Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need advise for Ironman Cairns
Quote | Reply
I will do Full distance in Cairns this year. It will be my first time there.

Any tips or advise for this course?

I had disc wheel, should I use on this course because not sure about how strong the wind will be but saw many people use it in Youtube.

Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [UnUnU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use the disc unless it is super windy.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a disc there in 2014. Was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the half this year never been. Is it hilly or just a small portion? Keep in mind any graduate rise I go to shit so be honest haha
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one hill from memory. not too bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool happy days- if I can navigate the crocs, jellys and bull sharks then it's a win
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [UnUnU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UnUnU wrote:

I had disc wheel, should I use on this course because not sure about how strong the wind will be but saw many people use it in Youtube.

Thank you!!

Course is quite sheltered by the trees. It's basically a straight headwind/tailwind. The wind can be quite strong, but it's not going to affect handling. It is just either really fast (or slow).

Be prepared for potentially very rough swim.

Be prepared for swimming in a wetsuit in quite warm water; Cairns has jellyfish - and the jellyfish seasons last longer now because of global warming. So you need to wear a wetsuit to protect yourself, but the water can be quite hot - too hot for wetsuits to be allowed normally. Combined with very rough seas last year, this made the swim extremely challenging.

Make sure you have good tires. It has rained every year of this race, and there are a lot of trees on the course, meaning debris gets washed onto the road. Last year was flat city.

Drive the course. Do NOT ride it.

It's a fantastic race. One of these years, they'll have calm seas and blue skies... They have plenty of that before and after! Wink

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for great advises.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advise for Ironman Cairns [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
UnUnU wrote:

Thank you!!

Course is quite sheltered by the trees. It's basically a straight headwind/tailwind. The wind can be quite strong, but it's not going to affect handling. It is just either really fast (or slow).

Be prepared for potentially very rough swim.

Be prepared for swimming in a wetsuit in quite warm water; Cairns has jellyfish - and the jellyfish seasons last longer now because of global warming. So you need to wear a wetsuit to protect yourself, but the water can be quite hot - too hot for wetsuits to be allowed normally. Combined with very rough seas last year, this made the swim extremely challenging.

Make sure you have good tires. It has rained every year of this race, and there are a lot of trees on the course, meaning debris gets washed onto the road. Last year was flat city.

Drive the course. Do NOT ride it.

It's a fantastic race. One of these years, they'll have calm seas and blue skies... They have plenty of that before and after! Wink

Thank a lot rappstar đŸ˜„ , will follow all of your advise.
Quote Reply