Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe
Quote | Reply
So I've used the Hoka Clifton 2s. BUT the narrower toe box is causing blisters on medial great toe and the insole that moves ( I took it out) and got forefoot bilsters, I need a recommendation for something with wider toe box. Kinda thinking of getting away from the Hokas due to the crappy insoles that slide around. Thoughts?

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Altra The One 2.5 or Instinct 3.0 if you want more cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the Altra line a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Altra. Besides being 0 drop their big selling feature is having a wide toe box. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that is wide toe box and more drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics

Quote | Reply
INOV-8's have a wide toe box and have several models with some good padding. Merrell would be my other suggestion for a wide toebox but are very minimal for padding.
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Altra do you recommend. Is Lone Peak good?

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've liked Hoka's, then likely the Torin or Paradigm would be the first place to look.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in Hoka Conquest, heavier (~11oz) and firmer and are about at the end of life. I also recently had a Morton's Neuroma removed and Doc said I need a wider shoe, so I'm looking around too for a wider toe box & cushioned shoe. I tried the Torin 2.0 and it was felt too firm for me, wanted a softer feel. I have a pair of Paradigms on the way to try.

I tried on a pair of Sketcher Go Run Ultra's at the mall. They felt roomy and soft and lighter than the Conquests and rolled nice on the treadmill, but seems sole durability is questionable based online reviews. The Go Run Ultra Road is supposed to have better sole durability but adds weight and $.

All of these will weight ~2 oz more than the Clifton's.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give the Saucony Triumphs a try. 8mm drop with lots of cushion and a wide toe box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topo Tribute is zero drop, cushioned with a wide toe box, but still fairly light and fast. I've been happy with mine so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Topo Tribute is zero drop, cushioned with a wide toe box, but still fairly light and fast. I've been happy with mine so far.
I guess "cushioned" is all relative but the Tribute is not even considered their cushioned shoe, that's the Magnifly!

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go with the Altra watch the sizing. I found they run a little big and you feel lost in them. Sized down a 1/2 and they are great.

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/paradigm15

Last edited by: s.gentz: Nov 16, 15 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not Hoka level cushioning but I'm really liking the New Balance 870v4 right now. Cushioned and stable- really helped with PF and Achilles issues I was having. They hug the heel and mid foot fairly snug yet have a lot of forefoot room...at least for me:)
Last edited by: Torrent: Nov 16, 15 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Pureflows!
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Brooks Pureflows!
YES! x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skora tempo. Just love them

They are "lightly" cushioned like you said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lone Peak is a trail running shoe. The only way to know which Altra might be good is for you to try them on. Personally, I run in the Paradigm on the road and the Olympus on the trails. I also liked Hoka's (ran in the Clifton briefly) but need the wide toe box so made the switch to Altra.
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmacandcheese wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
I guess "cushioned" is all relative but the Tribute is not even considered their cushioned shoe, that's the Magnifly!

I know, for some reason I assumed the OP was looking for zero drop. I haven't worn the Magnifly's but if they fit like the Tributes then they're probably a good option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lone Peak is a trail shoe. If you're looking for that, its a great shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Need rec for wide toe box/light cushioned shoe [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
Skora tempo. Just love them

They are "lightly" cushioned like you said

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Kyle @ SKORA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a pair of Altra Paradigms and so far they are a near perfect shoe. Very wide toe box, max cushioning and 2oz lighter than the Hoka Conquests I was using. With 0 miles in them I ran a Turkey Trot 5k without any issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
So I've used the Hoka Clifton 2s. BUT the narrower toe box is causing blisters on medial great toe and the insole that moves ( I took it out) and got forefoot bilsters, I need a recommendation for something with wider toe box. Kinda thinking of getting away from the Hokas due to the crappy insoles that slide around. Thoughts?

What size? I have a pair of new Altra Paradigm in Men's 10.5 for sale in the classifieds and I am in Kansas for quick delivery.

Quote | Reply
A good resource to check out is Road Runner Sports. You can categorize shoes by seize, width, ( motion control, stability, neutral ) brand and cushion level.
Quote Reply