Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please Help. BBB issue with ne FSA crank
Quote | Reply
So I have a new FSA crank with a power2max meter.

I have an English 68mm bottom bracket on my specialized. It measures 68.03mm with digital caliper.

I have a Shimano and FSA BB that are both BSA86. The measure 91.28mm for the Shimano installed and 90.82mm for the FSA installed.

When I try to in stall the crank on either BB with the spring washer the bearing are binding well before the left hand crank bolt is at the recommended torque.

The only way I cant get appropriate torque without binding is with out the spring washer. This way there is no lateral play, but the instructions call for this washer.

What do I do? What is wrong? Why do the BB's not measure 86mm like they say they should in the instructions?
Last edited by: Triagain2: Sep 5, 15 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help. BBB issue with ne FSA crank [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump, and rewritten for clarity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
So I have a new FSA crank with a power2max meter.

I have an English 68mm bottom bracket on my specialized. It measures 68.03mm with digital caliper.

I have a Shimano and FSA BB that are both BSA86. The measure 91.28mm for the Shimano installed and 90.82mm for the FSA installed.

When I try to in stall the crank on either BB with the spring washer the bearing are binding well before the left hand crank bolt is at the recommended torque.

The only way I cant get appropriate torque without binding is with out the spring washer. This way there is no lateral play, but the instructions call for this washer.

What do I do? What is wrong? Why do the BB's not measure 86mm like they say they should in the instructions?

While a different power meter, Quarq Cinqo, bike Speed Concept and bottom bracket, press fit, my wife had a similar problem with her power meter binding if the wave washer was used. In the end I just pulled it out, torqued to spec and moved on. It's not posed any problem in the long term.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have pretty much the same situation. I don't use the wave washer. Torque to spec and haven't had any issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help. BBB issue with ne FSA crank [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking. The wave washer is there for proper bearing preload, if I have proper bearing preload without it,and it torques up properly, it would seem to be not needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FSA has different BBs for the MegaEXO cranks, depending on whether they used a wave washer. Models that didn't use a wave washer are compatible (more or less) with Shimano BBs, but cranks with a wave washer require a narrower BB. Since you said your FSA BB measured about the same as the Shimano, it sounds like you have one for the older aluminum cranks (pinch bolts on left arm, and no wave washer), and not the newer one...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Please Help. BBB issue with ne FSA crank [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the BB with the new power meter, figured they would have shipped the correct BB, as it was all purchased through an e-mail conversation with the guy at power2max

I guess I will be contacting him on Teusday. For now I will use it as it is with Shimano BB
Quote Reply