Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3
Quote | Reply
Hi all.

I'm hoping to get answers on a question I have regarding name change on a entry to Haugesund Ironman 70.3

A colleague of mine have a entry to this race, but hurt his knee during running and are not able to participate in the race, I want to take over his entry and change it to my name. It says on Ironman's web page that name change on entry is not possible, is there anyway around this?
I know that this is a qualifying race, but for me this is just me being curios about triathlon and I am in no way in shape for qualifying to anything, my goals for this race is to make it to the finish line, not braking any records😂
I don't care which name is on the starting number, but I guess to entry in my colleagues name is considered bad?
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [THNH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm excited to see how this thread pans out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman doesn't allow transfers to another person.

Q: Can I a transfer my slot to another athlete?
A: No it is not possible to transfer your slot to another athlete.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...l.aspx#ixzz4l6PnghMP

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks, I also found this on Ironman's web page, but do you know if it's possible to come around this in any way?

If I accept the fact that I have no insurance if participate in my colleagues name, can I attend the race? Off course without Ironman knowing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could change your legal name to be the same as his, that might work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THNH wrote:
Ok, thanks, I also found this on Ironman's web page, but do you know if it's possible to come around this in any way?

If I accept the fact that I have no insurance if participate in my colleagues name, can I attend the race? Off course without Ironman knowing...

No and it is highly frowned upon. In fact, if you do try to do it and then you get caught, you and your friend will likely be banned from WTC events for a few years.

It's a safety thing. What happens if you get injured during the race or get knocked unconscious and the RD needs to get a hold of your emergency contact?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thought the same, was only hoping it was a way around it..

Thank you for your answers, seems like I have to wait for my first triathlon experience 👍🏻
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having a half distance race as your first experience in the tri world might not be the smartest plan, yes people have done it and been successful but that is not the norm. For the price of this half distance race you could find several local sprints or Olympic distances that would be better at getting your feet wet in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are just doing it to try and finish I see no problem with just "pretending" to be your friend. Its your own risk, highly doubt you would get caught and if you did that'd be hilarious. I'm assuming you'd need to borrow his license or something as proof of id and hope they don't care.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [Kylek42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No this is not: do at your own risk type of thing.

Huge risks to RD. NEVER do a race under someone else's name
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious why do you "see it as no problem" to blatantly break the stated rules of an event and place an enormous liability onto the event owner/director?

yes I am a race director so I am biased but I've always been curious why some people feel it is OK to break the rules as long as it is in their favor

I get some may not agree with that rule which is fine, that I understand but why is it OK to than break it just because you don't like it

curious

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no race director, nor do I have knowledge of how it works. Am I wrong to believe that all liability is taken away once they choose to brake the rules? I don't know I tend to follow rules that pertain the kind of person I am. If I were to sneak my way into a race I would take full responsibility for whatever consequences I received.

I suppose we are lucky that what I see doesn't mean anything :)
Last edited by: Kylek42: Jun 26, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only it worked that way. And if only everyone actually took responsibility for their own actions.

Certainly isn't like that these days in the US and especially in litigious states like NY.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't allow transfers. Photo ID is required to pick up the packet. So no picking up someone else's packet (VERY common practice in running races, even though they too don't allow it). If they catch you racing under someone else's name they will ban you for a while.

Speaking of this, there was a dude at Victoria 70.3 this year wearing a bib with a woman's name on it. Not Leslie or Michele or any dual gender name. But a straight up female-only name. Granted it is still possible that was his name, but it's far more likely she picked up the packet and he raced it.

I made an effort to remember the name and bib number, but 70 miles later completely forgot all about this until just now 3 weeks later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from New York haha. I can see why it would be a worry for a race director so I can respect why people think so negatively about it. People are always trying to screw over whoever they can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylek42 wrote:
If you are just doing it to try and finish I see no problem with just "pretending" to be your friend. Its your own risk, highly doubt you would get caught and if you did that'd be hilarious. I'm assuming you'd need to borrow his license or something as proof of id and hope they don't care.
That would be, to put it bluntly, a total "D*CK" move. Let's say you, racing under another person's name, got in a bike crash (which can happen EVEN if you are "just doing it to try and finish"). Play out the scenario when the paramedics/race officials contact the family to the name associated with the bib number, pull the medical records, etc........and take it from there.

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just offering a different view on people running under someone else's bib. It's not about it being ok to break the rules, but rather frustration at the inability to transfer bibs. You can't help but feel cheated when you pay hundreds of dollar for a race, unable to race and see that money go to waste. There must be some way to do bib transfers from a technical standpoint (even with a fee), so this seems like a money grab. If it's "only" a medical liability issue. Why I can't I change the name on the bib and update the medical information accordingly? I have already paid for a spot and to support the race.

Why do many of us "blatantly" break the stated rule of airlines by not declaring our luggage as bikes and hoping the gate agent conveniently forget to charge us bike carrier fees? Because many of us feel ripped off.

I understand that it's a liability for RDs so I don't give my bibs away. However, it's nonetheless frustrating to have wasted thousands of dollars on races that I ultimately couldn't attend in the past 3 years. There must be a better solution.

Many people like me sign up for very few races because there's a good chance we can't make it. I'd probably race a lot more if there's some way to transfer bibs. I do not feel like I wasted money if my friend gets to race. I do feel ripped off otherwise.

P.S. Not talking about qualification only races like Kona.

FF Boots wrote:
Just curious why do you "see it as no problem" to blatantly break the stated rules of an event and place an enormous liability onto the event owner/director?

I find it frustrating that race directors don't know why paying customers are tempted to give their bibs to friends. Many people don't even know the RD risk. The Ironman Q&A simply states bib transfer is not allowed. For many people, it's simply a way to get their money's worth without hurting anyone (which they don't know they are doing).

/End Rant. from a guy who had missed a lot of races he paid for (tri and otherwise).

FF Boots wrote:
yes I am a race director so I am biased but I've always been curious why some people feel it is OK to break the rules as long as it is in their favor
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jun 26, 17 22:07
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then people would buy entries to big races early and re-sell them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"However, it's nonetheless frustrating to have wasted thousands of dollars on races that I ultimately couldn't attend in the past 3 years. There must be a better solution."

There is...sign up for other races that have a policy you prefer. Part of their business model is that a certain percentage of the people who pay won't show up. If you aren't OK with it, don't give them your money. If enough people do this, they will change the policy. To sign up for the race and agree to their policy, and then whine when it doesn't suit you...it's embarrassing.

Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It actually is a shame there isn't a transfer policy. I know a handful of people that have backed out of an IM or 70.3 because life happens. So the person is out a bunch of money and IM saves whatever nutrition the athlete didn't use on the course.

Good business model though. I'd love for people to pay me for a service they'd never use.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
I understand that it's a liability for RDs so I don't give my bibs away. However, it's nonetheless frustrating to have wasted thousands of dollars on races that I ultimately couldn't attend in the past 3 years. There must be a better solution.

While looking over the Cheater Busting blog [where illegal bib swapping shows up a lot] there was this link

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...list-supporters.html

Quote:
Bibswitch.com has been added to the list of MarathonInvestigation.com supporters.

BIBSWITCH is a platform that facilitates bib-transfers between runners and race organizers. A runner that has a bib that they cannot use contacts Bibswitch and Bibswitch contacts the appropriate race director to request approval for the bib sale or transfer.

Once the race director approves a sale or transfer, Bibswitch posts the available bib on the site to help find a match between buyer and seller. Bibswitch does not allow bibs to be sold at a higher price than their original cost.

I don't know if this program works for races DON'T allow transfers, but it's a step

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jun 27, 17 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
It actually is a shame there isn't a transfer policy. I know a handful of people that have backed out of an IM or 70.3 because life happens. So the person is out a bunch of money and IM saves whatever nutrition the athlete didn't use on the course.

Good business model though. I'd love for people to pay me for a service they'd never use.

Another race director view. A small (500) triathlon in Canada.
We used to offer transfers between participants. This worked reasonably well for a couple of years. Then all of a sudden people started swapping bibs to others without informing us. It became an unnecessary issue so we stopped offering transfers.

We now offer 50% refund up to 2 weeks before race day. We get about 8-10 refund requests per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want both of you to face suspension from the sport and banned from Ironman run events?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boots has only hit the tip of the iceberg on liability. :::pink font:::it's so fun, such a great use of the rd's time and the hundreds of dollars per hour in legal fees over months/years for DEFENDING a claim where the rd followed the rules but the bib-swapper didn't and then got hurt, was in an accident or sued the race... and you all wonder why event insurance is so 'easy' and 'cheap' to find...::pink font off now:::been there done that and would not wish it on my worst enemy.

usat requires the rd to publicly note the transfer/refund policy. if you don't like it or can't follow it, don't pay the entry fee. find and support a race that accommodates your needs as was suggested in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Name change on entry to Ironman 70.3 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Then people would buy entries to big races early and re-sell them

*ding* *ding* *ding*

This is a big part of the answer (hopefully), and is what keeps me from wondering why transfers aren't allowed. In theory, it is to our benefit.
Add in the factor with the potential safety/liability issues.
Add in the factor of having to deal with shifting paperwork/rearranging waves/switching packing lists for swim caps, etc. Even if the cutoff is far in advance, what a headache it would be for RDs.

But, it leads me to think about the selling of races. Nothing worse than having a concert announced, signing up for the pre-sale, spending an hour at work hitting refresh over and over trying to get in at exactly 9:00 AM when tickets go on sale. And finding them sold out. Of course, you can get them from StubHub immediately for an inflated price.

Fair enough, those willing to pay can get tickets. But, the scalpers and StubHub make that extra money, not the artist, venue and producer. That's what bothers me.

I think for the popular races, instead of offering an early bird discount, they should come out on day one and offer slots at say $3000. That way, anyone willing to pay...can pay. That'll keep the scalpers away. Then maybe week 2, it drops to $2500. Again, the scalpers stay away and anyone willing to buy can buy. Then maybe it drops to $2000. And so on. All of that premium spent by consumers goes to the race producer, not a scalper. Sure, as the deadline nears they're maybe almost giving them away at cost. But that point, they've already made a little more than they would have. If there's a scramble at that point and you lost out...so be it. If the scalpers get into the mix at that point, they're going to have a tough time selling for a higher value as people who were willing to pay more already would have done so.

Just a thought. I haven't thought it through. We should run this past Levitt and Dubner.
Quote Reply

Prev Next