Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need wisdom on upgrading older bike: specifically BB
Quote | Reply
Have an older specialized 9spd that I'd like to upgrade to a 10spd with some spare and parts.

Question is this: Is it difficult or even possible to upgrade the BB? I'm not sure how compatible the older frames are.
It has a Shimano Octalink spine and 68mm shell. My spare crankset is BB30.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Need wisdom on upgrading older bike: specifically BB [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, you can not use a bb30 crank on that frame. but you can go from octalink to Gxp or shimano hollowtech, giving you plenty of 10spd options.
Quote Reply
Re: Need wisdom on upgrading older bike: specifically BB [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your frame has a threaded bottom bracket shell so you can use any threaded system like square taper, Octalink (an excellent choice) or the external cup hollowtech plus others by sram, campy, etc.

The Hollowtech is a decent system and inexpensive to find. Be aware that there are English and Italian threaded frames and that some use left hand threads on one side

You can't "upgrade" to BB30, but that's a plus in my book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a Rotor or SRAM S900 crank which have a longer spindle you can use Rotor's English->BB30 bottom bracket.

I use it in a BMC SL01, works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to know, thanks for the help!
Quote Reply