Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Bike Fit Help Please
Quote | Reply
Not sure how to adjust my position, but something is off... care to dish out some input?

What do you guys think?

https://vimeo.com/189087282

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Need Bike Fit Help Please [ironmanphil90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't really look bad at all. I would get different extensions that allows your hands to come up a bit, they're too low now. This should help with aerodynamics as well as comfort (tends to relieve shoulder pain/stress)

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I have discomfort in my elbows, would raising the front aerobars or inclining them slightly fix this issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just from the video, you are too low and too stretched. Raise bars up a few cm and bring the extensions in as well. Try some Cee Gee pads that will help with the comfort on the elbows.

Steven Harad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noted!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What isn't right? Lower back pain? tightness in hips? Hamstrings? Neck? Please be more specific.
+1 you are stretched out (IMHO). Your elbow pads aren't under your elbows. Also, you seem to be seated pretty far back (though your hips appear to be rotated properly), but it's hard to tell from this view. Do you have the seat angle? Moving the seat forward might help close the gap to the front of the bike. This isn't normally how you do it, but in your case it might be killing 2 birds with one stone. Alternatively, pull armrests/pads back a bit.
For pads, Cee Gees are wonderful if your pads don't work well. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, last year, my back/neck started killing me about 100 km into the bike, I figure it's from lack of training/being in that position for too long tho?

As far as pain goes, no leg pain whatsoever, it seems to be in the elbows and the shoulders... I have my seat inclined forward, as I felt I was constantly moving back on the seat, but this way, I feel like I'm compensating with my elbows. If they're too far forward as you all say, I can try to lift them and move them towards me slightly.

I've been moving stuff around trying to find a comfortable but aero position but can't seem to find middle ground.

Anything else you'd all recommend?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now i'm nearly certain you're too stretched out. Your lower back and shoulders are trying to compensate for holding your body up. At some point, it just says uncle. That you made it 100k surprises me, but that's how we find these things. Your elbows maybe just don't like the armcups/pads, so try swapping those out. Or are being overweighted because you're too low/stretched up front. On the saddle, microadjustments were key for me. My ISM felt bad until I found my preferred level, and it took a few tries. That is adjustment #1. Don't go forward until you nail that down.

For the rest, if it were me...
I'd pull the armrests back and up first quite a ways. Feel free to tilt the bars if you want. Then, push out the armrests until you start to feel unsupported in the shoulders (that's too far) and come back to a "happy" point. Next, start to drop your bars in 5mm increments until your shoulders/back/neck really can't stand it, and move back up ~1 cm to a happy point. Make sure you can look up the road. That's one potential position (write down the measurements for pad height and distance).
Next, you can move your saddle forward/back 5-10mm and do it again (though this time, you have a great starting point). That's another potential position. Repeat again.
At some point, you are so far forward that you run out of bike or are too low up front to be comfortable and see up the road. Pick a something you like and go with it, but keep all the potential fits and make notes about how each feels.
Good luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I'll give that a try!

Thanks a bunch :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmanphil90 wrote:
Not sure how to adjust my position, but something is off... care to dish out some input?

What do you guys think?

https://vimeo.com/189087282

Thanks!
Your saddle is a bit low.

You are probably a little too stretched out, but I'd like to see you when you're outside or you're going hard to see if you slide forward on that saddle. That said, the saddle is about as far forward as it can go, so if you are too stretched out you'll need to bring the pads back a bit.

You do look like you are a little too aggressive, but that part is up to you. You could raise things 3 cm or so and be fine (especially considering you need to raise the saddle 1 cm or so).

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, my brother is the same height as me and he keeps saying my saddle is too low as well. But when I raise it I feel like I lose so much power, it's almost like it becomes insanely difficult to push hard on those pedals because I'm so high up.

The saddle might be tilted forward too much, so I could bring that back and I could raise the front as you say.

Thanks man! Really appreaciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd second ski bends I tried flat extensions once for about 45 min. the pain and arm numbness was unbearable. plus arms up is in general, more aero. saddle height looks good to me as does drop. reach could be shortened a couple cm on the pads, ok more than a couple as your hands are not on the shifters and there is no reason to have shifters that extend further than your hands. not aero and then you have to move your hands to shift(why?) I'd guess shifters should come back 5cm so your hands are on them. no reason to raise saddle if it causes power drop as lower is more aero anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty good, position-wise.

As others have mentioned, the wrist angle looks painful. On the trainer, try resting your fists on the extensions vs. canting your wrist to grab them. If this feels better, consider some lasy-S or ski bend extensions.

Try adding some grip to your saddle; it can help take stress off of your shoulders and elbows. This is a common issue with noseless saddles. A couple of strips of cloth medical tape should do the trick for testing. If it works there are more permanent options.

If you want to experiment with a slightly higher (10-20mm) pad position, you can affix a 2nd set of pads on top of the first set with rubber bands. It's a lot easier than using risers or stem spacers, and you can swap back and forth quickly, even mid-ride.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply