Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nails on the Silver Comet
Quote | Reply
I was riding on the Silver Comet ( our rails to trails multiuse trail that stretches from Atlanta to Alabama) on Saturday and I narrowly missed a three foot strip of roofing nails that someone had strung across the trail spikes up. You can easily reach speeds of 25 miles an hour at this stretch of the trail and if you hit those nails things could go really bad really quick. I had passed a group of four teens who looked like they were up to no good who were walking the trail and since there was next to no one out there I'm pretty sure it was them. I reported this to the police but couldn't stick around to see if anything came of it.
Be careful out there.

/IMG]

Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the note. About what mile marker was this?
Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming back at around mile 8.7. That long, slight decline where you can get some decent speed going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Thanks for the note. About what mile marker was this?

Wow! WTF is wrong with people in this world?

What mile marker (if known)? Did you get a chance to report it to the SCT sheriff patrol?

GG
Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We get this once a year or so on the Pere Marquette trail. Usually in the spring and then again just before some random event that uses the trail. Sometimes it's a box of carpet tacks, lots of time it's glass shattered in a definite pattern, usually on a curve or something. What gets me is folk will stop in the shop and tell us, but they just left whatever it was on the trail. I usually hop on a bike and go out and clean it up.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Silver Comet is a great place to ride, but it's tough to police all the nutcases and just plain evil people out there.

I was riding one day about the 30 mile marker or so and saw a big hillbilly looking fellow in bib overalls just standing in the middle of the path. Wasn't doing anything, just standing there. As I slowed to go around him I was on alert, but he just looked at me with an odd expression. Not sure where he came from or where he was going, but he sure creeped me out, and not much does that to me.

I have learned from 30 years of motorcycle riding to always expect the unexpected, and to always play it safe. But sometimes I still get surprised.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I've seen a few odd things out toward where the women were assaulted. Seems to be a vacant and lonely place out there sometimes while solo. It has a weird feeling out there sometimes way more than it does being out on rural roads. Like you said people just standing out there in street clothes in the middle of nothing. I feel a lot better cycling north of Cartersville from the Bud plant and being on those remote roads.

I caught this picture a few weeks ago of Cobb Co Police on the trail. Rare to see them out there.

Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Dec 23, 14 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
I caught this picture a few weeks ago of Cobb Co Police on the trail. Rare to see them out there.

Holy crap! I run on the SCT weekly & I have never seen anything like this. In fact, I don't know how anything larger than a motorcycle or perhaps a 4 wheeler could even get on the trail given the posts at each crossing. This has to be almost all the way out to Paulding county. He also looks like he is flying. How did you even get this shot?
Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up! Just when you thought it was safe to enter the SCT...
Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not see where he got on the path, but he was moving east of the new bathrooms near the 10 mile mark and there was another officer standing there with a woman. When I caught up with him and rolled up near his window he slowed down enough to tell me he was looking for some kids that got away from their mother.

The picture looks faster than it is. I guess he was moving about 20 mph since I was rolling about 25 mph to catch him. Yep he was running out of pathway since the next set of bollards were coming up soon and as far as he could go on that stretch. I have seen them pull those bollards to get on the path and have seen an ambulances and fire trucks picking up or aiding crashed cyclists on several occasions.

I am thinking about going there this morning just because I wouldn't mind some mindless cycling to finish up the year. Flat and really don't have to think about training solo in traffic this morning. It is a nice notch above sitting on the trainer and I will get in an hour extra of saddle time. Plus if I go to the brewery it will be all headwind going north and I don't feel like fighting it today, but maybe I will harden up and go to battle. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When training for flat IMs, friends and I do the "Pee on Alabama" ride, from Smyrna to the state line. We rarely see anything out of the ordinary. It is actually a very safe place to ride. I am hoping this was just some idiot kids who found these nails and laid them out as a stupid prank. I would hate to see some anti-bike folks start a campaign of harassment.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Nails on the Silver Comet [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wanting to do the out and back to Alabama for a while now. Maybe this coming year I will give it a try. I usually train solo so I have chickened out in the past. Is that something like 123 miles?

I noticed yesterday some more construction activity out toward the 16 to 20 mile marker. It looks like Paulding County might be putting in the security cameras they promised back when the lady was attacked in August. I also saw two sheriff patrols in the smart cars out at the 19 mile marker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple counties patrol in golf carts and smart cars.

It is about 120 give or take. Water at the train depot and a few other places. It is a nice route with little traffic. Only issue us that for sections out there, the trail hops back and forth between sides of the railroad tracks. Every time you hit a cross road, you have to turn, cross the tracks, and then turn again. Gets a little annoying. Be careful of slick spots as well- mossy like growth on areas that stay wet. My tri bike and my skin are carrying permanent reminders.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply