Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NSA Bahrain Cycling
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there know if there is enough space on the base to get a good road workout in?

Also would I need to bring my bike or are there roadies available from MWR?

I know that most US bases have weird rules that you must have a bell etc...

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: NSA Bahrain Cycling [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll need body armor, 3 grenades, your Kev helmet, and a front mounted 50 cal (in areo position).
Sorry could not resist.
Hope you find a bike and ride hard!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a hard time getting in a good long run there, much less a ride. Take your bike...and a trainer. We would see guys riding off-base occasionally; IMO, that's unbelievably crazy. You'll understand what I mean within 5 minutes of driving over there.
Quote Reply
Re: NSA Bahrain Cycling [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in Bahrain but not to the base...so I know what you mean.

Was it easy to fly with your bike into Bahrain?
Also trainer is a lot of weight, any chance they sell any there?

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was stationed in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia just across the bridge from Bahrain, for a year so I had the option of having household goods, to include personal goods like a bike and trainer, shipped. I never flew with either. We went to NSA Bahrain often for the commissary so I'd take my stuff and try to get a workout in, but cycling wasn't a viable option due to the size of the base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late in responding, but felt it necessary since I got bad gouge coming out here. I sold my tri-bike and second road bike thinking there was no riding. Luckily I kept and shipped the only bike I have left...a road bike. The cycling out here is not San Diego, Monterrey, or Miami, but it is good. There are two main groups (Awali Wheelers and Bahrain Tri Club) that meet on the weekends in a town called Awali. The groups have gotten as large as 30 cyclists and we are expecting even more once the weather cools. There are small triathlons throughout the winter ranging from Sprint to O-distance and Bahrain recently announced its first 1/2 iron distance in Dec '14 (Bahrain Challenge). The 1/2 has a $500,000 purse and there are already over (40) pro-triathletes registered. Hopefully this reply helps others with orders to Bahrain and considering hanging up the bike for awhile...don't do it...bring the road bike, the tri bike.
Quote Reply