Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France
Quote | Reply
I was disappointed to find out that Nairo Quintana, the "Colombian Climber", will not be racing in this year's Tour De France. He was a lot of fun to watch last summer as he was really the rider that pushed Froome the most. He just won the Giro D'Italia and apparently it took a toll on him in that Val Verde will lead team Movistar at this year's Tour. I would have liked to watch this young rising star of cycling take on the field, but I suppose there is always next year for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this something new? I thought I read he was never in the TdF as he was concentrating on the Giro this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I thought I read he was never in the TdF

Everything I read said focus was Giro; Tour in 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So lame. You would think that even if they didn't want to have the team work for him, he could at least protect Valverde in the mountains. Or maybe shoot for the polka dot jersey.

Really bummed he isn't in Le Tour. Seems like more experience wouldn't hurt much either, especially if the pressure isn't on him to gun for yellow.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prolly be healthier for us the fans, and the sport, and the riders, if we the fans didn't put so much of our heart in just the one grand tour.

The Giro was really great, I'm glad I got to watch Nairo there.

kjmcawesome wrote:
So lame. You would think that even if they didn't want to have the team work for him, he could at least protect Valverde in the mountains. Or maybe shoot for the polka dot jersey.

Really bummed he isn't in Le Tour. Seems like more experience wouldn't hurt much either, especially if the pressure isn't on him to gun for yellow.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

jackmott wrote:
Prolly be healthier for us the fans, and the sport, and the riders, if we the fans didn't put so much of our heart in just the one grand tour.

+1
Last edited by: soulfresca: Jul 2, 14 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was announced in March, I think. I was widely discussed at that time.

Quote:
the "Colombian Climber"
Who calls him that? I don't think he has a nickname. Regardless, there's about 50 "Colombian Climber"s in the current peloton.

Quote:
He just won the Giro D'Italia and apparently it took a toll on him in that Val Verde will lead team Movistar at this year's Tour.
a. as noted, he was never planning on riding the '14 Tour. It's not because he's tired from the Giro.
b. it's "Valverde".

Overall I have to say that this is a very strange, out of touch thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
This was announced in March, I think. I was widely discussed at that time.

Quote:
the "Colombian Climber"
Who calls him that? I don't think he has a nickname. Regardless, there's about 50 "Colombian Climber"s in the current peloton.

Quote:
He just won the Giro D'Italia and apparently it took a toll on him in that Val Verde will lead team Movistar at this year's Tour.
a. as noted, he was never planning on riding the '14 Tour. It's not because he's tired from the Giro.
b. it's "Valverde".

Velonews feb 2014. http://velonews.competitor.com/...rred-the-tour_315785
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to two months ago! Quintana for the Giro, Valverde for Le Tour. Quintana was unhappy about it but followed team orders.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's probably fine with it at the moment though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Agreed. At least Wiggins, the "British (by way of Belgium) Time Trialist", will win the Tour!
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [soulfresca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soulfresca wrote:

jackmott wrote:

+1

+2. Nairo will now focus on the Vuelta, which should be great as well if he's back on form. There is far more to cycling than the TdF. I would say that the in the past 2 years, the 2012 and 2013 TdF ranks somewhere in the middle of the best bike races I've watched on TV. Last year's Vuelta was fucking epic.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Nairo will now focus on the Vuelta, which should be great as well if he's back on form. There is far more to cycling than the TdF. I would say that the in the past 2 years, the 2012 and 2013 TdF ranks somewhere in the middle of the best bike races I've watched on TV. Last year's Vuelta was fucking epic.
The TdF often seems sort of bland from a bike racing perspective. But last year's Vuelta, this year's Giro, and this year's Criterium du Dauphine (among other races not named the TdF) were all great. Here's hoping for some fireworks in this year's TdF.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was never going to ride the Tour, winning the Giro was the set objective. Back-to-back grand tours for a 24-year old? There's a brilliant idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This made me think of Juan Mauricio Soler so I looked up what he was up to. Whoa I didn't know. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [ninjaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha that's great, thanks for that
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TdF often seems sort of bland from a bike racing perspective. But last year's Vuelta, this year's Giro, and this year's Criterium du Dauphine (among other races not named the TdF) were all great. Here's hoping for some fireworks in this year's TdF.

Agreed. The Grand Boucle has become a bit bland and predictable. Not sure why that is exactly. There seems to be a lot of negative riding/racing, and less riders and teams going on the offensive. The Parcours are predictable, the format somewhat unwavering year to year.

Although the stage to Arenburg with some of the cobbled Sectors from Paris Roubaix should make for some excitement in the first week.

I agree with the others - for the real bike racing fans, the Giro and the Vuelta offer a better overall experience.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Quote:

it's "Valverde".

What? Next you'll be telling my Valkilmer wasn't the best Batman.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
a lot of negative riding/racing

There is no such thing as negative riding/racing. There are tactics.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no such thing as negative riding/racing. There are tactics.

Indeed wrong choice of words . . "Tactics" is better.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>There is no such thing as negative riding/racing. There are tactics.

Negative racing is a specific type of tactic.
Quote Reply
Re: Nairo Quintana out of Tour De France [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

No, negative racing doesn't exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
trail wrote:

No, negative racing doesn't exist.

Negative racing exists, just by virtue of people having named it and collectively agreed on a definition.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since last year TDF here in Colombia people call him Naironman . And the nickname that fits almost every "colombian climber" is "escarabajo" which means Beetle in english
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>No, negative racing doesn't exist.

I've seen it! Firsthand. I swear. I know the tactic for defeating it, too. (that is defeating it if you're not a field sprinter)
Last edited by: trail: Jul 3, 14 16:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next