Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Opinions on aero bar options
Quote | Reply
Looking to maximize aero per dollar on my latest build. Open to options on the bar.

I know the Ventus/Tri Rig are held as some of the most aero, but what about a clip on bar?
What's a good base bar if I went with a vuka alumina setup?

Is there any other bar I should be looking at?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vuka is a great bar (super adjustable).

For a base bar consider the vision aluminum (older version, here: http://www.ebay.com/...Levers-/111521381621 ). It's non-UCI (greater then 3:1 profile), so it's quite fast and not that pricey. It also lets you use the Vision levers (which are minimalist and quite aero).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Vuka alumina tested very poorly as per TriRig. I'd look into picking up a 40cm 26.0 Vision base bar and cutting off the upturns or the Felt Bayonet 3 base bar.

Pair either of those with the Hed Clip Lite or Zipp Clip ons and you'll be set.
Last edited by: Nick B: Nov 20, 14 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That ebay link says it is a UCI legal 31.8 bar. I have a older non UCI Vision bar I'm not using because it has a 26.0 clamp.

Zipp says not to use the Alumina Clip on a 26.0 bar. Wish I could, I love my Alumina bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
That ebay link says it is a UCI legal 31.8 bar. I have a older non UCI Vision bar I'm not using because it has a 26.0 clamp.

Zipp says not to use the Alumina Clip on a 26.0 bar. Wish I could, I love my Alumina bars.

I think the description on the ebay link is wrong. That vision bar is 26.0 (you can use the Vuka, but would need some shims) and non-UCI. It's getting hard to find a 31.8 bar that's not UCI 3:1. My Shiv Tri is a non-UCI frame, but they still put a UCI-limited base bar on it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Zipp Vuka Stealth aerobar.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
info from certain sources (singular) says the alumina on the vuka bull is not too bad compared to the vuka stealth, on the order of 20g drag with extensions,shifters and brake levers, but that is likely only zero degree. no, I don't know the specifics, just the random info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syntace stratos cx but the clamp area is narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the vuka stealth have an drag comparisons out there to a ventus or alpha? Haven't seen any so curious as to what the thought was on its aero properties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt bayonet aluminum basebar is your best bet

If you want to use the Vuka Aluminum Clip (which are awesome): http://www.feltbicycles.com/...3-Alloy-Basebar.aspx
A touch more aero but FAR less adjustable so only use it if you KNOW your position: http://www.feltbicycles.com/...t-Alloy-AeroBar.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to know if the zipp arm cups van fit on the bayonet?

And it looks like there is some stack options for the bayonet as well correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, sorry. Felt is pretty responsive so just shoot them a question re stack height. You can buy the Zipp arm cups separately. It's worth a shot as they're super comfy and they're pretty reasonable. If they don't work I'm sure you'll be able to flip them on the classifieds.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Opinions on aero bar options [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what its worth I saw the Ventus at 17 degrees for 700$ on one of the british sites (check PBK, wiggle or chain reaction)

Just a week ago or so.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no clue, but I will be tentatively on vuka bull/alumina clip next season unless ins company settles by end of month. stealth is too high of a stack bar for me.

but do you really want to compare uci legal to uci non-legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:

Yes. Same 25mm spacing. Zipp Alumina, Felt Devox, Dengfu FM087, Vision, & I think 3T all use that spacing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just open to options at this point. Trying to play the game of aero vs. DolLars. Is a vuka clip setup THAT bad to where it is worth I vesting in am alpha/ventus type setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not feel so, but I don't have specific data on it vs other bars. but if it is only 2 w off at 30mph vs a stealth, that is good enough for me at this point. also like that vuka bull is textured, ie I don't think any kind of tape/ friction surface will be needed for my TTing. plus it cost me well under half the cost of an Alpha

i'd prefer to still be using my aduro, but I don't trust it after seeing more damage inside stem clamp area after further investigation from car hit in May.(peeled some carbon from steer tube too with insert)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:

And it looks like there is some stack options for the bayonet as well correct?

I just got an alu bayonet 1 with the Felt that I got, and they do have different stack spacers for underneath the arm cups.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The damage was due to the impact or just failure?

Slipstream sports is selling some on ebay for a decent price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
impact with car turning right on red against the no turn on red sign at a multiuse path crossing intersection. you realize in hindsight how much such things really did affect you and equipment

not looking to buy anything without a warranty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understandable. Just didn't k ow if it was a defect I the bar or an accident. Hope all is well with the body. Parts are replacable.
Quote Reply