Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Help on 1st Bike Purchase
Quote | Reply
Is the difference in having carbon components in your bike versus just titanium, when you're doing Half Ironmans or full IMs significant? I was looking to buy a Cervelo Dual, but was talked out of it by a salesman because it lacked any carbon to lighten the vibration. Instead, a Felt S22 was recommended. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help on 1st Bike Purchase [tbagcrh99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the salesman have any Duals in stock?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's a salesman alright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a terrible reason to buy one bike over another.

Go to a shop that will actually speak intelligently about fit. That's the reason to get a Felt over the Cervelo, and the only good reason. If it FITS better.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help on 1st Bike Purchase [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, he did. He said that the cervelos were just too stiff for half or full ironmans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts?

Find another bike shop.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yeah, he did. He said that the cervelos were just too stiff for half or full ironmans.

That is a completely ignorant statement, I would take my bike business elsewhere if I were you.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That explains why I had emergency spinal fusion performed in the medical tent following my IM riding a Dual. Wish I had known!

What a load of crap.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He said that the cervelos were just too stiff for half or full ironmans. "

Nonsense. Look how many people are racing aluminium Cervelos (and other aluminium bikes) at these events. IM Kona was won this year on an aluminium bike.

The carbon over hyping is getting a bit ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help on 1st Bike Purchase [DualFuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it a fallacy then, that carbon does absorb some of the vibration that would otherwise go to back, feet, or arms depending on where the carbon is located?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO - Bike fit is #1

How many bikes do you see with metal forks?

I believe the carbon used for the seat stays on my T-12 helps reduce the fatigue from road vibration the same way the carbon fork does. I am convinced the reduced vibration helps me on the bike but more importantly gives me faster run splits.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Need Help on 1st Bike Purchase [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How many bikes do you see with metal forks?"

But that's strictly an issue of weight. Steel forks are actually still the best for road shock absorption. Aluminium of course is another issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run far and fast from that bike shop.

Yes, carbon can help to to smooth out a vibration, but there is a lot more to it than that (like tires, wheels, seat, seat post, etc.). Lots of riders do IM on Al bikes.

Find a shop that will take the time to fit you properly and not just steer you to what si eay and most profitable for them.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, all Cervelo's were made of Aluminum until last year, and people have been riding them at IMs as much as any other bike. Get a good fit, not a "good material". For what it is worth, I've ridden a bike with carbon seatstays and without and have never truly noticed the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]yeah, he did. He said that the cervelos were just too stiff for half or full ironmans.[/reply]

Totally True by a TitanFlex

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geometry plays a MUCH larger role than materials in terms of vibration absorption. An aluminum bike can be much more comfy than a carbon bike, or vice versa.

The Cervelo Dual was ridden to the overall win at the LD world championships, so it is clearly a great bike.

Bottom line, if the bike fits you, it will be comfortable over ANY distance. And if doesn't, it won't. If you buy from a good manufacturer, then don't worry about the materials.

PS: This is a MUCH better way to get things going than your vey first thread. :)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
especially if your getting your first bike its worth looking around a lot for what fits best, go to several stores to try out a variety of bikes and then look for a bargain for the bike you know works well ... around this time of the year looking on ebay for people selling of their bikes to start out with a new bike for the season is a good deal - here's a nice example of a carbon Kestrel fully loaded I just saw on ebay (I would guess at least 4000 new)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote Reply