Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Being an INFJ I am pretty curious as to the type of person that finds themselves doing triathlon. I like the Myers-Briggs categorization and find it to be fairly accurate. I thought it would be fun to gather a sampling of individuals on ST to see how things would shake out.

I did find an older poll on BT...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70561

Last edited by: LifeTri: Oct 26, 17 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ENFP

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I like the Myers-Briggs categorization and find it to be fairly accurate.

noooooo, its like chinese fortune cookies or horoscopes...meyers briggs is fake and won't go away...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello LifeTri and All,

I had to look it up ...... All those letters make it read like an Op Order to attack ISIS or North Korea.

INFJ (Introversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judging) is an initialism used in the publications of the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to refer to one of the sixteen personality types. The MBTI assessment was developed from the work of prominent psychiatrist Carl Jung in his book Psychological Types.

Home > My MBTI® Personality Type > MBTI® Basics. The purpose of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®(MBTI®) personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people's lives.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I'd have to go take the test again to be sure....did that in college 20+ years ago, cuz my wife thought it would be "fun". I think I was an INTJ---whichever one stands for "emotionless, uncaring, analytical, ass"??
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 26, 17 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surferdude wrote:
Quote:

noooooo, its like chinese fortune cookies or horoscopes...meyers briggs is fake and won't go away...

hahahahaha.....I never understood the point, either. My wife thought it would be fun to see how "compatible" we were. Needless to say, we are exact opposites....which to her meant we are fire and water. for reference, she's the fire. Its apparently a miracle we've made it 26+ years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to do it for my academic fellowship a couple years back. INFJ. I put very little stock into it though. A lot of people in that program take it quite seriously, but I'm weary of any test that tries to put you in a box and tell you how to think and feel. It's been shown that your type can fluctuate based on what mood you are in when you take the test, and its pretty easy to unconsciously bias your answers based on how you wish to be perceived. Even the guy who's research it is based on says its a misinterpretation of his work. It can be kinda fun to think about, like horoscopes/astrology, but it is no more scientific than that.

I think the only conclusion you could draw about personality type and triathletes is that a majority of us are Type A :)
Last edited by: bullmoose: Oct 26, 17 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a:
ENTP-T

Mind -
Extroverted: 67% (vs Introverted)
Intuitive: 59% (vs Observant)
Thinking: 53% (vs Feeling)

Tactics-
Prospecting: 51% (vs Judging)

Identity -
Turbulent: 58% (vs Assertive)

and to edit according to people who know me best with two quotes:

Friend: "He is the nicest and smartest asshole you will quite possibly ever meet" - said to a girl I was introduced to

Father: "Son, you are the kindest person I know. You will help anyone and give them the shirt off your back. However, when you are an asshole, you redefine the definition and quite frankly it frightens me"

So I'm a nice asshole I guess.
Last edited by: ou8acracker2: Oct 26, 17 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tested ISTP or artisan crafter
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I tested ISTP or artisan crafter

artisanal bread maker?
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surferdude wrote:
Quote:

======================================================
i'm laughing, recalling how this was quite the rage in its heyday. also laughing at the predominant reaction to it by a lot of people: "and….??????" (meaning, "so what?")
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Being an INFJ I am pretty curious as to the type of person that finds themselves doing triathlon. I like the Myers-Briggs categorization and find it to be fairly accurate. I thought it would be fun to gather a sampling of individuals on ST to see how things would shake out.

I did find an older poll on BT...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70561

Mine came back HTFU

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IXTJ (N and S were neutral)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm ENTJ and another test has me as a 'Commanding Extrovert'.

My wife sometimes describes it as 'asshole'

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another INTJ here. Kindof interesting to see so many on this thread. This chart shows the prevalence of each type in the general population:

https://www.careerplanner.com/...TypeInPopulation.cfm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
INFJ.

I've tested consistently the same thing since I was a senior in high school (I'm 27 now). I've taken the test at least 10 times during various stages of my life and never has it changed.

And I still decided to go to law school—one of the worst professions for INFJs. lol.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
INTJ - "The architect"

My employer is currently pushing this test. all management was put through the test and put in a room to see how everyone stacks up and to try and understand and communicate with each other better. They divided the floor into 16 squares so we could visually see who was where. Needless to say, in a room full of about 30 people, I was on an island from the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, a quick "trick" I learned to see if someone is a "feeler" ("F)" or "thinker" ("T") is to ask for the person's opinion... If they preface their comment with, "Well, I *think*...", they are more likely a thinker. The opposite is also true—"I feel that...".

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm INTJ. It's freakishly accurate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intj....though 50/50 on j/p.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, how did you know?

Bread maker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is as stupid as if not worse than a MMPI test.
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
surferdude wrote:
Quote:

======================================================
i'm laughing, recalling how this was quite the rage in its heyday. also laughing at the predominant reaction to it by a lot of people: "and….??????" (meaning, "so what?")
peggy

Yeah, total bogus attempt to stick non-quantifiable traits into drawers.

Even in the rosiest of considerations (with indicating percentage-fractions between each Extreme), it is a very crude approximation at best.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-grant/goodbye-to-mbti-the-fad-t_b_3947014.html

Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 26, 17 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ISTJ.

Female, self-employed tax accountant, duathlete.

I spend a lot of time inside my head.

Extroverts generally think I'm useless because I don't verbalize everything that I know.

I just want them to shut the fuck up and listen once in a while.

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Types - Triathlon [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
INTJ. The personality type is a great fit for triathlon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next