Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron.
Quote | Reply
So I have been conducting tests on what size ankle weights will provide me the greatest amount of angular momentum propulsion. I am using my specially designed cranks to provide more forward motion to take advantage of this angular momentum (based on this design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9YVTey5GHQ) attached to my 3rd Velotron.

So far, I have collected data that shoes that the bigger the weights are, the lower my ideal cadence is, the higher my "practical power" is. I define practical power as the erg mode power setting on the Velotron divided by my sweat rate, multiplied by skin temperature.

I used to be certain that the helium balloons I attached to my ankles were the right way to go, but this data has really convinced me that going to large ankle weights is where it's at! Who knew?! We have all fallen victim to a blind belief in Isaac Newton. So I have utilized the principle of Angular Momentum to teach humanity something new!

The DATA:

I've plotted the data and my eyeball fit of the curve indicates that ideally I should be wearing 62.4 pound ankle weights and race at a cadence of 17 rpm.

Interestingly, the data points to no maximum limit to the shedding rate of my dog.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What nonsense. Just put a generator on your rear wheel and hook it up to your hidden motor in your seat tube. Boom, the faster you pedal the faster you go!
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's totally cheating. I just cannot understand those losers who cheat.

BTW, had a great time this year on Team USA at the World Championships. I wasn't feeling too good before the race so I got a steroid injection and the whole family had the time of their lives cheering for me from the curb.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Post deleted by turdburgler [ In reply to ]
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just do this sport as a hobby, but people like you have to attack me. I just try to be supportive and I do not care about my results.

But holy crap everyone sucks at running. I run faster than everyone. No one understands how fast a runner I am or how important running is in triathlon. I just run my way into first place all the time. I just win win win. I get so sick and tired of all the winning.

But if you want to pretend that triathlon is so important and belittle people like me go ahead. Like I said this is just a hobby. I don't really care and I don't try very hard at it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I interpreting correctly? Your dog sheds more at a lower cadence??That’s surprising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Maybe you can get Paulo to coach you so we can get more opinions from banned people.

Wonder if he'll asked to be called Dr ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys have no idea what it is we are doing with this totally legit approach to testing, it doesn't matter what the math says because eyeballs.

- Paulo

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo's not banned.

Prove to me that Paulo is banned.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Paulo's not banned.

Prove to me that Paulo is banned.

If you refer to me on this thread, please use my title - Dr.

You guys just do not understand the science behind this. All we are trying to do is understand how to ride a bike correctly.

This is not a research study.

- Paulo

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
Am I interpreting correctly? Your dog sheds more at a lower cadence??That’s surprising.

Do you have any data that says mine is wrong? No? Didn't think so.

Data.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you thought to correlate this with how much you sleep? does it make a difference if you eat before you conduct your testing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

Do you have any data that says mine is wrong? No? Didn't think so.

Data.

Data? Stats? C'mon ... it's all about the eyeball test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thread of the year! Brilliant!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your theory is useless because it fails to consider the implications of the anquetil method on shedding rate. the perfection of this technique alone is the answer to questions questioned, and the questioning of these answers. questions also.

PS - cures male pattern baldness.

PPS - and halitosis

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what if you're wrong?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scarecrow approves of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOxU2rKLas

Isn't Frank Day a Doctor of Thinkology?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5/7 top notch work.

You missed the trailing off and ellipses. If you don't even understand what that means, then, well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the very idea that one could question the rightness of the ancient wisdom of the method only uncovered but not revealed shows the wrongness of it's questioning in the effrontery of its utterance

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered the effect on your dog when you go from 15 pounds to 62?

...didn’t think so.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
the very idea that one could question the rightness of the ancient wisdom of the method only uncovered but not revealed shows the wrongness of it's questioning in the effrontery of its utterance

snowflake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
your theory is useless because it fails to consider the implications of the anquetil method on shedding rate. the perfection of this technique alone is the answer to questions questioned, and the questioning of these answers. questions also.

PS - cures male pattern baldness.

PPS - and halitosis

I should have known someone would bring up Anquetil. You are misconstruing what you should actually be learning from him. Everyone falsely believes that Anquetil pedaled in circles. This is false. The weight of his massive cankles gave his pedaling so much Angular Momentum that it actually stretched his cranks out by 15.632 cm in the forward direction during every pedal stroke. He pedaled in ellipses!!

This is why I worry about Ed coming on here and trying to describe what we are doing because he does not quite understand it. It was actually Anquetil's Cankles that gave me the idea for this study (not research) in the first place.

- Paulo, Dh.P

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So why don't you teach me? I'm here to learn. I'm just asking questions and trying to learn, but all people want to do is attack.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

Exactly!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find the ideal ankle weights for use with my Ellipsograph cranks on my Velotron. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You haven't seen my dog.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next