Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My tri bike fit stinks. Please help!!
Quote | Reply
So I did have a fit believe it or not. One might say I look like I'm on a beach cruiser. Heading back for a new fit but wanted to se if anyone had some easy ideas. Drop spacer. Lower seat. Different crank length. I had no been on my tri bike since October 70.3 in Wilmington Nc. Had raised my FTP to 255 on road bike this off season. 154 lbs of of thodat. Yesterday did 2.5 hours on tri bike and had real hard time holding the power numbers I usually hold on road bike. Is this bc of my fit/position? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Last edited by: ezel04: Mar 5, 17 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: My tri bike fit stinks. Please help!! [ezel04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It takes time to adapt to a dramatically different position. Usually a couple weeks. The metabolic adaptations that allow you to make that power are still there, but you lack some specific muscle strength to utilize it in that position. Same way increasing FTP on the bike can translate to the run and swim, but you have to develop those muscles to use those same metabolic adaptations. Some are muscle specific, some are more systemic.

At some point there are some mechanical limitations of the more aero and forward tri position. But it's almost always a good trade for overall speed. But it sounds like your fit may be so poor that you are getting the worst of both.

No way to make any suggestions without pictures. But as a general rule, most people need to visualize the position are "rolling forward" not getting lower. The front end gets low because you rotate your entire position relative to the bottom bracket. You slide forward, arms get lower but not necessarily more stretched out. The limiting factor of the position becomes neck flexibility to see where your going and hip angle. Hip angle is mitigated with shorter cranks. But if your rotating, the relative hip angle doesn't change much. You do however place more weight on your shoulders and require more core strength to leverage power. This becomes a limiter for some, as well as neck flexibility.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: My tri bike fit stinks. Please help!! [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry about that. i did think it uploaded the pic but the file size was to big hence i had to reformat. thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P5 isn't a bike that is easily adjusted, so you probably want to find someone that has a fit bike and some experience fitting triathletes.

How did you settle on this size bike/position to begin with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, your hair is too high. Seat is too low. Now that the obligitory ST funny business is out of the way...it actually does look like you're stretching/reaching a bit, with the upper arm not as supportive of the upper body. Which may place some extra strain on the neck/shoulders. You really need the top tri bike fitters to pop in & comment (Mat Steinmetz).
Quote Reply
Re: My tri bike fit stinks. Please help!! [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was on shiv for 3 years. Took a bad fall one race. Had a few other bad races and came to the conclusion my shiv had run its course. I actually was fit on the shiv by one of the top fitters in North east area I believe. Dean at fit werx. I emailed and asked about a few bikes that would work taking into account my previous fit and the p5 was one of them hence I went with it. Ended up taking exact measurements as I had them on a removable storage device and went to my local bike shop and just had them pretty much duplicate it as I got the bike at the end of the season last year and had about zero days to ride it before the two 70.3 events I signed up for. I guess it's prob time to get another appointment with fit werx....
Quote Reply