Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neutral sockless shoe
Quote | Reply
Tired of losing seconds in T2 trying to put socks. I run in Nike free for Oly's and Pegasus for 70.3 and up. What's a good sockless option similar to those?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Neutral sockless shoe [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asics Hyper Tri
Quote Reply
Re: Neutral sockless shoe [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't make those any more. Might be able to find some on Amazon. Zoot has some good options and Asics has the noosa ff but that's more of a trainer/racing flat combo. Fairly close to the Nike free now that I think of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the shoes I have tried, Newton Tri Racer are my favourite

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Neutral sockless shoe [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the Zoot and Asics compare size wise? I wear 11 in Nike.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a zoot ultra tt 7.0, the Asics hyper tri, and the Asics noosa ff. They all fit me pretty much the same, 10.5 for each. I run sockless exclusively in the zoot and the hyper tri, they fit a little tight with socks but are great without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some of the shoes I can remember my athletes going sockless in for races this and last season:

Asics DS trainers, DS racers
Hoka tracers
Adidas Boston, Adios
Saucony Kinvara
Nike Zoom streak, Flyknit

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Neutral sockless shoe [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Asics Hyper Tri

I run in the Hyper-speeds, virtually the same shoe. We don't get the hyper-tris in Australia for some reason. I've only run sockless in up to OD, not for a 70.3 yet, worried about getting blisters, but haven't had them yet, so will probably give in a go next 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure about the sizing, but all of my running shoes are 8.5 (I'm a short arse)
The pair of Zoot tt 7 I bought I think were 8.5 and a little tight
I hated those things, they were very sweaty and had too much of a heel for me, they weren't particularly easy to get on with wet feet and the lace locking was crap

recently I bough a pair of vivobarefoot swim run shoes thinking I would use those for short course triathlons, but they are really heavy and nowhere near as good as the newtons

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Neutral sockless shoe [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Don't make those any more. Might be able to find some on Amazon. Zoot has some good options and Asics has the noosa ff but that's more of a trainer/racing flat combo. Fairly close to the Nike free now that I think of it.

I didn't know that :(

I just bought 2 pairs online so I'll have some to wear for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Free:

NB Zante
NB Vazee Pace
Saucony Kinvara
On Cloud

Nike Pegasus
Too many to chose from.

If you tell me where on your feet you are having the troubles it would be easier.

The main issues any athlete will have with blisters going sockless:
1. Fit - You have to fit your shoes to your barefoot. If you fit your shoes to your foot and a sock, as soon as you remove the sock the fit will be off.
2. Internal Construction - I race in the Nike Streak which might work for you. There is a loose cage in the shoe that causes all kind of problems putting the shoe on and rubbing. I cut the cage out. The point is there are some internal construction that again you have to test your bare foot against. Some of it you will have to decide on because you can't do anything about it and some of it you can remove.
3. Moisture - If the shoe doesn't breath well and doesn't drain well it's not going to go well in a race. The Pegasus is a great example. The breathability in that shoe is subpar so the moisture will just sit.

By all means don't try to do this on line. Go to a running store and try all the shoes on. Ask to try all the shoes on sockless. If they say no, go to a different store. Don't accept even an ultra thin sock. You won't be able to feel the shoe with a sock on. You have to be able to do that to determine right away if the shoe might work, or won't work at all.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NB 1400 is a nice neutral sockless option.
Quote Reply