Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need nutrition help
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

I really need help with nutrition. During my training, I execute my nutrition plan as follows:

1) 1 GU every 20 min
2) 2 20oz bottles of hydration an hour. One has a Nuun tablet.
3) 1 salt pill an hour

In training, I can go for 100mile rides and run strong off the bike with the above for an hour plus a bit. But on race day, my gut is just crazy and I don't feel like I am absorbing things.

2 questions:

1) How did you dial in your nutrition? I want to "nail" my nutrition.
2) Does anyone do nutrition "coaching"?

Note on 70.3s, the above works great for me.

I am sure there is some post in the way back machine that covers this, but newer data would be helpful.

Thanks,
Todd

Quote | Reply
What’s your height and weight?

2 hrs a bottle can’t be a lot depending on temps and size. I have helped folks and can help if like. Shoot PM
Quote Reply
Re: Need nutrition help [toddm72478] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a lot of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Need nutrition help [toddm72478] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On race day, your HR is higher and you're trying harder, and that puts more blood to your muscles than to your stomach compared to your training days. Less blood at the stomach = you can't digest food anywhere near as well.

You can test this by going zone 3 and 4 in the middle of your training rides and you'll see that digestion shuts down and you'll start burping up what you are taking in. But then you say, "Oh, but ZenTriBrett, I do go for those efforts in that training and I don't have that problem as much as I do in races." To which I will remind you that your training rides are also riddled with easy efforts and even stopping, which allows your fueling to catch back up. Your races do not have these pauses.

Either eat less, or go slower, or coast the downhills without pedaling. Or a combo of all these. I personally prefer coasting more on the downhills.

BTW, caffeine raises HR and retards digestion, so taking more on race day will also give you worse digestion results than in training.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Dec 8, 17 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Need nutrition help [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'8'' and 135-138 on race day.

Thanks for the tips so far.
Quote Reply