Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Cervelo or something else?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I may in the market for a new bike. I currently ride a 2008 Cervelo P2 and previously rode a 2002 Cervelo Dual. So I've been pretty loyal to Cervelo and am considering a 2015 P2 (or maybe 2014 P3) but wonder what else may be a good option for me (5'5" female racing mostly half). I don't live anywhere near a bike shop so I can't do much hands on shopping. Is Cervelo still the best bang for my buck? What about the 2015 P2 vs. 2014 P3? Any other thoughts?
Feedback is very much appreciated.

http://www.tri-ingtokeepwarm.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo or something else? [akbreezo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the paint better on the P3. But if I were in the market for a new bike today, one of those would be it. Currently ride a 2011 Speed Concept and the standard brakes on the P2/P3 are the biggest selling point form me.

Or if I wanted to spend more, I would look at the Dimond.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo or something else? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. I like the paint better on the P3 too, but not sure if that is enough to justify the cost difference. What are the primary differences between the P2 and P3 these days?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different fork. Different paint. The P3 fork may be faster. Or it may not be.

Honestly they are charging you more for a better looking bike.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akbreezo wrote:
LOL. I like the paint better on the P3 too, but not sure if that is enough to justify the cost difference. What are the primary differences between the P2 and P3 these days?

The fork and the stock components neither of which are guaranteed to make you any faster. P2 and some aero wheels if it were my $$$

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge Cervelo fan and have the 2011 P2, but the new Felt IA 4 is a really nice option too http://www.feltbicycles.com/.../IA-Series/ia-4.aspx

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am struggling with the same issue. Where does one stop spending money.

The biggest bang for the buck for me is to take a 2015 P2, take off the 11 speed parts, and put on Ultegra 10 speed parts.
This would give me a 175mm crank, compact cranks 50/34 and a back 11/32 cassettee. A 130 stem with about
a 150mm drop into the aerobars. Doing this I can use all my existing wheels and leave the shop at about 3K.
Everything else I look at just keeps going up in price, and I do not think I would get any real time in a faster bike split.
But, I sure would love a P3 with Di2. But is it work like 3.5K more?

I am driving the wife nuts.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo or something else? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You thinking swapping out the 11 speed 105s for 10 speed Ultegra is worth it? I'd love Di2 as well, but I worry about maintenance and repair living somewhere without support for them. Too risky for me, unfortunately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size is your P2 and what is your setup like? Cervelo's fit has changed somewhat over time.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo or something else? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm riding a 51. I haven't really changed much of anything from stock, with the exception of a new front chain ring (I'll have to double check on the new specs), FLO wheels and an Adamo saddle.

Here are the 2008 specs:
http://www.bikepedia.com/...model=P2C%2fDura-Ace

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akbreezo wrote:
You thinking swapping out the 11 speed 105s for 10 speed Ultegra is worth it? I'd love Di2 as well, but I worry about maintenance and repair living somewhere without support for them. Too risky for me, unfortunately.

The LBS cannot get the P2 58 with 10 speed. So the shop would keep the 11 speed parts and use somewhere else. So the 10 speed was 2500. I can get the P2 removing the 11 speed parts
and get ultegra instead of 105, a 175mm compact 50/34 which is not on the 11 speed, and a 11/32 cassette and the mountain bike RD that works with the 11/32. Plus the correct stem to fit me.
So lots of labor to change over. But this would allow me to use my existing zipp wheels, and training wheels, all of which have 10 speed 11/32's on them. All for 2750 plus tax.

Yep, the Di2 is great when it works but if you have issues, ..

No one can tell me that anything over this P2 10 speed would be really any faster for any extra money that would be spent.

I hate to buy something new with 10 speed parts, but buying a new disc wheel does not make a lot of sense. I could always put 11 speed parts back on the frame if needed, but why? The 10 speed
work just fine.

But, the P3 with Di2 looks so so cool. :(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sizing wise, the old p2 had a stack and reach of 482, 405

The new p2 has a stack reach of 506, 397

so if on your old bike you have an upturned stem and/or some spacers and a stem that is no longer than 110mm, you could probably get the new p2 and get rid of some spacers or turn down your stem, and possibly get a stem with some added reach. However, if you are slammed to the headset on a downturned stem, it might be worth looking at a different bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the new P2.
The difference in '14 and '15 models is the equipment, otherwise it remains unchanged.

The difference between the P2 and P3 is mostly paint job. The P3 has a slightly more aero fork, but independent testing (non Cervelo) showed that this resulted in a 1 second gain over 180km at 40km/h. So really, nothing. That is +$700 for a paint job.

I got the P2 with 105 in the fall for a great price at the local bike show. I too wasn't so jazzed about the paint job, but wasn't willing to spend that much on the P3 paint. The blue and white has definitely grown on me. I think it's a bike I will love for years to come. It seems to have a more classic, enduring look that won't feel so dated in two years time. And the combo of user friendliness + aero qualities is unbeatable.

I switched the components from my old bike to the P2 and with the money I saved (but was willing to spend), made some upgrades:
SRAM Force 22 (11spd)
Got the shop to buy back the OEM saddle and got a Specialized Sitero.
Bought lightly used Ultegra brakes
Then won a TriRig Omega brake, so have that out front now
Switched the bars for the Profile Design Svet Zero basebar but kept the stock T4+ extensions
Kept the Reynolds Strike SLG wheels from my old bike

I now have a super fast setup that is not giving up much to the superbikes, for less than half of what a P5 costs.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a 2104 P2. I'm clearly in the minority here, but I like the paint job on the NP2 better than the NP3. The stealth look does nothing for me.

I was able to get the 10-sp P2 in my size at the $300 discount relative to the 11-sp version. Since I was planning on upgrading the wheels to something that is 11-sp compatible anyway and my shop was generous on doing upgrades, starting with the 10-sp worked out better for me. They gave me credit for the stock wheels (only worth about $100 for the pair), the 105 5700 RD, Tiagra casette and chain, and 10-sp DA shifters. Those credits equaled what they charged me for Ultegra 6800 RD, 12-25 cassette and chain, plus the 11-sp DA shifters. I also got a discount on new HED Ardennes LT+ wheels.

I swapped out the stock saddle and chainrings for a Cobb V-Flow Plus and Praxis chainrings. I sold the stock saddle on ST. Like Staer, I'm thinking that I may switch to a Svet Zero basebar, but I'm happy with the T4+ extensions. Add some Jet 6+ wheels and maybe a Power2Max power meter in the future, and I can't imagine wanting anything else as far as a TT/Tri bike is concerned.
Last edited by: Pete Schiller: Mar 3, 15 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo or something else? [Pete Schiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you want the Di2, there is no reason to spend more on the P3. The P2 is just as fast as the P3 and unless you have to have the higher end components that the P3 comes with then you're wasting your money. If you buy a P2 and buy nicer wheels you will go faster than you would with the P3. I sell these bikes on a daily basis and I ride the new P3 personally.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo or something else? [DirtyKolache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fact, I purchased a P2 and changed out the components that came with it for Di2. With Zipp 404 I know I have as fast a bike as any P3 for more than a grand less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akbreezo wrote:
Is Cervelo still the best bang for my buck?.

For the last 5 or 6 years I have not seen any brand consistently compete with Cervelo. If you are spending your own money I wouldn't garmbe on another brand.
Quote Reply