Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Big Boy Wheels
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/AeroCoach

So the first full pictures of the Aero-Coach deep section wheels is out. Up to 100mm of deepness fun, some interesting design changes compared to regular wheels, and reasonable prices.

Oh and for only the second time in my life I beat BryanD to the punch!
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha to be honest I’ve barely read about AeroCoach or know anything about them

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a Pheonix from the ashes the Zipp 1080 lives again! I wonder how it will handle in the wind :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look cool! I'd be replacing this setup:

Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That a pretty good WayBackMachine! You just need the Wrist Relief extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for mine to get here so I have the matching set. I'll roll with the 100mm and keep the 70mm around for, uhhh, triathlons? :D

Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 100mm has 17% more sideforce than the 75mm (which was designed for stability) at low yaw.
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Can't wait for mine to get here so I have the matching set. I'll roll with the 100mm and keep the 70mm around for, uhhh, triathlons? :D

When will these be available? If actual availability is in March, I'm holding out of Jet 9+ purchase.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap.. I was finally about to make a decision on HED vs Flo for my next wheelset (60 front, disc back) but now I have to consider these guys!

Looking really interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they make that 100mm in a rear wheel?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. There is a rear 75mm in the works though (different from the front profile).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So have you gotten to test the fronts yet? I have seen some picture of you on the Aero Coach Facebook page, but you cant tell which front wheel you are riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

I think they look stupid as all shit.

The front wheel and rear wheel (if non disc) should be approximately the depth of the down tube for any road/gravel bike and either equivalent to or (no more than) ~25 mm deeper than the down tube for any triathlon bike. This is an aesthetic fact. Similar to: the logo color on your wheels needs to match either the logo color on the frame or one of the secondary colors...or black.

So yeah if you have a giant weathervane of a bike like the Shiv or Felt IA then roll these wheels, but otherwise you’re violating one of the rules of bicycle beauty.

Besides that I think the label and logo design is atrocious.

And don’t tell me they are the most aero without testing it in my bike with front end setup. We all know that the differences between these high end wheels are so small that you have to actually test your bike with all these wheels which would of course be a waste of money to find out all these are within 5 watts of each other and by the way the tire / tire pressure interaction with the rim is probably causing that much uncertainty too.

I think these wheel claims are a bunch of bullshit. Except guys like Flo because you have to respect those guys for rejecting the temptation to spend a bunch of money to make a useless claim or worse, little money in a fixed test, in order to make a contrived claim.

Besides that, now that rotor-based braking has made the very perceptible rim-based performance differences a non issue.

So it’s time to return to our aesthetic optimization of these works of performance art and I think these wheels are busted
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Grill wrote:

I think they look stupid as all shit.

The front wheel and rear wheel (if non disc) should be approximately the depth of the down tube for any road/gravel bike and either equivalent to or (no more than) ~25 mm deeper than the down tube for any triathlon bike. This is an aesthetic fact. Similar to: the logo color on your wheels needs to match either the logo color on the frame or one of the secondary colors...or black.

So yeah if you have a giant weathervane of a bike like the Shiv or Felt IA then roll these wheels, but otherwise you’re violating one of the rules of bicycle beauty.

Besides that I think the label and logo design is atrocious.

And don’t tell me they are the most aero without testing it in my bike with front end setup. We all know that the differences between these high end wheels are so small that you have to actually test your bike with all these wheels which would of course be a waste of money to find out all these are within 5 watts of each other and by the way the tire / tire pressure interaction with the rim is probably causing that much uncertainty too.

I think these wheel claims are a bunch of bullshit. Except guys like Flo because you have to respect those guys for rejecting the temptation to spend a bunch of money to make a useless claim or worse, little money in a fixed test, in order to make a contrived claim.

Besides that, now that rotor-based braking has made the very perceptible rim-based performance differences a non issue.

So it’s time to return to our aesthetic optimization of these works of performance art and I think these wheels are busted

Best. Post. Ever.
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't agree on the aesthetics side. Though I have a Felt IA and Specialized Shiv that i usually run them on, the Knight 95 rims look good on every frame I have put them on, despite being huge.
They are also a handful in the wind.

But on the aero claims, I think we're on solid ground here. Why? Because they did the most sensible thing. They cheated :-)
Changing the geometry of the hub to be narrower and taller will improve the interaction between wheel and fork in every frame except a Dimond w/ super fork and maybe the Orbea bow-legged thing. All else being equal, this gets them a couple of watts. Especially in your P4.

The disc's bump looks closer to 150mm or so. Not sure I understand the thought process there, other than just following along where the CFD leads you.
That said, I've harped too frequently and for too long on the virtues of curvature, so perhaps this isn't a fight I should get involved in.
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot to add that shorter spokes reduce rotational drag. The spokes at the top of the wheel move more slowly relative to the air.
Quote Reply
Re: New Big Boy Wheels [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still have my Blackwell 100's which is what i believe Zipp produced the 1080 to compete with - paired the 100 in the front with a disk rear and it was a great set up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those wheels look cool. Might consider them also.

Cannondale Slice 08
look keo pedals
fizik k3 arione saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now with aero data:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Now with aero data:

Nice. Interesting to see the Jet 9 still being so competitive. There aren't any obvious tricks once you add the Kahm tail axles and high hub flange. Do you know which frame was used or whether the fork is wide or narrow?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Jet 9+ is a fantastically designed product. I've tested a whole lot of wheels, and the fact that anything beats it, especially for the price, impresses the hell out of me. Also far as cool features, there's also the hidden valve which is neat.

AeroCoach is heavily Cervelo-centric, although there's a Speedmax floating around out there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did you do the riding for the testing on your P5?

I always wondered about the Trispokes on the narrow-forked bikes. The rumor has been that the high pressure pulse of the spoke passing through the fork was a problem, but the Speed Concepts and Pinarellos would be affected less with the wide fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but there are at least 2 other team riders on the P5.

I've personally tested 4 trispokes (PX, H3, GT3, and PRO), and they don't do that bad (in fact there are some that are downright competitive), but the Jet 9+ has always been the best proposition for me. Well, until now!

Interesting theory on the wide forks. You might be onto something.
Quote Reply