather that I am going to have to manage my time more effectively, be flexible, and cut my training hours back. My current training load is usually between 15-18 hrs and pretty unfocused. I was wondering if anyone could share an effective week's training schedule for IM or HIM (like a rough skeleton) or any other tips to help a new dad.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're a pro, take the first year off. That's what I wish I would have done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing like the addition of kids to teach you how to organize your time effectively. Honestly, it doesn't fit in, at least not at first. Take some time off, or at least consider winding down to a single sport for awhile. Whatever you decide, make sure your spouse buys into it 100%. You do not want her to feel like your triathlon habit comes before her and the baby.

Once the kid is a bit older, nap times are awesome blocks to get training in. You'll also become much more of a morning person so those early morning workouts become much more palatable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest thing is to be flexible, especially in the beginning when there is no sleep schedule and stuff... If you find it's a real struggle to get training in, then stop for a while, don't push it. And when that happens (and it will), don't freak out, get upset, think "it's over" or anything else. You'll be fine and you'll get back to doing stuff that makes you happy. If you can, get whatever you can to be able to train at home... Treadmill, bike trainer, whatever else... It's all about priorites and flexibility. Congrats by the way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What distance are you training for? It makes a big difference.

If you figure it all out, let me know please.

When my wife got pregnant, I was already signed up for 2013 IMFL . . . we wouldn't bail in the middle of something, so I trained normally (no training while she was in hospital though) and I raced it really hard when the baby was 6 weeks old. It really wasn't too bad . . . in fact it was good enough to Kona Qualify. I talked it over with her and we mutually decided that it was once in a life time so we had to go for it and go all out for it. I am less than 6 weeks from Kona now with an 11 month old at home. It has been really hard.

Much more caffeine, much less recovery/sleep, so much less motivated (because you damn well know you shouldn't be out on a bike for 4 hours when your baby is at the house), so much harder on my wife. I train tons in the early AM (pre dawn), but even that robs the baby because when you should be rolling around on the floor and playing at 7:30 pm, you are freaking exhausted and sleeping on the sofa.

We are definitely changing things post 10/11/14. At very least, a big reduction in training volume (and whatever performance reduction occurs who gives a damn); potentially bailing on the 140.6 distance all together, definitely focusing on BQ for at least a new months and then thinking about TRI from there probably local 70.3s and shorter, but I can't say just yet.

It is a sad state of affairs when you can say: "Marathon training would be an awesome reduction in total training volume and really give me much more time with my family."

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Last edited by: bufit323: Sep 2, 14 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't think IM is realistic for us until we have a good routine and she is a bit older. I think HIM would be the max just because of training volume cutback. I had the same thing with a IM FL KQ and then Kona but it was around the wedding instead of the baby. I feel for ya. Likely it'll be worth it. Kona is pretty awesome.

Haha... I have had the same thought many times on marathon training. They have it so easy :)

Flexibility isn't really an issue for me but flexibility lends itself to unfocused training which sometimes leads to slow racing unless you had heaps of free time to pile on the miles. I wanted to see if anyone on the forum had figured out a schedule that seemed to work well.

Thanks for the help guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On mornings where are new one goes to sleep after the 6/7ish feed and change I do a short run. I'm going to try and get a ride in once during the week and once on the weekend but not set on that. I may try lunchtime workouts as well.

if you couldn't tell, I'm still figuring it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also consider focusing on one sport for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have dropped swimming for now because of the commute time plus the fact that swimming sucks and I am grabbing a run or bike when it is convenient for mom. Working fine so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early mornings, lunch time, and a loving spouse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once the kid settles into a schedule, just plan around it. My kids are 10 and 8 and I still do the same thing. Basically, I'm the invisible athlete. I train while everyone else in the house is asleep or out doing something else, that way it doesn't impede family time since that is the priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have a trainer and/or treadmill, get them. They are, without a doubt, worth the money for people with (very) young kids.

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [ronniewo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question about the "invisible training" thing is how much sleep do you get?

Quick run in the morning with the dog I can do. Spin or swim at lunch works. Where do you fit in your longer sessions or are you up at 5am to do a long run/ride on the weekends too?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My little one just turned 2, the first year was tough, tired all the time and a felt bad leaving my wife alone for long hours. Trainer rides and runs at 4:30 am were the norm. I did a HM, 2 sprints, and 2 Olys over 4 months in the summer, I did ok but was under trained. Year 2 was better however with the little one in day care it was either me, my wife or the little one sick. It was rough with not much sleep but I managed to train about 30% more, I did a HM, my first HIM, and 4 sprints. I'm hoping the sickness is better this year as apparently the first year they bring every germ known to man home. Hoping for another 30% increase in training! more sleep and 2 HIM's next summer. I'll let you know how it goes. Most important thing is remember this isn't your job, miss a workout if you have too, give your wife some time to herself, and enjoy the little one.
Last edited by: BigDaddyD79: Sep 2, 14 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are doing an Ironman - the "hidden" training sessions will only get you so far.

What did you and your wife talk about in terms of expectations during the 9 months of prep and planning time when the baby arrived? What type of support does your spouse need or expect? Do you work closer to 50+ hours a week or just over 40+ hours a week? What else do you have for hobbies? What does your wife have for hobbies? How much does your spouse work?

Fortunately for my wife and I - she is a stay at home mom - that gives us a lot of flexibility in planning our days. Unfortunately, she also does triathlons. It's hard, but prior to bringing home our son - we had several long conversations about both of our expectations for the process. What we expected from each other, and what we expected of ourselves. Selfish or not - we both were very clear that triathlon and the training for it was an important part of our life and something that neither of us was willing to sacrifice readily just by the addition of a child. So we have done what we needed to to make it work.

Sometimes that has meant really long rides on the trainers for both of us, sometimes it has meant hiring a babysitter midweek for a long ride to happen, or a PTO day for one to happen, etc.

Additionally - to make it happen, and to give our son, our family, and each other the attention and interaction we deserve it has required boundaries to be set. In our household it's a no-no to do a workout after work/dinner. Unless it's an extenuating circumstance, if you don't get it in during your "slot" - you miss the session.

It also requires a regular, open and honest communication to make sure everything is happening and expectations are being met.

5am to do a long run/ride on the weekends too?

Everyday. It sucks, but it's better than giving up the pursuit of my goals.
Last edited by: sentania: Sep 2, 14 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're doing the dad thing right, your training will suffer. That's ok. Kids are more important than triathlon. Early mornings, learn to love your trainer/treadmill. You might focus on getting faster over shorter distances for a while. Enjoy it. My favorite age so far is 12-24 months. It's a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Bike trainer and a baby jogger...as soon as the little one is ready take him for a spin. I ran with my kids in the jogger at 5:30AM for the first few years. You might race less, no worries. Its all a give and take. Trust me I started as a golfer, I almost ended in divorce due to the time the game took away - my wife didn't mind me doing stuff early in the morning (running and biking) and around kids stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [ether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's a blast.

I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I'm not sure I would describe it that way. There are moments where I wouldn't trade it for anything, and days where I'd give it all away :)

Quote:
If you're doing the dad thing right, your training will suffer.

I think it really depends on what other priorities you have in your life and how you schedule yourself. I think that allowing training to suffer is the default choice, but it's not the only choice. I see people choosing to work 50+ hours a week, go to grade school, volunteer at church, and participate in a work sports league all while trying to parent and do triathlon. Someone that has work (38-42 hours/week), triathlon, and family is probably going to have a much easier time maintaining a given level of performance in triathlon.

Quote:
You might focus on getting faster over shorter distances for a while.

With the exception of the final several weeks of training for a IM, being fast at any distance requires roughly the same amount of work and time investment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have a 3 month old and I'm preparing for IM Florida/finishing up the sprint season. My wife signed me up for Florida while she was pregnant (over the internet from Canada and she'd never registered for a race before, so it is possible to get to Florida online!!) because we thought 'wouldn't that be an awesome first family trip!'. Ya, big mistake. Our little guy was/is very 'fussy' and my training plan didn't go as planned. But, if you can fit the training in, here WAS my plan:

60-90 minutes of quality training while our son was napping with a couple of hours of recovery/being a good dad/supportive husband, followed by 60-90 minutes of quality training during the next nap. The plan was to do this frequently to try and build some speed/strength. I knew training was going to be sporadic and dependent on how our son was doing that day, so no workout could be wasted mileage, nor planned. I also knew I couldn't go out for a 6 hour ride.

Here's what I found: VERY difficult to train for triathlon. I would suggest following what others have suggested. Unless you have to, take the season off. It got to the point that I hated training and hated triathlon, but felt that I had to train for Florida (damn you IM and your no exchange/transfer policy, but I knew what I was in for so I'm not going to complain/cry like a little biatch about it). My wife is awesome and has supported me going out to train, but it is tough to leave for a workout when your baby is crying. Next year, I won't be doing any triathlons because of how horrible this year has been trying to balance 3 sports and being a dad. I'll just focus on my running, because by then my guy will be ready for the running stroller.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by: mdoucette77: Sep 2, 14 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking because we are expecting our first in March. Wife and I both did 3 70.3's and our first ironman last year. She just ran (no tris) this year and I'm doing sprints/olympics and one 70.3.

I have been enjoying doing shorter races and frequency in training over duration. May focus on trail running and do a couple local triathlons until the kiddo(s?) grow up a bit.

Not interested in 5am wakeups on the weekends unless it's race day

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off congrats! We have a 3 year old and a 6 mos old and its the absolute best. I average right around 8-10 hours a week for training. I am run heavy, feel its the best bang for my buck . My wife also races, (running only right now) but that makes it easier to have someone who is into the sport as well.

Here is an outline for my 70.3 training. Hope this helps.

General info
No days off. something always comes up, no need to schedule a day off. It will happen inevitably.
Swim - once maybe twice a week. Always Mondays, try and squeeze another one in at some point.
Run - 4 hours
Bike - 4 hours
I will use a couple (2-3) vacation/personal days to get some long rides in on Fridays. Usually start 6 weeks out from race and go every other or every third Friday.
I bought a treadmill and use my trainer early in the morning during the week.
I run at lunch a lot
I am in bed and asleep by 9am.

Mon - Swim 40 minutes (After dropping the kids off at daycare - 1 hour Endurance run at lunch.
Tues 445am- 1 hour on trainer. 2 x 20 FTP.
Wed Lunch- 1 hour tempo run
Thurs- 445am- 1 hour tempo ride on trainer
Fri/Sat - Alternate long rides between these every other week. Long ride is only 40-45 miles. (2-2.5 hours) Run 20 minutes off the bike.
Fri/Sat Non ride day 1 hour run before kids get up or during nap. Try and get a swim in
Sun - Trainer AM - VO2 45 minutes - 1 hour run during nap.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dad Training Advice [pauljra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bingo... this is exactly what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stick with HIM over the IM for the first year. After that you will be in the swing of things with the baby and can work around their schedule. Biggest thing to do is get the buy-in from your wife. Make sure she understands how much time you will be occupied with training. My kids were 3 & 4 when I did my first IM. Things were going well, I thought, until one day she blew up when I was too tired to play with my 4 yr old after an 8 hr brick workout. It finally came pouring out how she felt about being stuck with the kids all the time while I was training. Ended up switching all my workouts to 3 am everyday. Now even the long Saturdays I'm done by 10:30 am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those who raced, how soon was it after the kid is born before you raced? I was thinking that 3 months with no racing will be a good starting point but curious. I may do a half 6-8 months after but think I am going to do sprints and olympics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next