Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Aero Brakes
Quote | Reply
Dear Slowtwitch Forum,
My name is Matt Simkins and I have been working on a new aero brake for over a year now. This is Simkins Design’s 4th brake design. It is the 3rd attempt at a Triathlon/Time Trial brake. It integrates everything that was learned over the years from reviewers, customers, and pros. This design was extensively drag tested with an assortment of fans, flow meters, force sensors, smoke bombs, cardboard, Styrofoam, and fluid dynamic theory.
The attached pictures are of a functioning prototype. THIS IS NOT A COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE PRODUCT. I am not trying to sell anyone anything. The brake ended up looking a bit strange, but it is the most aerodynamic iteration. It is the narrowest brake I know of, probably the narrowest brake ever made.
This is a prototype so I can change things. The Slowtwitch forum is the most active triathlon forum and this brake and is supposed to be for you guys. Please tell me your opinions. Target weight is < 300 grams (new Dura-Ace weight), and yes, it stops the bike.
http://www.simkinsdesigns.com/trittbrake.htm
What is the perfect triathlon brake?
What would you change about the brake as pictured?
What is the best weight/aero tradeoff?
What is the best stopping power/aero tradeoff?
Fluff stuff: Colors? Product Names?
What do you guys think?

Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Matt Simkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So people can see your pic:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, new companies and new products are cool.

Your design looks a lot like the Bontrager Speed Limit brakes:

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Last edited by: Red Devil: Jul 9, 09 19:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks cool to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

VERY interesting...and the current iteration looks like it would be a great addition to an aero road bike, but to be honest, I'm more of a fan of a bare cable down the centerline rather than the full housing down to an offset arm, like with an old Hooker brake or my own contraption below.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the perfect triathlon brake?

- Light and aero, but, with stopping power. The weight of a Zero G Ti with the stopping power of a Shimano DA.

- Make it out of carbon or Ti.

What is the best weight/aero tradeoff?

- I will likely get flamed for this, but, really, how much drag can a brake cause in a triathlon bike (TT, more so).

What is the best stopping power/aero tradeoff?

- I would really like it to stop the bike. I love my Zero G's for the bling factor, but, as they say, "Once you go Zero G, you never stop."

Fluff stuff: Colors? Product Names?

- Black. White. Red. In that order. I'm no good with names.

What do you guys think?

- I think it is pretty cool. Interested in seeing where this goes.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Do the center pulls only fit certain bikes or can you use that setup on pretty much any Tri bike?

What is the stopping power like compare to say Dura Ace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is a slick looking design.

can you give us a head on view?

weight - doesn't matter

stopping power - matters a bit

not having to fuss with it much - matters a bit

If you can make it light fine, but not if that makes it super expensive or less aero =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,

BTW - I like the pic of my brake on your web site : )

They are awesome brakes, well made, look great, stop really well and are light.

I really like this new brake! I'd consider buying one for the front brake caliper. What type of pivot is this, double or single? Is it easy to adjust? The adjustment on a Look 596 has to be made with the fork OFF the frame as the caliper mounting bolt is inside the fork/frame interface.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Head on:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light-Aero-Power, working on it. These brakes lean toward aero though.
These are CNC'd so carbon is out. Last I checked, Ti billet in this thickness was going for $1200 per brake. I think Alcoa has a new contract with the Russians for Ti ore, so you never know.

Based on my testing, these brakes are significantly more slippery than other dual pivots, but of course, it is not going to be as noticeable as say drops vs. aero bars. Given what wheels are going for these days, it shouldn’t be a bad drag/buck ratio.
Black, red, or white - noted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are they better than a Campagnolo Record/Super Record or Shimano Dura Ace caliper?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

- Make it out of carbon or Ti.

Ti as a solid is heavier than aluminum and much more expensive. So ti makes no sense there.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damnit man...dont let the facts get in the freaking way of Ti for the sake of Ti, Carbon for the sake of Carbon or even Drillium....

While I think they look cool, I think this is a very uphill road for the OP as 0G has the market on light, and now on light carbon (at any cost). But, you and I are damn hard pressed to find better performance out of any caliper that is even mid grade from Shimano, Campy or SRAM...let alone the DA and Record bits.

Myself, if I was going to get a heavy caliper it would be a C-Record. Heck with the constant squeeling!

Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,
Good to hear from you. I am sure there are not as many cool places to be riding that crazy Look of yours than at the Casa.
These actually build on the brake you have. The basic design is the same but it has been rounded, condensed, and the gaps were closed up. There is a slight increase in leverage. Unfortunately, the brake that I sold you was before I found out how much better Cool Stop pads work, so stopping power was is definitely improved.
The adjustment does not use a 14mm box wrench for this one, instead it has a small hole to lever on. It is hard to from the pic. It does have a barrel adjuster.
Thanks,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at your caliper - have you considered the use of a Campy style barrel as opposed to a threaded? This makes the adjustment a bit easier. I also note that you do not have a tension release (same as Campy) so - I presume that in a road application the Campy Ergo lever is a bonus? (granted, most folks run their pads far to near the rim and I never ever have an issue getting a wheel out of my bikes even with all Campy and not letting the lever out).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Tektro routed for centre pull can go on any bike - uses a standard mount and a CX cable hanger as the cable stop at the top of the headtube. THe braking is not fantastic.

You've got a lot of elements that I've really wanted to see someone incorporate. The only thing missing is the hooker style cable and actuation. Perhaps get hold of a pair of Shimano AX brakes and look at the mechanism.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the prototype is pretty rough, definitely not ready for prime time, yet.

They are not better road brakes than campy or DA, but they are better Tri/TT brakes. Same weight as DA, heavier than Super Record. They are extremely narrow so they will fit under the BB without hitting the crank, and they did have much less drag force than an Ultegra Dual pivot. No testing with DA and Super Record, that stuff is really pricey. However, I doubt the DA and Record are much different from Ultegra.

Are DA and Record good enough for TT? Does this look overly niche?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried the Hookers. Not the best stoppers, but I didn't get the chance to test them with drag. Pretty rare brakes.
Never actually seen an AX in person. If anyone has a pair, I would love to check them out in a pic or hear how well they work. Even more rare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing is overly "niche" for the tri folks...but, as a guy who rides a straight Record groupset - finding an "upgrade" is sort of tough. As a guy who knows that "aero" counts for so little to myself and 99.999% of the rest of the tri geeks - Aero may trump weight, but it will never trump cost (for me). Do I think your calipers look nice? Sure as hell I do...but, I will never ever give up an inch on my calipers as I have come to expect 100% performance from them when I need them...I dont want them to be slack, tight, grabby, soft, or anything other than solid...thus..my bikes are all Record calipers, Campy cables, and Campy pads - I know each and every time what I am going to get when I need my brakes.

I had (have Zero Gravity)...they time to time would grab...they are in a drawer as I dont care to have finiky calipers on any of my bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool brake matt.

stopping power is often limited to the function of the brake lever. ZG may work great with SLR levers, but not so much with Dia Compe 188s.

As to the "wish list"

pass EN/French braking standards.

Die-cast/China version so everyone and their brother can have an option other than a 310 for their entry level tri bike.

Brake pad holders have drag too, bolts need to be countersunk, not hanging in the wind outside the arm.

add a quick release and dual pull arrangement where the housing can be run from the bottom and anchored at the top as well as your current set up.

Make any forged molds so you have finish CNC machining so other brands can buy the blank and integrate their needed shape to your design.

Co-branding is your friend. Simkins has a name already, you're current brakes seem to work well, but if you could have the brilliant cannucks put an e on that thing, the sheep would go nuts, same with commander, steve, JC, or other trusted aero guru.

Good luck!

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom,
Do the center pulls only fit certain bikes or can you use that setup on pretty much any Tri bike?

What is the stopping power like compare to say Dura Ace?

The Tektro/Oval brakes mount in a normal brake location using a "pivot plate". The one in the pic is actually sold as a rear brake and I changed the mounting bolt to allow me to use it on the front. Here's a pic from the side that will give you an idea of how it mounts.

Tektro has a newer model that incorporates the center-pull design. The one I modified originally came with a side-pull cable. Here's the newer Tektro (T726R):

Obviously, neither of those brakes is as "smooth" as your brake or the Hookers. If you don't mind me asking, but how have you been testing out the aero drag? I can offer my "field testing" services (as I've outlined in other threads like "Something Borrowed...Something FAST!) if that's something that would interest you :-)

As far as the braking power goes...I find mine to work just fine. It's not dual-pivot "strength", but I find that using KoolStop Salmon pads really improves the braking, especially on aluminum rims. Now then, you have to understand that my everyday brakes on my road racing bike are simple single pivots (Cane Creek 200SLs) with KoolStops...so I'm not exactly one who thinks that being able to lock up my front wheel at any time is a "necessity" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super Dave,
Your post rings a bell, but I can't place it. $310 is very close to the price that I had in mind for the final version (which is still on the drawing board) so we may have talked.
I try to buy American, but with bike parts, Taiwan and China are a given these days, so I here you.

You are correct about sinking the holes, that did actually smoothen the flow.

These brakes were finite element analyzed to death and the brake walls are really on the thin side, no room to safely countersink. Given that, material would be added so recessing would widen the brakes about 1.5 mm on each side, so the brake would be a total of 3mm wider.

The brakes get a little wider, a little heavier, more aero and no doubt stiffer (would probably have a cleaner look too).

Not sure, but an informed observation. Your preference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was referring to Tektro 310, not a $310 brake.

I'd accept 1.5mm wider to make it faster (if that was the end result)

Another idea, why not change the pitch on the barrell adjuster to a sqaure thread with more aggressive thread pitch? Why .8 or 1.0mm? Why not 1.5? I mean who needs that small of an adjustment? I wish that a half turn made a significant difference when I'm swapping wheels, or descending a long wet mountainside.

Just a thoought, I've got a few other ideas too, but I'm saving those for another brake...

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Thanks for your picture. I used to run the 200SLs myself, and had stronger hands to boot. The think nice about the Ovals is the width. When folks mount them under the BB is there a bracket then for the center pull cable?

I actually was not able to get full wind tunnel testing. A rider can have a huge impact on the results just by changing the curve in the back. The testing used a very small air stream ran across a brake mounted to a fork, no wheel. There are plenty of approximations and assumptions in this approach.
Unlike modeling stress, which is easy with computers, Computational Fluid Dynamics programs turn out to be really tough to set up and I never got anywhere with that. Everything was done with experiments.
The brake-to-brake differences in drag force were much larger than the variation of the test method, so the testing should be valid. It is tempting to publish data on my website, but that kind of thing can open up a can of worms, especially if other products are mentioned by name.
Quote Reply

Prev Next