Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through..
Quote | Reply
Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through. Torx head would be OK. I see extralite has some hollow bolts, but can't tell if the hole passes all the way through and if I could squeeze 3 etubes cables through. The trick is getting the etube head through..... a bolt with a split side?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through.. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McMaster sells vented M5 bolts (designed to alleviate pressure): https://www.mcmaster.com/#93235A336

I doubt the venting hole is large enough to allow THREE etubes through, but with the equivalent of a pilot hole already drilled, it should be pretty easy to bore them out on a lathe (how I'd do it) to the diameter you need.

But ultimately, I bet you'll need to do some relatively extensive machining on whatever you choose.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through.. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
much appreciated. That would be some work and very cool.... think I'll look for another etube routing option.

Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through.. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe three through the hole without a bolt in it if you strip the cable sheathing off and run the individual wires. Proabably well almost certainly will have to cut the end plug off and re-solder
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through.. [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice. I've tried, but I can't find an image from the TdF in past years where I saw this done by one of the teams.

Helping a friend with a Giant Propel. Would like to mount the junction box like in the image below without drilling the frame. The wires coming out of the lower seattube waterbottle cage bolt seemed like an option, but may just not be in the cards:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't bet that that even in some of the cases where it appears to be coming out of an un-modified frame that it might not be the case.

E.g.:

- they could have removed the nutsert, drilled a bigger hole, and then run the wires through something like an drilled out M8 bolt. It'd be hard to pick that up simply from a picture.

- they might have drilled a hole right next to the nutsert hole for the water bottle boss. Again, this could be hard to tell once the bottle was mounted, but if you make the assumption that holes in that area are generally structurally sound, then drilling a third hole in that area to route the wires through would seem to be a logical choice

I've never worked with a Di2 wiring harness, but I'm having a hard time reconciling how you'd route three wires through an m5 bolt. Even when I did an internal wiring job on my old SRM and replaced the stock SRM wiring with some super-slender special wire that we had at the race shop where I worked for race car wiring harnesses (so extremely high quality), I still can't imagine running *three* of those wires through a hole that would likely, at most, be 3mm in diameter.

If only there were some sort of electronic groupset that didn't require wires... Wink

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding: hollow M5 (waterbottle cage) bolt that can pass 3 Di2 etubes through.. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, re-looking at it, 3 wires just isn't going to happen.

selling my DA Di2 to a friend, so not in my best interest to sell him on eTap!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put another B-Junction inside the Frame & run a single Wire through the hole (if you find a M5 Bolt solution). Put dummy plugs in the unused ports.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
etube wires are 2.6mm diameter. So you could possibly drill out an M5 to fit one, but would have to splice the wire as the plug is not going to fit through. Would probably be easiest to get your friend on to some bars that can fit RS910 junction - then everything is tidy and you don't have to be so creative
Quote Reply