Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New CycleOps Direct drive trainer....
Quote | Reply
Didnt see a thread on this....anyone have any info?
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Silencer? That's been out for quite a while. Is there another new one?

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure...is that the same as this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hole in the market for them to fill seems pretty obvious: a better Kickr than the Kickr, with an accurate PowerTap built in, selling for $100 more than the Kicker. They might move a little slowly, but I wouldn't want to compete with Cycleops long term.

I'll predict that whatever it is will put them back in the DCR rankings, probably at the top.
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say they are better off selling a FE-C controllable trainer for people who have Power Meters already. I've read so many people using "power Match" on Trainer road which means they've paid for a power meter in their Kickr, Snap, CT, Tacx that they don't use. I know I'd prefer a $300-400 trainer that fills this gap vs another trainer with a power meter built into it.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have pics of it?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still need the power meter in the trainer in order for power match to work. All it's doing is calibrating the trainer resistance to your power meter, and it needs its own power meter to measure how it's doing that. In other words, it's making it so that when you do an ERG workout set at 200w, it's going to set the resistance at a level that will make the power meter on your bike read 200w, so you can train to the same numbers indoors and out.
Last edited by: tpero: May 4, 16 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [tpero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understood but but what I'm saying is one that can read the ANT+ signal from your ANT+ power meter and alter the resistance this way. That removes the need for any power matching at all. It's also possible with the FE-C protocol from what I understand. The Trainer just needs any reading of power to change the resistance. This seems like a much better solution for most of us. Ideally we wouldn't ever use the trainers Power Meter when we don't race or train outdoors with it.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, and I think there is a market for both, an awesome smart trainer with an accurate power meter, and an awesome smart trainer with no power meter. You are right, the latter is the bigger hole in the market since I don't believe there is a comparable product.

So... anyone know what they are actually making?
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [tpero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tpero wrote:
You still need the power meter in the trainer in order for power match to work. All it's doing is calibrating the trainer resistance to your power meter, and it needs its own power meter to measure how it's doing that. In other words, it's making it so that when you do an ERG workout set at 200w, it's going to set the resistance at a level that will make the power meter on your bike read 200w, so you can train to the same numbers indoors and out.

Don't think this is true. Maybe you need/want a built in "powermeter" on the trainer for a tighter control loop. An external, to the trainer, powermeter could be used to set and control the loading in a control loop. The computrainer doesn't have a physical powermeter, it uses electronic motor feedback control to determine power levels.
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, just saw that video. Must be a new smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
I'd say they are better off selling a FE-C controllable trainer for people who have Power Meters already. I've read so many people using "power Match" on Trainer road which means they've paid for a power meter in their Kickr, Snap, CT, Tacx that they don't use. I know I'd prefer a $300-400 trainer that fills this gap vs another trainer with a power meter built into it.

so much this!

I still don't see the point of paying for a kickr when u need your own PM to make accurate enough!

Bike PM + *ERG-Trainer = ftw!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the new trainer has accurate power they could be on to a winner. I've just returned my second and replacement Kickr Snap for a refund. I'm back on my Cycleops Fluid 2. Power accuracy on the Snap was a joke and way off what my power meter said. It wasn't even a consistent difference. The higher the power target on the Snap the more out the actual power was. I had to use Power match with Trainerroad to get the Snap usable in ERG mode and then it only worked well on workouts with no big jumps in power target. So if the Cycleops trainer has a built in and accurate power meter, is quiet and works well with Trainerroad and Zwift I'm sure it will do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up the "World Wide Debut" of this trainer is going down next Wednesday here in San Diego. Cycleops along with the Trek-Segafredo Team are going to be in town doing a meet and greet and showing this thing off.

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/about/tour-of-california-mania-pg1206.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump! Seeing that it's meant to be out today.

Any updates?

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
DCRainmaker review http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...r-smart-trainer.html

Thanks. If the power output is accurate I could well be interested in buying one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:

For what I understand, Zwift doesn't support ERG mode on smart trainers using a separate power meter. That means no automatic resistance changes unless using the smart trainer's own power meter. That being the case, it doesn't make sense to not have the PM on-board.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zeift doesn't need too when all the current generation cycling head units can control trainers now via FE-C via the ANT+ protocol. The software just need to tell the head unit what to do. Even if it's not currently available a quick code update would allow this.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it really a direct drive (i.e. no belt)? The Kickr is NOT a direct drive, there is a belt between the LG and the cassette. That is the root of many of it's issues. The NEO doesn't use a belt. I'm curious if anyone knows if the hammer is truly direct or if they are using belts?
Quote Reply
Re: New CycleOps Direct drive trainer.... [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Is it really a direct drive (i.e. no belt)? The Kickr is NOT a direct drive, there is a belt between the LG and the cassette. That is the root of many of it's issues. The NEO doesn't use a belt. I'm curious if anyone knows if the hammer is truly direct or if they are using belts?

There's a belt inside. It can be seen within their promo video.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
I know I'd prefer a $300-400 trainer that fills this gap vs another trainer with a power meter built into it.

The Vortex Smart is pretty much just that.

I have a vortex smart and I'm pretty sure that the Vortex just estimates power based on known resistance curves and proper tire contact/calibration. The power reading from the Vortex are consistent with my Stages PM at steady state riding and moderate speed changes, but really misses spikes in power during sprints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw it in person last night at the Trek Segafredo Team Night here in San Diego. Pretty cool, noise level was impressive but then again it was in a large room with some considerable background noise so that influenced things. I didn't get a chance to ride it and see if the larger flywheel they were harping on really gives it more of a road like feel. I just can't bring myself to even considering a $1200 trainer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next