Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia
Quote | Reply
Xtri world tour family (Norseman, Swissman etc.) is adding a new race in Chilean Patagonia in 2018. Point to point iron distance starting from a ferry and fiord swim, scenic ride in the Andes and 42k trail run. 300 participants only, lottery application opening in december 2017. I have tried to race Norseman in the last couple of years but I had no luck at the lottery. It is great to see more of these races, I love the format. Small event, great landscapes. Adding the links I found on the web. Looks pretty epic!
http://www.patagonman.com/index.html
https://vimeo.com/216223705

Insta @trilorikeet
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [PierreL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pierre, could you please be honest with your first post?
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Herbert. So glad to talk to you, I am a total fan of your interviews and pics!!! OK, you caught me. I live in Chile and since the Ironman community here is pretty tight knit I am obviously trying to bring some attention to this race, and I will certainly try and participate in this event next year. I hope there is nothing dishonnest about that. Hope to see you there, you can take pictures of my bike hahaha.

Insta @trilorikeet
Last edited by: PierreL: Nov 29, 17 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Xtri Prospect Race"? Hmmmm.

I like the formats of these races, but the branding is a bit off-putting.

Welcome to the new restaurant McGonia, home of the BigProspectMac.
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. Taking a quick look at the Xtri FB page, there are a few ā€œprospectā€ races, like CanadaMan for instance. I assume if they prove tasty enough, these events get to sell the real BigMac at some point. Anyway, expanding on the format, this is probably what appeals the most to me after spending a couple of years chasing IM PBs and going to Kona. This, and setting a marathon PB, to keep the Garmin working šŸ˜ I guess I will continue applying to the lottery... šŸ¤žšŸ¼

Insta @trilorikeet
Last edited by: PierreL: Nov 30, 17 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it looks like a great race and experience, and Iā€™m seriously considering signing up for the race. I guess it also is a great way to extend the season after Kona and of course to see a new and exiting part of the world.

Instagram and Strava: @lpstormo
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!
My name is Ignacio and I'm part of the organization of PATAGONMAN.

First of all I would like to thank you everyone for taking the time to talk about this race.

Regarding the branding I would like to explain that all these races are part of the same circuit, the Xtri World Tour started by Norseman, Celtman and Swissman. That's the reason for the name, Alaskaman, Canadaman, Patagonman, etc. And about the "prospect" label, it's just to point out that it's their first edition. The circuit finds new races that they feel are attractive to their calendar and they label them "prospect races" for the first edition and after that they become official races.
This doesn't mean that we are not putting the best of ourselves to deliver one of the best triathlon races ever. We really have a great place, course and set put so we are hoping to give a race no other!

PierreL, Herbert, fishgo and Stormo, it would be great to have you all in the race! So I invite you to apply on Dec 13th, 2017 for the PATAGONMAN lottery.

All the best,
Ignacio
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [IgnacioV.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, first post but this really caught my eye. A Southern Hemisphere XTRI race, in Patagonia!! Sounds pretty awesome to me, Iā€™ll happily leave the dark and rain of the UK LakeDistrict in December for a race here.

No course details yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IgnacioV. wrote:
Hi!
My name is Ignacio and I'm part of the organization of PATAGONMAN.

First of all I would like to thank you everyone for taking the time to talk about this race.

Regarding the branding I would like to explain that all these races are part of the same circuit, the Xtri World Tour started by Norseman, Celtman and Swissman. That's the reason for the name, Alaskaman, Canadaman, Patagonman, etc. And about the "prospect" label, it's just to point out that it's their first edition. The circuit finds new races that they feel are attractive to their calendar and they label them "prospect races" for the first edition and after that they become official races.
This doesn't mean that we are not putting the best of ourselves to deliver one of the best triathlon races ever. We really have a great place, course and set put so we are hoping to give a race no other!

PierreL, Herbert, fishgo and Stormo, it would be great to have you all in the race! So I invite you to apply on Dec 13th, 2017 for the PATAGONMAN lottery.

All the best,
Ignacio

my wife and i really tried to do THIS event this year. we just couldn't make it happen, but i've been on one of willy's adventures in morocco, in the atlas mountains, and willy does it right.

i think a race in patagonia would be fantastic. i can't do these long races anymore. but if i was younger, you bet. this would be right up my alley. please keep me, and us, (and herbert!) in the loop. our chief tech officer (jordan rapp) raced norseman this past year, along with stormo and the rest of the gang, and we've had dag oliver over to speak at our annual industry conference (the TBI conference). we love xtreme tri! we think this is the heart and spirit of triathlon. best of luck, and i'd be shocked if slowtwitch isn't the source of many of your entry applications, knowing how our readers feel about xtreme tri events.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ignacio,

This is great news. I am humbled by having the opportunity to write my enthusiasm in the same forum where legends like Dan Empfield and Lars Peter Stormo are writing.

Norseman became a milestone and life experience for me and my wife (support crew). We were unable to leave the Xtri Concept after enjoying the journey that lead us to the competition, the new people that came to our lives, the race, the experience... so we went to race CanadaMan which again became an awesome journey.

Look forward to the 13th of December

Pharis
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [TriLorikeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost enough to make me want to run more than 10km. Almost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ignacio - any other details on the ride and run you can share - mainly thinking what the profile looks like? Having done both Celtman and Norseman in the last couple of years, this is a location that I'd definitely like to race in. With the support runner, do you have a view as to how much of the course the support runner will need to do? For Celtman it's around 16kms whereas for Norseman it's only 5kms - helps work out how fit the runner needs to be :)
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your kind words.

That event looks incredible, I have been many times in those places and they are absolutely gorgeous... I will talk to my wife about it! It could be a great way to continue the travel south after PATAGONMAN next year.

I would love to keep you and Herbert informed about the race, can I have any contact details of yours? I could send you the press kit in case that's interesting for you.

We are really moved by the idea of the physical and mental challenge of this kind of races mixed with the feeling of wilderness where they can be done. I met Dag Oliver this past year in Norseman (I travel there to see the race with my own eyes, to talk about Xtri and to meet the crew) and saw Jordan Rapp putting out a great race (didn't want to bother him talking about our race). When I came back I had a deep conversation about it with Cristian Bustos (quite a tri legend and personal idol) and together we understood that race we had been organizing was the perfect match for the Xtri Tour. That's Cristian words are frame in our website homepage: "This is a race that keeps the spirit of the sport alive, same as it was at the very beginning".

Please feel welcome if you decide to come down south to explore the area at any time!

Ignacio
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [trimel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi trimel,
HereĀ“s some info that can help.
The distance is the same as an ā€œIronmanā€, so 3.8 km swim, 180 km bike and 42.2 km run. However, the difference here is the point-to-point course in Patagonia, in a unique surrounding and extreme conditions. The swim leg of the race starts with the jump from a ferry boat into the icy-cold waters of the AyseĢn Fjord (10-12Ā°C), then to swim back to Puerto Chacabuco. The cycling leg of the race will roll on the only 180 km of the Carretera Austral that have actual pavement, all the way to Cerro Castillo, and it will finish with a marathon through dirt trail and rubble road following the IbaĢnĢƒez River through forest, next to beautiful lakes and waterfalls all the way to the General Carrera Lake.

Each competitor is required to show up with a support person who will assist them throughout the race. This companion will be transported by the organization from T1 to two different points along the bike course, then to T2 and finally to two different points along the running course. From this last place (Km 28) the support will be allowed to join their athlete running together to the finish line. Besides this support, there will be only two supply stations. One in the cycling part (Km 90) and other one in the running part (Km 21).

There are only 300 slots for athletes. The enrollment will begin on December 13th, 2017 and will close on the 31st of the same month. However, this is not a first-come, first-served event. During that period, anyone can buy a lottery ticket to have the option to participate in the event. That ticket cost $10 USD and the total amount collected from this process will go to charity. After that period, there will be a lottery for all who participate in the enrollment process and the 300 lucky winners will be selected and notified by email. They will have one week to confirm and pay their registration. Registration cost $690 USD. If after those seven days the payment is not completed, the slot will roll to another athlete.

We will post more info about the route during the week on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10-12 C is really cold. I think Norseman is 14-15 C no? I think it would be better to put the swim in a lake.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi len,

We have compare it to Alaskaman and other Xtri races and we are good to go. Also, we did the swim at that temperature and found out that's very doable. Cold, extreme, but doable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, Celtman is around 10-11c plus there's lots of jelly fishes :). Coldest water I've ever swum in, lasted 2 mins in the warm up the day before! On the day just covered every bit of bare skin with a thick layer of vaseline and I was good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a very cool race. I like the format alot. Transporting the support person to various spots is a great idea. I really like the idea of support packages at various levels as well. For North Americans it is a great race too as time zones are not a big issue.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!! That's amazing...an Extreme Tri so close to my homeland (Brasil)... it will definetly be one of the main tri events of the region...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The Extreme Triathlon of the End of the World"? Do you know something about 2018 that I don't?

It looks seriously awesome!

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [Darkwing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ignacio V.,
This looks very intriguing.
I was down at the Patagonian Adventure Race back in 2016 and this season will be working outside Concepcion from mid December-March.
Will stay tuned to see how this all turns out.
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [Hueychief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeff,
That Patagonia Adventure Race is quite amazing, congrats!
Our race is on December 9th, 2018.
And registrations for the lottery will take place on December 2017, from 13th to 31st.
Hopefully we'll see your name there and maybe we even get to see you at the starting ferryboat in 2018
Best,
Ignacio
Quote Reply
Re: New "Xtri" iron distance race in Patagonia [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowman!

I just wanted to keep you and Herbert in the loop...
We opened the lottery registrations 4 days ago and the response of the people have been great! We have far more applications than what we expected and they are from more than 30 different countries (we find that really cool).

Do you think Jordan would be interested in racing here at Patagonman?

We have confirmed Allan Hovda, Andrew Fast, Chris Stirling... and there are a couple more on the list. The cool thing is that we will have many big names of the Xtri, actually many winner of Celtman, Alaskaman, Canadaman, Swissman and Norseman, all racing together for first time in the same race...

Please let me know your thoughts and thank you for your support!

Ignacio Valdivieso
PATAGONMAN XTRI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race is gaining some nice reputation in the xtreme tri world, eager to see how this turns out
All the best with the lottery
Quote Reply

Prev Next