Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Cycling Mockumentary on HBO - Tour de Pharmacy - featuring Lance and many SNL alum
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikeradar.com/...oping-culture-49995/

This looks absolutely horrible, but I'll watch it as I was laughing aloud during the trailer

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 20, 17 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, it looks pretty funny to me, but I like goofy comedies.

At the least it'll kill a couple hours on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A surprising number of big names in it. At the very least it'd be an entertaining distraction while doing a trainer ride.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the must see of the summer for STers to me -

http://www.bicycling.com/...m_campaign=Bicycling

It could well be a dud, but if it's not and STers can't laugh at this, all hope may be lost. Great to see LA and Bacon making cameos. Too bad they couldn't get Lemond, Eddy and Dennis Christopher from Breaking Away, but maybe they're just waiting to surprise us!

Dog, you should change the subject of your post to New Cycling Mockumentary on HBO - Tour de Pharmacy - featuring Lance and many others. I'm not interested in another serious doc on LA and the cycling drug culture, but I am very interested in watching this as some light (and hopefully funny) summer entertainment.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 20, 17 4:13
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Looks like the must see of the summer for STers to me -

http://www.bicycling.com/...m_campaign=Bicycling

It could well be a dud, but if it's not and STers can't laugh at this, all hope may be lost. Great to see LA and Bacon making cameos. Too bad they couldn't get Lemond, Eddy and Dennis Christopher from Breaking Away, but maybe they're just waiting to surprise us!

Dog, you should change the subject of your post to New Cycling Mockumentary on HBO - Tour de Pharmacy - featuring Lance and many others. I'm not interested in another serious doc on LA and the cycling drug culture, but I am very interested in watching this as some light (and hopefully funny) summer entertainment.

LeMond? This is set in the 80s. According to LeMond the plague of doping consumed the sport in the 90s, forcing him to retire. During the meat of his career he saw nothing. He heard nothing. Greg "Sgt. Schultz" LeMond knows nothing. Actually, maybe he should have been in it. Ignoring the doping of all his rivals during his career while pretending to be outraged about riders doping long after he retired is funny in a pathetically hypocritical sense.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
During the meat of his career he saw nothing. He heard nothing. Greg "Sgt. Schultz" LeMond knows nothing. Actually, maybe he should have been in it. Ignoring the doping of all his rivals during his career while pretending to be outraged about riders doping long after he retired is funny in a pathetically hypocritical sense.

That's a pretty strong take. Do you have any kind of evidence to base this on?

I don't really trust any pro cyclist from any era on the topic of doping, but there is at least some degree of plausibility in that LeMond's career was between the steroids era (which could be effectively detected during LeMond's heyday) and the EPO period.

My sense is that doping in pro cycling waxes and wanes, as new doping methods emerge, then new testing methods emerge.
It is at least plausible that the time period you refer to as the meat of LeMond's career was one of the lower-doping eras.

If you're a big time Lance fan, and simply hate LeMond for anything and everything, then let me apologize in advance for bringing up a sore topic.
Last edited by: alathIN: May 20, 17 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
During the meat of his career he saw nothing. He heard nothing. Greg "Sgt. Schultz" LeMond knows nothing. Actually, maybe he should have been in it. Ignoring the doping of all his rivals during his career while pretending to be outraged about riders doping long after he retired is funny in a pathetically hypocritical sense.

I don't really trust any pro cyclist from any era on the topic of doping, but there is at least some degree of plausibility in that LeMond's career was between the steroids era (which could be effectively detected during LeMond's heyday) and the EPO period.

My sense is that doping in pro cycling waxes and wanes, as new doping methods emerge, then new testing methods emerge.
It is at least plausible that the time period you refer to as the meat of LeMond's career was one of the lower-doping eras.

Wow. There really is one born every minute. A lull in doping during the 1980s and LeMond just happened to slot in during a time when everyone had given up drugs until Lance forced the riders to dope again?

Here is a clue for you. There was more doping in the 80s than there was in the 00s. It was a complete and utter joke. The testing was shoddy and often non-existent with riders knowing before a race started whether there would be testing. The word there would be no testing was the green light to load up with everything in the soigneur's suitcase, and every team had one of those soigneurs. They were still using amphetamines, which mostly died out in the later 90s, as well as steroids. Corticosteroid abuse was rampant and prematurely ended many careers. Let's not mention the blood transfusions. The team LeMond joined for the 1989 season had a doctor who the year before was experimenting with EPO before it was approved on at least one of the teams riders; he diagnosed him with anemia. These days LeMond denies he ever met the team's own doctor who traveled with the team during races. He knows nothing. Every one of LeMond's rivals for the Tour who had won the Tour or had a legitimate chance of doing so was doping, but he has never said a word about their drug use. These days he does public appearances with them and gladhanding them when he meets them out of the public eye. Apparently he does not feel he was cheated. I wonder why.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
alathIN wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Wow. There really is one born every minute

OK, you've got some points there I was not aware of.

I did preface this by saying "I don't really trust any pro cyclist from any era on the topic of doping." So I think it's unlikely I am the most gullible person you've ever run across on the internet.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
alathIN wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Wow. There really is one born every minute

OK, you've got some points there I was not aware of.

I did preface this by saying "I don't really trust any pro cyclist from any era on the topic of doping." So I think it's unlikely I am the most gullible person you've ever run across on the internet.

It is extremely unlikely that any pro rider in the 10 ten ever, didn't use some for of doping. Even Lance denied it till the very end, why should anyone think differently of LeMond, just because he denies any involvement.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

It is extremely unlikely that any pro rider in the 10 ten ever, didn't use some for of doping. Even Lance denied it till the very end, why should anyone think differently of LeMond, just because he denies any involvement.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that there's a heck of a lot more evidence, and more solid evidence, incriminating Lance than there is Greg.
There's a point that doping has been endemic in pro cycling for a long time, and it's a safe baseline assumption that anyone in pro cycling is/was likely involved.
But there's a difference between actual solid evidence, multiple credible witness accounts, and an admission on one hand, and "he must have been a doper because he was a pro cyclist and a lot of the people around him were involved with doping."
The latter is, admittedly, guilty until proven innocent.
But the former is actually proven guilty.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Mockumentary on HBO - Tour de Pharmacy - featuring Lance and many SNL alum [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched "7 Days in Hell" this morning on the trainer - pretty funny - now I'm really looking forward to this Tour de Pharmacy movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance existed in a time of big $$ and more testing.
Lemond's era was a free for all.
I'm actually a big fan of both of them, because I view it as a pro sport, a form of entertainment. If you hate any of these pro's because of doping, then maybe you should hate every NFL, NBA, FIFA, NHL, etc player as well.

LeMond won two back to back TDF's in a time of big doping. Either he participated and is just denying it, or his soigneur Otto was secretly using more than plain massage oil on him...

Hey, anyone remember when the entire PDM team dropped out of the 1991 TDF from 'bad pasta sauce'?? lol, that was hilarious.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: May 20, 17 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Lance existed in a time of big $$ and more testing.
Lemond's era was a free for all.
I'm actually a big fan of both of them, because I view it as a pro sport, a form of entertainment. If you hate any of these pro's because of doping, then maybe you should hate every NFL, NBA, FIFA, NHL, etc player as well.

I don't hate them. I'm not particularly offended by doping per se. I'm a bit put off by dopers attacking other people - even other dopers - to cover up their own doping.

I may be wrong, but I don't get the sense that doping is as rampant now as it once was. Just recently I listened to Lionel Bernie and Daniel Freibe comparing stars' performances from the Lance and Indurain era to those of today - particularly the ability to recover instantly and maintain peak form for weeks and months on end - and noting a relative decline. Others who have looked at measures of performance have also found differences that they attribute to decreased doping effect. Who knows, maybe they're just all fooled. Or they're cycling journalists and it's in their interest to bolster the reputation of the sport. But there are people with extensive knowledge of pro cycling who profess a belief that the Lance era was substantially different. I don't have enough specific knowledge to be sure myself, just that there are differing opinions out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
So I think it's unlikely I am the most gullible person you've ever run across on the internet.

Don't take it hard. That's Arch Stanton's schtick. He pops up in every doping thread with a pro-Lance / anti-Lemond posture and claims anyone who disagrees with him is naive.
Last edited by: trail: May 20, 17 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Documentary featuring Lance and many others [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
alathIN wrote:
So I think it's unlikely I am the most gullible person you've ever run across on the internet.

Don't take it hard. That's Arch Stanton's schtick. He pops up in every doping thread with a pro-Lance / anti-Lemond posture and claims anyone who disagrees with him is naive.
At least he's avoided slamming Betsy Andreu in this thread (so far).

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
Just recently I listened to Lionel Bernie and Daniel Freibe comparing stars' performances from the Lance and Indurain era to those of today - particularly the ability to recover instantly and maintain peak form for weeks and months on end - and noting a relative decline.

Speak of the Devil - two days after I type this, the same two commentators noted that someone had completed a climb in a time that was extremely close to Pantani's record time - and added that is a loaded comparison since Pantani was DQ'd for a doping violation shortly after setting that record.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Mockumentary on HBO - Tour de Pharmacy - featuring Lance and many SNL alum [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZAiZ-jWf6I

I noticed they posted a second trailer

"The stakes are....medium!"

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Cycling Mockumentary on HBO - Tour de Pharmacy - featuring Lance and many SNL alum [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is a sport with literally hundreds of dollars on the line, and dozens of fans...

I can't wait for this, looks pretty good (if you like "dumb" comedies, my wife would hate it).
Quote Reply