Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Balance people!
Quote | Reply
is or poll out of balance! what are you running in that's not on the poll? (that is, what NB shoe is not on the poll that YOU are running in; that YOU would check if there was radio button next to it).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see the poll from my phone but I am in almost retro 860 v4's.

I really like them but supplies seem to have dried up in my size now ... :-(

Adidas ultra boost st are looking very tempting ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
860 is on the poll.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, and why can't you see it on your phone? have you scrolled down?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already answered the 1500 for a light weight trainer/racer but would like to have the 890v4 back. Went through 5-6 pairs as an everyday trainer or racer during longer trail races.
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [EastBay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 890 got sucked up into the Fresh Foam series. And, well, the 1080 does a damn good job of providing that ride/weight balance in a nicer overall package (read: more forefoot cushioning!)

I still rue the day they killed the 870. Alas, the 1500 comes damn close.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [EastBay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not find a pair of the 890's that I did not like, wish NB did not discontinue them. The NB help line tells me that the Vanzee is their replacement, but I am not sure that I like them as much. I would wear the 890's until there was not any black left on the bottoms and all that was left was the foam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I could use some New Balance Help from anyone who has more experience. I've finally reached the end of my last pair of MR00 (minimus road, zero drop). I loved these shoes, but they are discontinued completely. I've tried the MT10 (trail version, 4mm drop) and never loved them. More because of the grippy/textured sole and awkward reinforced upper than the 4m drop. I've also tried a pair of Vivobarefoot Stealth (zero drop) but have found them too harsh in the sole. I can also rule out Merrell (Bare Access) as the arch is way too tall for my foot. My one other big limitation is I have a significantly wide toe box (I wear an 8.5 2E in the NB and they fit well). Most shoes are far too narrow in the forefoot for me.

Anyone have suggestions for a MR00 replacement? Are the Minimus Trainers (MX20 v5 or v6) my best bet? Or the 200 trainer? Or something else?

Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops. My shoe was there.

Personal Best Multisport Coaching
http://www.pbmcoaching.com
Last edited by: tri3kb: Feb 22, 17 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used just about every version of the 890 and loved them all. Once I saw they were being discontinued I bought 6 pairs of them (I've never done that before). I have just one pair in a box left.
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [BudhaSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BudhaSlug wrote:
Well, I could use some New Balance Help from anyone who has more experience. I've finally reached the end of my last pair of MR00 (minimus road, zero drop). I loved these shoes, but they are discontinued completely. I've tried the MT10 (trail version, 4mm drop) and never loved them. More because of the grippy/textured sole and awkward reinforced upper than the 4m drop. I've also tried a pair of Vivobarefoot Stealth (zero drop) but have found them too harsh in the sole. I can also rule out Merrell (Bare Access) as the arch is way too tall for my foot. My one other big limitation is I have a significantly wide toe box (I wear an 8.5 2E in the NB and they fit well). Most shoes are far too narrow in the forefoot for me.

Anyone have suggestions for a MR00 replacement? Are the Minimus Trainers (MX20 v5 or v6) my best bet? Or the 200 trainer? Or something else?

Check out either the Topo ST-2, or possibly something from Altra like The ONE. The Bare Access does have a ridiculous arch in it, I ran in version 2 and 3, but hated the version 4. It's too bad Merrell doesn't make the old RoadGlove 2's anymore - they were my favorite in the series but not made anymore. Merrell does have the VaporGlove, but it's pretty minimal if that's your thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch from NB Minimus zero (9.5 2E) to Altra One 2.5 size 10. They are zero drop with very wide toe box. So far so good, a bit cushy though.
Last edited by: ac1210: Feb 22, 17 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never see the polls on my phone.

Edit: I realize now that the poll is only visible on the front page when I'm on my phone, and not in the forum.
Last edited by: minimalist: Feb 22, 17 21:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned...make your way on over to the Altra showroom and pick up either the Intuition or One. It's as close as you're going to get.

The MR00 went away because...well...once we figured out ways to still maintain cushion and low-offset without creating an unstable platform...nobody wanted minimal anymore!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BudhaSlug wrote:

I'm with you, I loved those shoes and my last pair is just about dead. I keep them around for use on the treadmill but that's about it. NB did bring back the original Minimus Trail version which is zero drop, but it has an aggressive outsole like the MT10. Personally I find the combination of lugged outsole and lack of cushioning make it unusable on the road but maybe it will work for you. Also, I've never worn them but I always thought the Skora Phase would be a good replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the Altra recommendations, but I really like the low stack and minimal (but still just there) padding of the MR00. I run pretty low mileage (20-25/wk in 5mi runs), and I've quite literally never had a running related injury, so I don't see the need for increased padding or stack.

For perspective, I'm originally a cyclist and am one of those weirdos who have been riding fixed gear for 15+ years because I enjoy the connected feel to the bike/road. I want my running to feel like that too and its one of the aspects I liked about the MR00 over any other shoe I've tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra - zero drop. Same as your MR00s.

The One/Intuition, or a Topo (but that's going to have a weird arch feel in it), is as close as you're going to get.

Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a look at the Skora. If it has just a bit of foam in the sole, like the MR00, and it fits as wide in the toe-box, that might be a viable replacement. I think the problem with the Vivobarefoot is the sole is just a solid sheet of formed rubber, so it strikes the road quite hard. Thanks for the tip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I REALLY miss the 890s...

Now I wear the Vazee line, which unfortunately does not come in 4E width.

Currently rotating through an old pair of 890s, Vazee Pace, and the 2090
Last edited by: stevenyoo: Feb 23, 17 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [stevenyoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of folks missing the old 890's. The new 1080 is far better IMO in that it is just as light, is a true 4E which I require(forefoot in 890 seemed narrow even with 4E), and seems to last longer in my contact areas. My wish would be a for a racer/flat from NB in a 4E all the way to my 14. I have some really old RC550's that were great for 5ks and sprint tris.
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [drderek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drderek wrote:
I see a lot of folks missing the old 890's. The new 1080 is far better IMO in that it is just as light, is a true 4E which I require(forefoot in 890 seemed narrow even with 4E), and seems to last longer in my contact areas. My wish would be a for a racer/flat from NB in a 4E all the way to my 14. I have some really old RC550's that were great for 5ks and sprint tris.

I'll be sure to check out the 1080s, thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried both Altra and Topo and neither felt anything like the MR00. In fairness I haven't worn Altras in a few years so maybe they're better now, but the ones I had felt like running in swim fins. Technically they were zero drop and pretty low stack but they were stiff and so wide that they just felt clunky, not to mention they were hideous. The best Topo model I found was the original ST, but it appears Topo has changed it significantly on the ST-2.

Maybe if we all contact New Balance they will bring back the MR00 like they did with the trail version!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BudhaSlug wrote:
I'll take a look at the Skora. If it has just a bit of foam in the sole, like the MR00, and it fits as wide in the toe-box, that might be a viable replacement. I think the problem with the Vivobarefoot is the sole is just a solid sheet of formed rubber, so it strikes the road quite hard. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, Skora isn't making any more shoes at the moment. You'll be hard-pressed to find a pair at any retailer, online or otherwise.

I have a pair of NB MX20 v5's and they're not ideal for running, as the soles are a tad stiffer (since they're meant to be used for cross-training and weight lifting)
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [drderek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of 1080v6 on order. I hope they are the 890 replacements I have been looking for. The closest shoe I have found in terms of feel to the 890 is the 1500. Personally I do not care for the Vazee line the NB reps steered me to. I found the fit to be narrow and toe box to be cramped compared to the 890. The midsoles seems much stiffer than the 890s. There is nothing wrong with any this but I definitely would not call that a successor to the 890.
Quote Reply
Re: New Balance people! [sohnc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sohnc wrote:
I have a pair of 1080v6 on order. I hope they are the 890 replacements I have been looking for. The closest shoe I have found in terms of feel to the 890 is the 1500. Personally I do not care for the Vazee line the NB reps steered me to. I found the fit to be narrow and toe box to be cramped compared to the 890. The midsoles seems much stiffer than the 890s. There is nothing wrong with any this but I definitely would not call that a successor to the 890.

NB seems to be missing a couple (or just one) shoe in their lineup. And that is a trainer version of the 1500.

Like you, I was told to try the Vazee line and they are very firm. So firm, that I don't understand why they even exist at their weight. The 1500 is softer than the Vazee and is much lighter.

I'm currently using the Saucony Guide as my trainer (LOVE) and the 1500 to race (maybe the Clayton for 140.6 but we'll see). But I really wish NB would create a soft, structured 9.5oz trainer. I feel the market is there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next