Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My technique turns to garbage in open water
Quote | Reply
I have been swimming since before I can remember but never had any formal training. I just spent a lot of time in lakes or public pools as a kid. As a result, I am completely comfortable in open water, but never learned proper technique. Last year I found a swim coach who did wonders for my technique and made me about 30s/100 faster in the pool.

However, every time I do an open water swim, I slip back into my lifelong habits. I lose focus, stop pulling all the way through, let my legs drop, constantly sight, you name it. And I slow right back down.

I am keeping OWS to a minimum to try to engrain the better habits, but the bad ones are very deeply engrained. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after getting hit, pulled legs, etc etc in OWS ...at what seems like the worst times(breathing)... any technique I think I had is out the window as well.
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue. my OWS times are no where close to my pool times even accounting for a bit of extra distance from lack of straight line swimming. I definitely think part of it is technique loss. Body rotation and head position likely my biggest issues in OW. The non-smooth surface doesnt allow me to get the same rhythm I have in the pool. It is about 10 seconds per 100 slower (and that includes a wetsuit).

That said I have been practicing a bit more. I have IMLP this weekend so we shall see. I can easily hold 1:45/100m in the pool for distance. I will be happy with 1:55/100m at IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
I have the same issue. my OWS times are no where close to my pool times even accounting for a bit of extra distance from lack of straight line swimming. I definitely think part of it is technique loss. Body rotation and head position likely my biggest issues in OW. The non-smooth surface doesnt allow me to get the same rhythm I have in the pool. It is about 10 seconds per 100 slower (and that includes a wetsuit).

That said I have been practicing a bit more. I have IMLP this weekend so we shall see. I can easily hold 1:45/100m in the pool for distance. I will be happy with 1:55/100m at IMLP.

ditto this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I have been swimming since before I can remember but never had any formal training. I just spent a lot of time in lakes or public pools as a kid. As a result, I am completely comfortable in open water, but never learned proper technique. Last year I found a swim coach who did wonders for my technique and made me about 30s/100 faster in the pool.

However, every time I do an open water swim, I slip back into my lifelong habits. I lose focus, stop pulling all the way through, let my legs drop, constantly sight, you name it. And I slow right back down.

I am keeping OWS to a minimum to try to engrain the better habits, but the bad ones are very deeply engrained. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you fix it.

I gotta call BS here, no offense.

30 sec/100 faster in the pool from technique alone? What paces were you starting at?

And are you seeing that sort of time drop when you go back to your 'bad habits?'

Technique is super important, but honest to god, I've never seen a swimmer who I felt had the swim-specific fitness of a 1:30/100yd swimmer over distance but was so sloppy in the water that they were 2:00/100yds. Heck, even getting 10sec/100 from technique alone is a stretch for anyone who's under 1:50/100yds.

But with regards to your question, I strongly suspect that your main problem, if not your only problem with OWS vs pool differences in speed and technique, is the sighting. I'm constantly surprised that coaches do not emphasize doing sighting drills for triathlon swimmers, PARTICULARLY at the beginner to intermediate levels. When your a FOP strong swimmer, you're skilled and strong enough that sighting is nearly a non-issue, as you know your stroke and body well enough to smoothly integrate it without much practice. However, if you're a typical MOP triathlete, sighting is a BIG deal and will slow you down big time if you're bad at it.

If you doubt this, go to your pool which is as ideal an easy environment as you can get, and do your normal swimming with the added challenge of clearly sighting every 5th stroke. I'll bet you'll suffer not only a hit on your swim times, but even more importantly, a lot more fatigue and even slight panic from the added stress of fighting the leg drop from sighting inefficiently.

Practicing the sighting a lot to minimize the head lift and to get a good rhythm helps a lot as a MOPer. Adding sighting practice to my pool regimen before races (and I still don't do it enough and suffer the consequences accordingly) helps more than anything else to my OWS comfort - even more than practicing in OWS itself! I don't do anything crazy - but I will do a entire 45-60 minute freestyle workout forcing myself to sight every 5 stroke cycles to get that sighting rhythm and efficiency normalized.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 20, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I've never seen a swimmer who I felt had the swim-specific fitness of a 1:30/100yd swimmer over distance but was so sloppy in the water that they were 2:00/100yds. Heck, even getting 10sec/100 from technique alone is a stretch for anyone who's under 1:50/100yds.
You are busting my bubble. I am a solid low 1:40s swimmer, and was hoping that I could hire a coach to fix technique issues that would give me another 10-15 sec/100. I see people clearly way less fit than me just destroying me in the pool. I think of swimming more like golf or yoga-- it is all about technique and fitness just helps you do more of it. If I go all in, I can barely break 1:30. Yet, un-fit looking people can cruise all day under 1:30.

Back to the OP... I am a crapshoot at OWS pace compared to swim pace. Some OWS I am much slower. And in others, I am about the same as pool (or just a touch faster). I think my problems are sighting and form. However, when I am slower in OWS, it is usually within 10 seconds of my pool pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have experienced something very similar. I have improved some in the pool, am much better than I used to be anyway, over the last ~9mo of swim training with an instructor. My actual races are not improved and probably worse. I did a swim with my triathlon coach and he said I was taking my head out of the water very badly, which I definitely don't do in the pool. I've been working on it. In any case, I swim 1:40 to 1:45 per 100scy in the pool, do 5-10s slower by myself in open water (if you can believe a Garmin watch for this), and do a further 5-10s slower in races where I tend to get stressed and do even worse things with my technique. I would ordinarily think that I'd swim faster in open water since I always use a wetsuit here. Not many answers for you, unfortunately, will be curious what others have to say.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

30 sec/100 faster in the pool from technique alone? What paces were you starting at?

My emphasis. Language is a funny thing.
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I've never seen a swimmer who I felt had the swim-specific fitness of a 1:30/100yd swimmer over distance but was so sloppy in the water that they were 2:00/100yds. Heck, even getting 10sec/100 from technique alone is a stretch for anyone who's under 1:50/100yds.

You are busting my bubble. I am a solid low 1:40s swimmer, and was hoping that I could hire a coach to fix technique issues that would give me another 10-15 sec/100. I see people clearly way less fit than me just destroying me in the pool. I think of swimming more like golf or yoga-- it is all about technique and fitness just helps you do more of it. If I go all in, I can barely break 1:30. Yet, un-fit looking people can cruise all day under 1:30.

Back to the OP... I am a crapshoot at OWS pace compared to swim pace. Some OWS I am much slower. And in others, I am about the same as pool (or just a touch faster). I think my problems are sighting and form. However, when I am slower in OWS, it is usually within 10 seconds of my pool pace.

Don't get fooled by the un-fit people look. If they're swimming sub 1:30, they've got good pull power and an efficient body position. Even if they've got a gut and plenty of flab.

You don't have to 'look' fit in swimming to go fast. 9-month pregnant ex-competitive D1 swimmers who look like they're going to explode will still crush 99% of triathletes including the lean and mean top AGers in swim challenges.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing top elite world-class freestyle swimmers making sub 1:00/100 paces look easy. Don't look at that and conclude it's all technique and no power. I'd argue the nearly the complete opposite - these guys/girls are so powerful, they'd be nearly that speed even if they had to do YOUR (or my) stroke, complete with our errors. In fact, I'll guarantee that you could have them swim in a drag suit, one-armed tied to their waist, and even have them pop their entire head clear out of the water to their chin on every other stroke to further kill their great body position, and they'll STILL easily go sub 1:30/100yds, if not sub 1:20.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 20, 17 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

And are you seeing that sort of time drop when you go back to your 'bad habits?'

Technique is super important, but honest to god, I've never seen a swimmer who I felt had the swim-specific fitness of a 1:30/100yd swimmer over distance but was so sloppy in the water that they were 2:00/100yds. Heck, even getting 10sec/100 from technique alone is a stretch for anyone who's under 1:50/100yds.

I'm going to "kind of" agree with you on this one. I'm a 1:45 swimmer in the pool at a comfortable sustainable (half or longer race) pace. I have team mates that are 5 to 10 seconds faster than me in the pool that go to absolute shit in the open water, where I swam as part of my job for the first 20 years of my adult life. Some of them are near 2:00 without a wetsuit and then back around 1:50 in a wet suit.

What I try to explain to them is that they are decoupling their stroke, both in the pool and in the open water, but in the open water that is a much bigger killer of technique. Decouple in the pool and as long as you are not dropping your legs you will only slow a little. Do it in the open water in wave action and you will almost stop between strokes.

There is a swim technique, whose name escapes me, that actually taught you to do this. It worked well in a pool but failed miserably in any kind of chop or current.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, agree with you. My comment about that -30sec/100 was mean for pool vs pool comparison, not for pool vs OWS - a LOT more can go wrong in OWS that can easily turn a 1:30/100 swimmer into a 2:00/100 swimmer - it's definitely happened to me!

(In my last race, I got kicked so hard in the head that I both saw stars and my goggles went flying off my head. I was so stunned I had to literally stop for at least 30 seconds which itself wasn't so safe given I was in the front 20% at that point, and I never could get back to a hard swim effort after that.)
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You exactly right just like golf. As my coach tells me and he is 100% right swimming is about 70% Technique and 30% Fitness. Very frustrating for most of us non swimmers to see over weight people smoking our butts with ease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine in OW technique-wise once I settle in (just takes me longer if it's cold or amped up in a race)...
But, I always feel like my technique goes haywire in a wetsuit.
I'm not sure that I can really get to apples-to-apples enough to compare actual speed....with turns vs. meander, pool length vs. GPS variability (and meander).
I've never been able to swim the same OW course with/without wetsuit. And even then...meander...etc.

I feel like my legs and butt are sitting too high in the water that I'm kicking air more than I do without a wetsuit. I'm just going on faith that I'm actually faster in a wetsuit due to the buoyancy.
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Yes, I have experienced something very similar. I have improved some in the pool, am much better than I used to be anyway, over the last ~9mo of swim training with an instructor. My actual races are not improved and probably worse. I did a swim with my triathlon coach and he said I was taking my head out of the water very badly, which I definitely don't do in the pool. I've been working on it. In any case, I swim 1:40 to 1:45 per 100scy in the pool, do 5-10s slower by myself in open water (if you can believe a Garmin watch for this), and do a further 5-10s slower in races where I tend to get stressed and do even worse things with my technique. I would ordinarily think that I'd swim faster in open water since I always use a wetsuit here. Not many answers for you, unfortunately, will be curious what others have to say.

I am still slow in the pool (about 2:10 per 100 scy unless it is an all out sprint). But that is about 30s/min faster than I was before I started working with the coach, despite what the naysayers might claim. I did even have the distinction of being the last person out of the water at a race a few years ago.

If you look at the Garmin trace, I swim in a very straight line in open water. I just revert to picking my head up and sighting on almost every stroke like I have since forever. I don't always wear a wetsuit, but like you, my races can be even slower than my OW training. Last night was probably about as close to race conditions as I could get without having someone swim really close to me--we have recently had a lot rain, so the lake was full of branches that I kept running into.

There were stretches during the swim when I would remind myself to reach farther forward, pull all the way through, tighten my kick, etc..., and the Garmin trace reflects that, but it also really reflects the stretches where I wasn't doing that and the bad old habits came back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I believe you then. At 2:10/100yd now, a coach may have gotten you from 2:40 to 2:10 with fixing some big form flaws alone.

If you're sighting on every stroke in OWS (sounds like you said you are), that's almost definitely why you're a lot slower in OWS and find it so hard. At 2:10/100yd pace, it's harder to sight than a FOPer since your forward momentum doesn't help keep you up as much.

But you just need to swim more - a lot more, to feel more comfortable in all OWS and to get that pace faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pretty crappy swimmer by swimmer standards. My OWS times are only slightly slower than pool. I attribute this to either turns in the pool, or currents or slight navigational errors in open water.

Some things come to mind.

You need to learn to ignore others in the water. If they hit you just keep swimming.

Need to learn to sight without interrupting the stroke rhythm. Frequent quick glances forward.

Finally, you may be relying on gliding in the water a little too much. That doesn't work as well in choppy open water. You'll stall much more readily than you would in the pool, and that would significantly slow you down. Solution is to increase cadence while OWS, and if you have to, to keep the cadence up, short stroke just a bit. Just a bit less reach and less gliding than in the pool, and higher cadence. This needs to be practiced of course. Not something you can just do on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
9-month pregnant ex-competitive D1 swimmers who look like they're going to explode will still crush 99% of triathletes including the lean and mean top AGers in swim challenges.

used to swim in a master's class with Susan Williams (Athens Olympics bronze, D1). We shared a lane once, when she was 9 months pregnant and slowed down to near my speed.. and I'm FOP of my AG swim at any tri race except Worlds..

translating pool speed to OWS needs two things
- sighting as lightheir says, practice this and develop other navigation strategies to minimize the need to sight. I use the sun to orient myself on each leg of the swim, and swim R of the main stem so on each breath (left) I can track the other swimmers.
- practice the new technique/stroke until it is ingrained. There aren't any shortcuts to this unfortunately..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:

I am oddly enough the exact opposite my open water swim times crush my pool swims. I don't really understand why but my wife says my turnover is much better in Open Water and I seem to get moving better and oddly more relaxed. I find myself thinking about transition and the bike leg while I'm out there just to occupy my time. My wife who is my swim instructor LOL always tells me I'm going to do better in open water than I do in the pool and she's yet to be wrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have technique-specific sessions in open water where your entire goal is to practice sighting if you feel open water technique is failing.

I have found that my issue with open water swimming is that I go entirely too hard for the first 100-200 yards/meters as the churn gets bad, such that my shoulders lock up and my technique subsequently degrades. I have also found that a good warmup really helps with these issues for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super odd... but I have the exact opposite issue. I am a 1:30 OWS and a 1:45-1:50 pool swimmer. I'm going to blame the excess speed on wetsuits though. I've not had to race in a swimskin in either of the last two years.
Quote Reply
Re: My technique turns to garbage in open water [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
Super odd... but I have the exact opposite issue. I am a 1:30 OWS and a 1:45-1:50 pool swimmer. I'm going to blame the excess speed on wetsuits though. I've not had to race in a swimskin in either of the last two years.

Short course?
Current?
You're MUCH faster in a wetsuit?

If it's only 2 races, possibly the above, but if it's every race that you're 1:30 OWS (which should put you into the top 15% or higher in most triathlons in the swim leg), then you really are much, much better in OWS than the pool. (A 1:45/100 pool swim is slightly behind MOP for AG triathlon)

I always check my % standing in the OA and AG of the swim for all my PR triathlon swims because of things like short course and current that make you feel like a stud based on your recorded time, but less of a stud when you see that everyone else seemed to benefit from a 2-3 min speed bump.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 20, 17 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Short course?
Current?
You're MUCH faster in a wetsuit?

If it's only 2 races, possibly the above, but if it's every race that you're 1:30 OWS (which should put you into the top 15% or higher in most triathlons in the swim leg), then you really are much, much better in OWS than the pool. (A 1:45/100 pool swim is slightly behind MOP for AG triathlon)

I always check my % standing in the OA and AG of the swim for all my PR triathlon swims because of things like short course and current that make you feel like a stud based on your recorded time, but less of a stud when you see that everyone else seemed to benefit from a 2-3 min speed bump.

Yes, mostly short course (Olympic/INTL) that said, my HIM in Madison was 1:35 pace. No currents that I've noticed or aware of, most areas I race in are smaller lakes (MN). So I do attribute a lot of the speed to wetsuit, also attribute a lot to race mentality. Admittedly, I have a hard time getting excited to swim back and forth, tracing the black line back to the "+"
Last edited by: MJGuswiler: Jul 20, 17 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did that 1:35 pace get you top 15% in the swim? That's how you really get a sense as whether you really are much better with the wetsuit, or if the course just had some sort of assist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Did that 1:35 pace get you top 15% in the swim? That's how you really get a sense as whether you really are much better with the wetsuit, or if the course just had some sort of assist.

385 out of 2452 = 15.7%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
lightheir wrote:

385 out of 2452 = 15.7%

Great job! You ARE faster in OWS! (1:45-1:50 in the pool def won't get you up to top 15.7%!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next