Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA
Quote | Reply
http://www.trisports.com/...ydration-system.html

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$199. Oh. Fuck. No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
http://www.trisports.com/vision-metron-front-hydration-system.html

Looks like the mount for the Forerunner (910 and 920) watches wasn't thought about. Odd.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
$199. Oh. Fuck. No.

+1

Think I'll stick to my xlab torpedo for 40 bucks, or just a 5.00 cage ziptied between the bars and spend thag 200 on something useful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, just wow. It looks like someone may have forgotten to do a little market research. It is hard to imagine they will sell many at that price point. It does not appear to offer any material advantages over the competitors at a fraction of the price. I spent way too much on my Torpedo Versa 500 Carbon. But, it has more fluid capacity and weighs less-- at a lower price point than this.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The XLAB Torpedo Versa 500 is the best BTA on the market.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Agreed. The XLAB Torpedo Versa 500 is the best BTA on the market.

Now you're just baiting me.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my wife has one of the competing products and it's so poorly engineered that I'd rather spend $200 on something that works than $70 on a POS that spews Gatorade all over the bike and breaks in the middle of a ride.

Now, personally, I just use a bottle cage between my arms and think all these things are over-engineered, but if it's actually a quality product they should be able to sell them to us free-spending triathletes, LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll stick with this, tried a few BTA solutions but this still tops them all.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [JTNero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can one-up you:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNero wrote:

Ditto, kind of.

I love my Xlab Torpedo Kompact. Great place for my Garmin integrated into the unit. easy to use and set up. Couldn't be happier.

http://www.xlab-usa.com/torpedo-kompact.html
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [Cuban3jumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to thread hijack, but this is the first year I've gone long and I have a 70.3 coming up in about a month and realized I needed to get hydration setup and didn't think I needed to create yet another thread on BTA hydration. I see so many people with the BTA/straw setups but worry about refilling as my bike handling skills leave much to be desired as do those of the people riding around me who are refilling their bottles. My plan is to have a concentrated bottle of Infinit on my down tube and then grab water for BTA at the aid stations. Aero is always a concern, but let's be honest, I'm not winning any awards. I'm a big fan of the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid) which lead me to simply using zip ties to install a Gorilla Cage BTA (or something like the Torpedo Kompact) and swapping out bottles at the aid stations. I assume something like the Gorilla cage will hold standard water bottles from aid stations? Is there a big advantage to using one of the larger BTA setups with a built in straw over this method? How about for 140.6?
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a single cage zip tied between my aerobars like the pic above for over 5 years. I've done half a dozen halfs and 2 full IMs with that setup. You pass an aid station roughly every 30 minutes on an IM course, enough to easily consume 48 ounces an hour without adding another bottle. I'll typically switch between water and Gatorade for hydration and get additional calories from something like fat free brownies, waffles, even PB&J that I'll put in my jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Not to thread hijack, but this is the first year I've gone long and I have a 70.3 coming up in about a month and realized I needed to get hydration setup and didn't think I needed to create yet another thread on BTA hydration. I see so many people with the BTA/straw setups but worry about refilling as my bike handling skills leave much to be desired as do those of the people riding around me who are refilling their bottles. My plan is to have a concentrated bottle of Infinit on my down tube and then grab water for BTA at the aid stations. Aero is always a concern, but let's be honest, I'm not winning any awards. I'm a big fan of the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid) which lead me to simply using zip ties to install a Gorilla Cage BTA (or something like the Torpedo Kompact) and swapping out bottles at the aid stations. I assume something like the Gorilla cage will hold standard water bottles from aid stations? Is there a big advantage to using one of the larger BTA setups with a built in straw over this method? How about for 140.6?

Sounds like we're about the same when it comes to handling skills. I went with a concentrated mix on the down tube and a torpedo w/ water up front. Depending on the heat you'll likely refill the BTA once, maybe twice. If you keep the soft / foam cover on it you just grab a water bottle, turn it upside down, plug it in, squeeze 5-10 seconds, and you're done. Toss it, drop back to aero, and keep on rolling. Do a few practice runs with family or friend holding one out for you and you'll be fine.

My next issue to figure out is not coming out of aero when grabbing my concentrated mix every 15 minutes...
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
$199. Oh. Fuck. No.

Looks like it was priced wrong. $99.

Got it for $80 at trisports.com with their Memorial Day discount.

I'm not sure how well it's going to match up with a Dimond +Zipp Vuka Stealth (that bulge in the front of the base bar might be an issue) but I thought I'd give it a try.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 28, 16 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give it a try since with the USAT discount its not that pricey and its $55 just to replace that shitty Torhans 30 that splashed me all the time anyway and split along its seam last week. Kinda sorry I ever tried Torhans.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
davetallo wrote:
$199. Oh. Fuck. No.

+1

Think I'll stick to my xlab torpedo for 40 bucks, or just a 5.00 cage ziptied between the bars and spend thag 200 on something useful

Hookers and blow.

I've got a stainless cage zip-tied BTA setup, so even more $ left for other necessities.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Got it for $80 at trisports.com with their Memorial Day discount.

Can we see what it looks like mounted? (Even better if we can see a shot of it between your arms) Documentation shows you can mount either over or under your extensions. I would think an undermount would be more aero? I've gone through 2 cracked Profile Design FC 25 BTA and deciding between this or the XLAB torpedo with the Trisports mounts (which is pretty expensive).
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [sky88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't work well with a Dimond + Zipp Vuka Stealth bars. That bump in the front of the Vuka Stealths pushes it out too far. It was probably at least 3" from the Dimond brake cover/head tube.

Torhans Aero Z is what I'm going with.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [Cuban3jumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Plus now I don't have to try to clean those awkwardly-shaped bottles.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picked up one of these for the wife.

Pluses:
Overall, much better engineered than the Torhans 30 bottle she had been using, which required her to duct tape the top to prevent it from spilling all over her bike, thus preventing refilling on the fly.
The baffling is very effective at preventing leakage.
The fold-down straw works well and doesn't leak when folded.
The clamps are nicely designed, clean looking, snap on securely, and have small velcro straps so you don't need to mess with zipties.
The Garmin-compatible computer mount also works well.

Minuses:
The rubber flap comes up when you hit bumps. Luckily the baffling is very good so it doesn't matter much. We're going to use a bit of velcro to secure it.
Because of the baffling, it's a bit slow to refill on the fly. My wife is going to do it in a couple of batches rather than all at once.
Challenging to clean because of the baffling.
Doesn't curve around like the Torhans so you're not going to get it right up against your head tube.

Other:
The bento portion is held on with magnets. There's no top which limits what you can put in it. We removed it.

Overall a big improvement in terms of functionality from the Torhans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNero wrote:

This is what I run and I just cant see a reason to change (for long course). For short course with no refilling where you could just use the bottle and literally never break position, MAYBE you could talk me into a fancy bottle, but the moment I have to refill that thing while riding, I see no reason to use anything more than the above.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might try it if my Torhans ever bites the dust. I personally have no problems with the Torhans. I duct taped the solid top cap on one side so I can open it and fill on the fly without having to worry about dropping the cap. With the top cap closed, I have never had a problem with splashing. With it open I can fill it in about 2 big squeezes of a standard water bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I noticed the same thing. Seems like a pretty decent setup for an all in one.
Quote Reply
Re: New BTA on the Market. Vision Metron BTA [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I might try it if my Torhans ever bites the dust. I personally have no problems with the Torhans. I duct taped the solid top cap on one side so I can open it and fill on the fly without having to worry about dropping the cap. With the top cap closed, I have never had a problem with splashing. With it open I can fill it in about 2 big squeezes of a standard water bottle.

I haven't had a problem with the Aero30 splashing, but during IMLou 2015, the mount kit broke (where the Velcro strap gets threaded) when I was riding on a rough patch of road. The bottle fell to the ground and split leaving me, literally, high and dry. I let Torhans know this happened and they sent me a bottle and new mount kit right away.

IMO, that's really one of the only flaws of that hydration system...the mount kit needs to be reinforced.

Is there another hydration system that can compare aerodynamically?
Quote Reply

Prev Next