Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help: bike selection
Quote | Reply
Background: raced triathlon years back, late teens/early 20s, top 5% AG.
Fitness level currently: 18:30 5k, OW 1.2mile swim @ 30min flat, Bike slooow over all (this is the issue and why I am posting)

I am unsure if I should go for a higher end road bike or, entry level tri bike, again. I was looking into the Cervelo S2 to get some solid base riding in for a year or two while I finish grad school/CPA. My hopes would be to get back into racing in the next few years and really delve into cycling now.

Does a TT bike seem a bit outlandish for the period I am in? I am leaning towards the road bike only for gratification in the comfort, stability and being able to really settle into rides I plan on getting into. Don't get me wrong, a TT bike with a solid fit pays dividends in the power sector with all things being equal, however a roadie I think will motivate me more to get out there to get back into the racing scene.

I really appreciate your feedback all!

MRBACCOUNTING.COM - Accounting, Tax and Advisory Services

...former DII XC
Quote Reply
Re: Need help: bike selection [mbiggin08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am similar-ish, but also a lot slower than you...

I raced bikes at a high level in my late teens/early 20s, and I did triathlons for fun. I totally got out of biking and swimming for 20+ years. Last year, I jumped back in and did a HIM for my first race in at least 20 years. I was originally planning to just ride on my 80s vintage road bike for a one-and-done HIM, but then I got hooked and decided to get all in. I bought a tri bike. My reasoning was that if I was going to spend that much time training and then racing on the bike leg, I wanted to maximize the value of my effort. I am so glad that I bought a TT bike.

Fast forward a year, and I just built a modern road bike to do the fun and frivolous riding. I did it on a budget using mostly used parts that I had or could buy inexpensively. I splurged a bit on the frame, but I love it.

One big difference from my training in my youth is that I am doing almost all of my bike training indoors on a trainer. If I was riding mostly outside, I would probably prefer a road bike. But, since I only got out one or two weekends/month for tri-specific workouts, I was happy with the TT bike selection.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help: bike selection [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really appreciate your feedback and anecdotal evidence. I realize I need to motivate myself to get out on the bike more often so that's why I was headed towards a Cervelo S2 or BMC time machine. Where as the TT bike I think I'll just feel bad I'm not racing in the present. I love the feel of the road bike but I'll have to talk with my LBS this weekend to get the down and dirty on their opinions.

...former DII XC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a very similar situation, about the same pacing as well (I'm not weak on the bike but around a 19-19:30 run.) Just finished grad school in Dec. and sitting for the CPA exams now, about to start work. Last year, I opted for a Felt IA and I have an old 8-speed road bike.

I also do almost all of my training indoors, so I spend most of my time on the Felt in the race position. All my bricks are done running off of the Tri bike. I only do group rides or ride outside once or twice a month. I probably wouldn't be cycling if it weren't for triathlon, so my bike choice reflected that.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbiggin08 wrote:
Background: raced triathlon years back, late teens/early 20s, top 5% AG.
Fitness level currently: 18:30 5k, OW 1.2mile swim @ 30min flat, Bike slooow over all (this is the issue and why I am posting)

I am unsure if I should go for a higher end road bike or, entry level tri bike, again. I was looking into the Cervelo S2 to get some solid base riding in for a year or two while I finish grad school/CPA. My hopes would be to get back into racing in the next few years and really delve into cycling now.

Does a TT bike seem a bit outlandish for the period I am in? I am leaning towards the road bike only for gratification in the comfort, stability and being able to really settle into rides I plan on getting into. Don't get me wrong, a TT bike with a solid fit pays dividends in the power sector with all things being equal, however a roadie I think will motivate me more to get out there to get back into the racing scene.

I really appreciate your feedback all!

I'd vote Tri bike. Even many entry level bikes are quite good now, and at least to me are quite comfy. You're fast enough that if you get the bike dialed in and properly trained, you should be near podium in local races with those swim/run splits. Not outlandish.
That said, if you want the road bike and it'll get you to ride more, BECAUSE IT'S WHAT YOU WANT, then go for it! -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a road bike. That way you can still ride it after you remember how much the tri life sucks...
Quote Reply
Re: Need help: bike selection [atgnat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha thanks for the replies d00dz! Really needed to hear this from a sample audience of S/T'rs.

...former DII XC
Quote Reply
Re: Need help: bike selection [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Brent...yeah buddy, you got it going for ya man. I would be hoping after grad school/CPA is finished I'd be able to more than likely afford the bikes I want and do the racing I want.

...former DII XC
Quote Reply