Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I was hoping that you can help me identify a treadmill with a serial port input for a project I am doing, often a RS232 connection near the power switch/reset. If anyone has these models to check that would be great. Any others models would be appreciated, I know the Woodway Desmo has it; but it is cost prohibitive. I am also looking at wireless connection, but it appears most of them have closed interfaces.

NordicTrack Commercial 1750
ProForm PRO 2000
Sole F80 (Folding)
LifeSpan TR5000i

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nordic Track is a no; wireless only (appears closed).
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to see on my Sole F83.

Quote | Reply
My NordicTrac has their iFit system that is currently wireless but I know they used to work with an SD card. I've been looking to get one of these old iFit cartridges to upload my DIY workouts. Might be hackable.
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, looking into their application interface to see if if can be hacked (appears closed). I believe the iFit does have some controlling features for the treadmill along with data out. I am looking for interfacing to the controls; speed, incline.... through an alternative application. I have done it on high end medical grade treadmill through a RS232 port, but looking to do it on a lower end model, but can't seem to find one with a port for under $1500. I understand there is little motivation for them to have it, but I am fishing nonetheless. I think the wireless controls will become more commonplace and open application interfaces and apps will follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your tread caught my eye. Do you think it's possible to create an ANT+ via the serial port?

I bought a used Desmo S 6 years ago for $2500. It is awesome and I do much of my winter run training on the Woodway. As you mention the Woodway Desmo S has a serial port on the control board. I would love to create a device to plug into the serial port which would transmit an ANT+ signal from the Woodway so I can record speed and elevation data directly from the treadmill. I don't possess the technical skills to create this.

Thoughts? Is it possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup; with some work. Wireless adaptor in RS232 port; analytics on communication; write some code.... Or I believe Woodway has a treadmill control software package that takes in data as well (no experience with it), although the wireless piece is another step to manage.

I am not an expert here either, but it is technically doable on that treadmill as I have looked at the I/O from the RS232 and everything is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am looking for interfacing to the controls; speed, incline.... through an alternative application.

rather than taking the RS232 route into the microcontroller, what if you were to intercept the input signals instead? my Sole F63 has speed & incline controls on the side hand-holds, with easily detached harness connectors. that could be a start. if the controls on yours are integral to the circuit board/display panel, then you'll have a little more work to do. I don't have a schematic, so I don't know if these inputs are serial data (eg I2C) or simple open/closed switches.

the treadmill microcontroller doesn't know if the commanded speed / incline signals are coming from the switches or from your microcontroller. all you need to do is send the inputs and let the hardware on the control board do the rest.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Last edited by: ttocsmi: Jan 27, 15 4:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the LifeSpan TR4000i. I will check when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep us posted on your progress. It's ridiculous that this need hasn't been met yet (allowing treadmills to sync via ANT+, interacting with apps, and even downloading workouts is still antiquated in most cases).

Running with an very inaccurate footpod on a treadmill is getting old, and I'd love hear what you find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have checked this already, sorry.

Maybe the csafe protocol is more fruitful, I think most treadmills use it through the rj45 port.

Netathlon at one point ran through the csafe port for their treadmill application.

Looks like some of the old pages are gone, archive.org should help you be able to get the old pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...or_Fitness_Equipment
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's ridiculous that this need hasn't been met yet

it's because this technology is still "new" to the treadmill industry and there's still lots of $ to be made. some of the high-end treadmills I looked at had this functionality via the iFit program (even google street view). pay extra for the fancy feature on the treadmill then pay extra for an iFit subscription. I don't believe that the iFit communication protocol is open-sourced, so you won't likely see a Trainer Road / kickr app any time soon.

(although it wouldn't surprise me if the folks at TR are presently researching this idea)

it's a little more complicated than sniffing the RS232 data between your computer and the Computrainer controller.

Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that could definitely be done on the control side, but was looking for a slightly more elegant solution and would also like to get data back out to close the loop with the controls apllication; preferably wirelessly. I can easily convert a serial port.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unless you're a glutton for punishment, there's no need for your application to be a closed loop system.

the manufacturers have already done this for you & tested it out: send commands to incline motor to go up, monitor feedback for current position, stop sending incline motor control signals when the desired incline is reached. if it's a true control system, eg PID or something similar, the manufacturer has already worked out all the coefficients and resistor values and amplifier gains so that the system works as advertised.

what data do you want to get back out? command to 5%, wait a few seconds, it'll be at 5%. same with speed. do you want to view the interim speed values as the motor is increasing from 4 - 8 mph?

just curious - I've pondered doing the same thing.

Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, looks like they are starting with the proprietary route to extract as much value while it is fresh and will likely (slowly) start to open up their interfacing. I need to look at Schwinn connect today to see if there is some potential there through the USB; I could likely get the data side out of it easily with simple wireless converter, but doubtful on the controls. This would give most users what they want, data upload.

I would like to try and get a little more and create a wireless feedback loop based on various metrics so I need the control side as well. Can't bring myself to spend the cash on a Woodway:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ideas beyond what the current control systems accomplish, not looking to reinvent the wheel with a remote manual interface of simple treadmill controls. I think we all can imagine something more intuitive:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at my older (~6-8 years) Precor 9.33. The back where the control panel is connected to the motor contoller at the base looks to be RS485 connection. There is also what appears to be an ethernet port next to it. I did a quick look on the internet to see if the service manual mentioned anything about those connectors but there was no mention. Not sure its helpful as they have discontinued this model a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kevin,

I know some of the older treadmills use this protocol, and I may end up going with on that supports it as I have found a few in the refurb market and a couple of "newer" makes that have been rebranded the older brands (Quintin) and have maintained the serial input.

The attempt to standardize was a good idea that seems to have faded; the buying, selling and licensing deals in this market (mostly the older brands) have made a mess out of it, topped off by all the new entries who have their own plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I'm doing some research in the area of physical exercise and VR gaming and discovered this thread.
I am trying to create a game viewed through a VR headset and I want the treadmill speed to be based on the heartrate signal of the user (this would be passed to the treadmill via bluetooth using an android or ios app. So far my only leads are:

1. The Wahoo Gym Connect - which seems like exactly what I need except they plan to disable speed control for safety reasons!
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ect-integration.html
or
2. The TR7000i treadmill which uses Train & Trac software, which uses the Bluetooth to control the treadmill operation and according to the developers “Yes you can change the speed in real time using the App. There is not an SDK”. The downside being that they don't provide an SDK for the app or treadmill and also it costs about $7,000 which is out of my budget.

Any advice would be great.....thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [joeycampbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not gone back down into the well of current offerings, but there are several with wireless now. The cooperation you will get/find in terms of SDK will be variable. I ended up going with a RS232 serial port option, started with serial connection and then went with a wireless protocol via an adapter through the port. The serial ports in most commercial grade treadmills will give you access to all the controls. We created several feedback loops with sensors to control treadmill metrics. Keep in mind if you have commercial interests in the area it is a landmine of intellectual property rights:)

Open source interfaces are starting to become more prevalent in lots of equipment and may work around some IP, but I will leave that one to the lawyers to debate.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - nope, no intention of doing anything commercial - purely for research as part of a PHD in ExerGames.
A couple of quick questions - what language(s) did you use to communicate between the PC and the CSAFE port on the treadmill....was it via xcode for use with a portable bluetooth device? Did you encounter much latency passing data to/from the treadmill ?
Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever comfirm the ProForm 2000?
Quote Reply
Re: Need ST's help to look at their treadmills for serial port connection [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been a while on this one, but I recall the wireless from Proform was via iFit. Many folks have hack iFit, but not to the point of controls.

I have not tried it but Wahoo has brought a control interface solution via the old ethernet ports on many treadmills, not sure if the Proform has one.

In terms of control (if that is your interest) you may have access on some via a serial port or try Wahoo if RJ-45 port present or if no port hack into controller via hardware e.g. mimic UI command signals (speed, incline...)

FWIW, I was never interested in data, just want the treadmill to execute control commands via a remote source. I am curious to hear experiences with Wahoo Fitness in terms of running programs with speed, incline changes...2 years too late for me:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was curious if I could use the wahoo GEM on the pro form 2000. I couldnt find any reference to CSAFE from Pro Form. I emailed Wahoo. If I buy a treadmill, I'd like to have options available as more tech comes out in the treadmill space.
Quote Reply

Prev Next