Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a faster helmet for TT's
Quote | Reply
So ... over the last two time trials I've noticed that when I drop my head (raising the tail off my back) I'm faster than when I keep my head up a little (tail on my back), usually around .5 mph - .7 mph difference. I'm guessing this is indicating that the Bell Javelin is not the best helmet for me or my position. Granted, I could just keep my head down, which I did today ... but I'm looking to get as much speed as possible (working on my legs, averaged 321 watts today over 40k ... should be up to 340 or so by mid June).

I also know that the Bell Javelin has been average in the wind tunnel and that helmets are very dependent on the rider/position ... so I'm calling on the collective wisdom of Slowtwitch to make suggestions around a new helmet. I do this because I don't have access to a wind tunnel and some of you might have some experience with positions and helmets.

You can see my current position in the attachments (hopefully they attach to the post).

I'd consider any TT helmet, but have been looking at the POC Cerebral, Giro Aerohead, Kask Bambino ... or maybe going longer tail with something like the Lazar Wasp.

I have no problem holding my position over a 40k ITT.

So ... what sayeth the Slowtwich community?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a faster helmet for TT's [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like my Specialized S-Works TT helmet, and it would take me going to a wind tunnel or ERO Sports for testing before I'd buy a different helmet. There must be a lot of ST readers at the ROTD today as I saw many people using the Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has seen the same thing field testing, I'd ask why not ride with your head down a bit as much as possible?

That could be the fastest helmet for you no matter how you hold your head.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your head position looks really solid (good turtleing, helmet meshes well with your back). The 0.5-0.7mph sounds unreasonably large, are you sure your watts aren't changing, or the head dropping isn't changing another aspect of your position (ex. arching your back more).

For a dropped head position, the Octal does reasonably well, but as you noted results are highly individual.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Need a faster helmet for TT's [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Your head position looks really solid (good turtleing, helmet meshes well with your back). The 0.5-0.7mph sounds unreasonably large, are you sure your watts aren't changing, or the head dropping isn't changing another aspect of your position (ex. arching your back more).

I don't think it's changing my power ... see attached power profile ... nor do I think it's rounding my back any. I notice it simply by dropping my head, and if I want, I can race with my shield on my forearms, but that tends to smear the shield a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're faster when you shrug? Pretty normal dude. The Javelin is still a good lid and is fastest for many people out there, so without testing there is no definitive answer (and it's just as likely that a recommendation will raise your CdA).

If you want free speed without testing, tape the vents on your current lid.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a faster helmet for TT's [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
So you're faster when you shrug? Pretty normal dude. The Javelin is still a good lid and is fastest for many people out there, so without testing there is no definitive answer (and it's just as likely that a recommendation will raise your CdA).

If you want free speed without testing, tape the vents on your current lid.

I'm always in a "Shrug" position ... it's just a matter of changing my head position from looking down the road ... to ... looking down. That's what is suggesting that the Javelin isn't really working for me.

I know it's hard to say without a wind tunnel ... and the realistic gains from a helmet that works better over 40k is probably somewhere between 5-10 seconds. However, that's pretty cheap/easy speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way to make a decision without testing. -You don't need a wind tunnel to do testing.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
search the forums for the "platypus thread". You will find the info you need on field testing there. As SlippenKitten mentioned, you do not need a wind tunnel to do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
So ... over the last two time trials I've noticed that when I drop my head (raising the tail off my back) I'm faster than when I keep my head up a little (tail on my back), usually around .5 mph - .7 mph difference. I'm guessing this is indicating that the Bell Javelin is not the best helmet for me or my position. Granted, I could just keep my head down, which I did today ... but I'm looking to get as much speed as possible (working on my legs, averaged 321 watts today over 40k ... should be up to 340 or so by mid June).

I also know that the Bell Javelin has been average in the wind tunnel and that helmets are very dependent on the rider/position ... so I'm calling on the collective wisdom of Slowtwitch to make suggestions around a new helmet. I do this because I don't have access to a wind tunnel and some of you might have some experience with positions and helmets.

You can see my current position in the attachments (hopefully they attach to the post).

I'd consider any TT helmet, but have been looking at the POC Cerebral, Giro Aerohead, Kask Bambino ... or maybe going longer tail with something like the Lazar Wasp.

I have no problem holding my position over a 40k ITT.

So ... what sayeth the Slowtwich community?

I've tested the older Bell Javelin, the Giro Advantage tested faster, on me.

Fastest helmet I've tested is the LG Rocket and LG P-09.

Quote Reply