Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!!
Quote | Reply
http://www.sidearmstats.com/ncaa/swimming/index.htm

So here are the results of the 4x200 relay. Stanford crushed it, Katie Ledecky anchored in a 1;39+. Simone did not swim though, is there something up with that? They had 4 solid splits without her, just wondering if she is sick, or being rested for other events. They won by 4 seconds, so pretty sure they knew they could win without her..

Stanford is going to crush this meet, I think no one gets within 75 points of them...
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rules are max 4 events, right? Am I remembering correctly? Simone is in 4x1, 50, 100, 200. Which I think means Katie isn't swimming the 4x1

Edit, never mind, I'm misremembering. Max 3 individual and 7 total

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 14, 18 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had thought that you get 3 individual events and 3(or 4 even) relays? Probably wrong, but that is what I thought. But 4 sounds too few to me including relays, we need a final answer on this so we can proceed with the prognosticating.
Last edited by: monty: Mar 14, 18 16:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I had thought that you get 3 individual events and 3(or 4 even) relays? Probably wrong, but that is what I thought. But 4 sounds too few to me including relays, we need a final answer on this so we can proceed with the prognosticating.

Here's the rule from the NCAA Pre-Championships Manual:

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF EVENTS
A student-athlete is permitted to compete in a maximum of seven events of which not more than three may be individual events. A student-athlete who swims more than the allowable number of individual or total events will be disqualified and prohibited from participating in the remainder of the meet at such time as they exceed the allowable limit.

According to SwimSwam, Stanford is likely saving Simone for the 4 sprint relays, plus she's swimming 50/100/200 free.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ha, so I was right, 7 events with 4 relays in there. And I forgot that there are 5 relays, so makes sense for Simone to miss this one if they did not need her. But for sure Ledecky is on that 4x100, probably this one and that one will be her only 2 relays.

Maybe we should predict what Katie will do in the 1650, and if she should save something for the relay....(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Split of the race was actually Comerford with a 1:39.1. Fastest split in history (about as fast as Missy's ridiculous flat start American record) and 0.7 faster than Ledecky. They tied last year in the 200, it's going to be interesting this year. Also note that the Stanford team has apparently been struggling with the flu.

Comerford is an amazing talent with so much upside.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not taking anything from Comerford, but maybe Ledecky eased up a bit with a 4 seconds lead?

Duke
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [itri-45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ledecky ease up? I doubt it

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [itri-45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is NO easing up at NCAA's. That was a tone setting relay for the Cardinal Women,. They crushed the relay, and barring disaster are going to crush the meet.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they looked great last night and are off to a great start this morning too.

Tennessee is looking great too, Matt had done a great job with that program.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [stoobie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimoff for 16th in the 500 - woof!

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Swimoff for 16th in the 500 - woof!

Oh, those hurt so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, it must have hurt real bad, especially losing by only .05 (they were 4:38.37 in their heats)

Stanford’s Megan Byrnes and Georgia’s Courtney Harnish were neck-and-neck through the 300. Byrnes started to make a move, taking a slight lead, but Harnish fought back with 100 yards to go. She took over the lead heading into the final 50, but Byrnes pulled back up down the final stretch. It was a close call at the finish, but Harnish held off Byrnes by a nail to win 4:45.33 to 4:45.38.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you post a link to where you are getting results, the page I have at the top of the thread is not working very fast..

And brutal having to swim 2 500's so close together. But this goes back to my comment about Ledecky and her 1650 and relay double. No one is immune from arm weariness after an all out effort. These two each lost 7 seconds from an all out 500, and the incentive and push for that 2nd one could not have been any harder, even if their lives depended on it!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty,
My go to source for swimming info is
https://swimswam.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice article up now on how "weird" today's prelims were.... https://swimswam.com/...ms-were-kinda-weird/
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Nice article up now on how "weird" today's prelims were.... https://swimswam.com/...ms-were-kinda-weird/
Yeah, a good article; but they didn't even mention the 500 swimoff. Though maybe it isn't weird, since the comments mentioned it happened last year for 8th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
itri-45 wrote:
Not taking anything from Comerford, but maybe Ledecky eased up a bit with a 4 seconds lead?

Doubt it. Reaction-time adjusted, it was Ledecky's second best 200SCY ever, just .04 seconds slower than when she tied Comerford in the NCAA 200 free finals last year. Comerford's RT adjusted time in the relay this year was a 3/4 second improvement over last year's 200 finals performance.

Comerford's gotten a lot faster since last year.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I would use the word weird to describe the day. Cliff note version, some faster seeded swimmers went slower, a few slower swimmers went faster, and the woman that crushes the 50/100 had a bad 500. I mean doesn't every big meet have the same exact scenarios? Keep in mind that a lot of these swimmers peak mostly for their conference champs, and have to hold a taper. This is much tougher than doing one taper for one meet, so not surprising that a few got it wrong or were just off.

When I saw weird, I was expecting Ledecky to have gotten 5th in qualifying in the 500, or Simone missing her relay start, or something like that, that would be weird......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stanford had a decent night....geeeeeezz!!
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting results, I can't find them!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Womens swimming updates: of course spoilers!!! [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found them, and wow. Funny thing that Katie Ledecky would be considered to have had the worst swim of the night on her team, the only one not breaking the record in their respective events. I wonder if she is off this meet, or listening to me and doing just enough to win the easy ones, and loading up for bear on the hard relays!! (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how about Lilly King's breast split on the 2nd place relay, 56 flat. She so crushed everyone in the pool that they must have had a body length and a half lead. Even held a second going into the final leg, but 45 high from Simone is just too good to overcome by anyone. Cant wait to see it on video, the splits just dont do how great that race must have been..

And 1;50+ for 200IM, sheeeeet!!!

And only 4/100's difference in Mallory and Simone's final legs, gonna be a great 100 individual swim.
Last edited by: monty: Mar 15, 18 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

And brutal having to swim 2 500's so close together. But this goes back to my comment about Ledecky and her 1650 and relay double. No one is immune from arm weariness after an all out effort. These two each lost 7 seconds from an all out 500, and the incentive and push for that 2nd one could not have been any harder, even if their lives depended on it!!!!

Well, Harnis turned that swim-off for the 16th and last finals qualifying position into a 10th place finish, swimming faster than either of her morning 500's.

Skippy74 wrote:
Stanford had a decent night....geeeeeezz!!

No kidding! If they went home now, they'd probably still finish in 4th.

Super impressed with Simone Manuel's swims tonight. She's just a stone-cold killer in the finals.

Poor Katie Ledecky wins the 500 by well over half a pool length, swims the 5th fastest time in history (she owns all the top 10 swims), and everyone is like "meh, it was an OK swim."

Meanwhile, in a pool ~800 miles SSE of the Women's NCCA DI Championships, Claire Tuggle, the "Next Katie Ledecky," threw down a 1:44 200 yard free in the NCSA Spring Nationals.......at 13 years old! :o. I've been following her for the last couple years and I believe this kid is the real deal. She's now 2nd all time in this event in the 13-14 age group behind Missy Franklin, who set the mark when she was 14. I can't wait to see what Tuggle does in the 500, where she's historically been even stronger than in the 200.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 15, 18 17:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next