Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need advice on buying race wheels
Quote | Reply
I am considering buying race wheels (Zipp- 808 rear and 404 front). I live in CT and tri bike stores are hard to find... does anyone from the Connecticut area know of a good shop I can get these? I tried going direct to Zipp but they told me to go through one of their vendors. If there are no Zipp wheel dealers in CT, can anyone suggest the best way to get them on line (i.e., a good, reputable shop)? I want to make sure I can return them if they don't fit. I have heard the 808 is a very tight fit for my bike, and I'm not sure the clearance is adequate. I know Race day wheels sells used Zipp wheels but I don't think they have a return policy unless they are defective.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on buying race wheels [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can call competitive cyclist. They carry Zipp wheels and could get you both sizes. They also might be able to help with fitment questions'

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bike-wheels?p=brand%3AZipp&nf=1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first suggesting is measure the space you have. The dimensions of the wheels are widely known and if there is a fit issue then do a search here to find out what works and doesn't. Don't guess with the intent to return if they don't work. The wheels aren't cheap to ship around and if you can avoid having to deal with potential restocking fees.

Lots of ways to buy race wheels. New and used. I would rarely consider my LBS as the first place to go to buy them. They are usually not selling them at prices anywhere near what online retailers offer them for. A couple places to look would be Competitive Cyclist, My Bike Shop (https://www.mybikeshop.com), Nashbar, Bike Tires Direct, etc. Friend of mine has used My Bike Shop to buy a used frame and was happy with them. There are a million places that sell them. Otherwise look on Craigslist. Take your bike with you to look at any used wheels and buy them on the spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on buying race wheels [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips. Zipp indicated a 25mm clearance is necessary for the 808, but if I measure my frame myself, where do I take the measurement, and how much clearance is OK (in mm)? Does the amount of clearance matter- can something cause an accident if it gets lodged in a tiny clearance space when I'm going 40 mph?? Or might the wheel rub if it moves just a tiny bit while riding?? Maybe I should bring it in to a reputable bike shop and have them tell me if a 25mm wheel would fit ok? But they will probably tell me to bring in the wheel, which brings me back to the dilemma of whether or not to just get the wheels and try them... also I heard the "set screw" needs to be adjusted just right, but what does that mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy Hed wheels. Cheaper and better wheels...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike? Someone here will be able to tell you if they’ll fit or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on buying race wheels [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Buy Hed wheels. Cheaper and better wheels...

This. There really is no advantage to Zipps.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on buying race wheels [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike is an Argon 18 112E (2012)
Quote Reply