Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-)
Quote | Reply
Got this pair from the new production batch today... it has GP TT thread slick in the middle, textured on the side. Given the Supersonic used to be quite good aerodynamically (previous version) mostly because it was narrow but not only, given the TT is not so good aerodynamically past 7.5° of yaw mostly because it is a bit wide and round but not only... where does the child of Supersonic and TT sit ? ;-)

No idea... just wanted to make Thomas both happy and confused all at once ;-)))) . Did it work Thomas ? ;-)))

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/...id=800028IMG3828.jpg][/url]

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/...id=984852IMG3829.jpg][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Got this pair from the new production batch today... it has GP TT thread slick in the middle, textured on the side. Given the Supersonic used to be quite good aerodynamically (previous version) mostly because it was narrow but not only, given the TT is not so good aerodynamically past 7.5° of yaw mostly because it is a bit wide and round but not only... where does the child of Supersonic and TT sit ? ;-)

No idea... just wanted to make Thomas both happy and confused all at once ;-)))) . Did it work Thomas ? ;-)))

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/...id=800028IMG3828.jpg][/url]

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/...id=984852IMG3829.jpg][/url]

Yes of course. Where did you pick these up?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no! they`ve changed them :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are these what Kienle was riding in Kona?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Are these what Kienle was riding in Kona?

Kienle doesn't ride SS. He rides Conti TTs except his front, is a prototype. Conti TT casing with GP4000s tread pattern and maybe the tread shape as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is interesting...I have 4 of the old SS brand new in box I'll be using for races only until someone figures this out though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silly Conti...always changing things unannounced :-/

BTW, I haven't published this yet, but I recently rolled a newer vintage of the SS 20C, and it rolls slightly faster (~1-2W per tire @ 40kph) than the older one I had previously tested ~4-5 years ago. That's going to make certain older, narrow rims (e.g. H3) a bit more competitive overall. That actually would put it firmly into second place for overall speed (aero + Crr) for all of the wheel/tire combos I tested during my WIn Tunnel foray last year. In fact, it would put it nearly tied between -5 and +5 deg with the Flo90/SS23 combination:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Where did you buy these?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So where'd you get them? Have to admit they don't look as good as the old ones, mainly because of the bump on the transition to the sidewall. The rough pattern on the sidewall could go either way.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that lines up with what someone that field tested them told me in the past :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shop had those on backorder for me for the last 8 months or so... I was not even expecting them anymore (now that racing season is over and it was my last racing Ironman...) but they arrived about 8 days ago so I thought I'd pick them up anyway just out of curiosity ;-) !!!
I guess if I got a couple that many more are coming to the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winstanley is stocking them in 23. I had a order in my checkout basket, but I refuse to pay 50 Gbp to ship them to Canada!
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, have you tried pairing a 20c SS with a Jet+ rim? It seems like it would be too narrow a tire on such a wide rim, but clearly the combination works well on Flo...

--
When I channel my hate to productive, I don't find it hard to impress
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [JFromTheBlock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFromTheBlock wrote:
Tom, have you tried pairing a 20c SS with a Jet+ rim? It seems like it would be too narrow a tire on such a wide rim, but clearly the combination works well on Flo...

I haven't...but I probably wouldn't want to run something like that except on a super-smooth surface due to the resultant low "tire height".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except they get taller as well as wider on a jet+, at least compared to a non-wide rim, like h3

so I am not sure what your lower "tire height" is in reference to, unless you mean due to lower tire pressure you'll bottom out faster?
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
except they get taller as well as wider on a jet+, at least compared to a non-wide rim, like h3

so I am not sure what your lower "tire height" is in reference to, unless you mean due to lower tire pressure you'll bottom out faster?

Yes, relative to the width...and since the tire is effectively wider, the pressure should be dropped, so easier to bottom because of that combo.

Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hang on, why would the tire get taller on a wider rim? That seems geometrically counter intuitive.

--
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [JFromTheBlock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFromTheBlock wrote:
Hang on, why would the tire get taller on a wider rim? That seems geometrically counter intuitive.

Definitely seems counter-intuitive. Regardless, there is a great illustration about mid-way down on this ST Article: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...erm_review_4056.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you assume the casing does not stretch and has a fixed section length, then what happens is it does not have to form a balloon shape from the rim. It instead becomes more of an inverted U shape. So less sectional length is wasted bulging out from the rim and instead extends further away from the rim. On a narrow rim the tire width will be more than the rim width, on the jet+ rims the 20mm SS is narrower than the rim width.

these are measurements I made back in February on my own wheels with a 20mm SS

h3=19.7w x 16.8t rim 19mm
jet 6+= 23.1wx 18.1t rim 25mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's interesting, I would not have guessed that the narrow-rim shape would behave that way.

So is your conclusion to run a ss 20c on a jet+ front wheel?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one could try I suppose, taking Tom's comments into play tho, you might not want to. Plus, you would want to test what the fastest combo is for you

I did do some coast downs to ball park it, but not stringent enough to post results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did anyone else pick these from chain reaction cycles earlier this week? Got an e-mail alert Monday, rushed to computer, purchased!! Part of me didn't think they would actually show up at my front door. Arrived on Friday.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
So did anyone else pick these from chain reaction cycles earlier this week? Got an e-mail alert Monday, rushed to computer, purchased!! Part of me didn't think they would actually show up at my front door. Arrived on Friday.

I ordered 3 pairs - I think they are due to arrive tomorrow. I talked to TJ at IMAZ about them, he was rolling his last new pair of the 20mm that he had for the race.

Quote Reply
Re: New Conti Supersonic : now how do we know if it's still aero ;-) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I ordered 3 pairs

Hey, me too!!

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picked up a bunch as well. 23s. Never ridden them. How long can I expect to get out of each set. Are flats a serious issue. Will be throwing them on my 808/super 9 for races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next