Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Myrtle beach early August swim bike run
Quote | Reply
Taking family for a week. I will be in final build for IMWi. Looking for good pools and OWS places. Should I rent a bike and if so from where. Any worthwhile riding routes. Also any good run areas/trails

I will probably do a big bike week before and after and just focus on swim run for this week depending on feedback

Thanks for any insights.
Quote Reply
Re: Myrtle beach early August swim bike run [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one bump for the weekday crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Ohio but vacation in Surfside Beach SC every year. Last August I was training for IMMD while there. I chose to swim at the local YMCA as it was close to where I was staying and the unusually warm ocean brought in more sharks than my comfort level could take for open water. As for biking, I rode mostly the beach roads around Surfside which are flat and windy (much like MD), and took a few rides down to Murrells Inlet. Passing tourists in golf carts is always fun to do! The running was all near the house I was staying in and I managed a decent week for all three disciplines, i.e. 12,000 yards swimming, 160 miles on the bike and 38 miles running. My suggestion is to plan ahead, and map out some routes etc. My longest ride while there (75 miles) was quite discouraging, because I didn't really know where I was and kept finding myself on roads with a lot of traffic.

Start slow and taper off....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would bring the bike if you can- I have stayed in North Myrtle in the past and found some great rural roads by simply heading directly inland, and just exploring a bit. Found some relatively safe loops a bit inland and really enjoyed riding there. I found that once you got a few miles away from the beach, things were pretty quiet and drivers were respectful. Perhaps some locals can give you some better detailed routes.
Quote Reply
Re: Myrtle beach early August swim bike run [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
I would bring the bike if you can- I have stayed in North Myrtle in the past and found some great rural roads by simply heading directly inland, and just exploring a bit. Found some relatively safe loops a bit inland and really enjoyed riding there. I found that once you got a few miles away from the beach, things were pretty quiet and drivers were respectful. Perhaps some locals can give you some better detailed routes.

appreciate the feedback of you and Tronk. Flying with family so I will probably not bring the bike but will rent if I can find the right place.

I may also do big bike weeks before and after and just press swim/run that week (ie 20k swim and 50-60 mi run). Depends on how much family needs/wants me around. If I am on my own for a day or two it may be worth renting and exploring as you did for a couple long rides.

thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Going inland is the best bet on the bike. I always take my bike, so I am not familiar with any local bike shops - sorry. Be prepared for the humidity in August. Most of my training days started between 5:30-6:00 am and it already was close to 80 degrees with 100% humidity (a bit different than Ohio and I am sure it is different than Wisconsin). Good Luck ~ enjoy your vacation and IM!

Quote Reply
Re: Myrtle beach early August swim bike run [Tronk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tronk wrote:
I agree. Going inland is the best bet on the bike. I always take my bike, so I am not familiar with any local bike shops - sorry. Be prepared for the humidity in August. Most of my training days started between 5:30-6:00 am and it already was close to 80 degrees with 100% humidity (a bit different than Ohio and I am sure it is different than Wisconsin). Good Luck ~ enjoy your vacation and IM!

thanks appreciate the advice. It's always fun to go somewhere with a different climate in the middle of an IM build. Last year in the middle of build for the same race we went to Yellowstone and I had to run at altitude and hills........ not fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Taking family for a week. I will be in final build for IMWi. Looking for good pools and OWS places. Should I rent a bike and if so from where. Any worthwhile riding routes. Also any good run areas/trails

I will probably do a big bike week before and after and just focus on swim run for this week depending on feedback

Thanks for any insights.

just bumping this one more time from Feb as we leave on Sat. Trying to decide if it is worth it to rent a bike from a local shop for a day or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironmayb, I am leaving tomorrow for Surfside Beach. I will be swimming at the Y. Maybe I will run into you out there some where. Have a great vacation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a tribike but this link may help for rental:

http://www.peedeebicycle.com/about/rentals-pg137.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was down at pawleys island 2-3 weeks ago with my fiancee and her fam.
i did the sunday myrtle beach "house of pain" group ride--let's just say i was expecting more pain. the guys were nice.

http://www.myrtlebeachcycling.com/calendar/

i did a couple other loops on other days but way way too much traffic for my taste.
i had a dislocated rib so i didn't swim at all. but ran a bit.

text me if you have any questions.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Myrtle beach early August swim bike run [Tronk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tronk wrote:
Ironmayb, I am leaving tomorrow for Surfside Beach. I will be swimming at the Y. Maybe I will run into you out there some where. Have a great vacation.

sounds good thanks. I will most likely be at the Y everyday 8/7-8/12. Havent checked the schedule there yet for lap swim time. Hope to see you there
Quote Reply
Re: Myrtle beach early August swim bike run [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
i was down at pawleys island 2-3 weeks ago with my fiancee and her fam.
i did the sunday myrtle beach "house of pain" group ride--let's just say i was expecting more pain. the guys were nice.

http://www.myrtlebeachcycling.com/calendar/

i did a couple other loops on other days but way way too much traffic for my taste.
i had a dislocated rib so i didn't swim at all. but ran a bit.

text me if you have any questions.

thanks B. I left my bike at Rocket in Madison after riding today for a good once over. I think I will just swim and run everyday then pick up my bike next Sunday and hit another 80-100 on course then. Still gives me a couple weeks of bike build.

Good luck on your Kona build. I talked to Burke today and he is feeling better so, bad news.....
Quote Reply