Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report
Quote | Reply
Life just too busy to do anything other than a short one. Yep, if some want to consider this bragging, then yep, I am very proud of what I have been able to do
at my age, and doing all the wrong training to achieve these results. :o) Now the goal is what can I do next year at 58?

After all of the planning and racing, I am back home trying to recover. Here is a picture my good friend Jim Silk took which is in a single shot what my whole race was, running. When I left I had a few goals. Try to race 3 races in 6 days. Try to race each race. Try to have the top runs in each race. So to end up with a Silver medal in the Aquathlon with the fastest run in my AG was amazing. Then to come back in 2 days and have the second fastest run of 19:07 and get 10th in the world in the Sprint Distance Triathlon started to put icing on the cake. Going 3 more days and then running the fastest run of 40:21 in the AG, and fastest T2 time just put me over the top. Then to find I got 6th in the world for the Olympic distance was well, is they any more over the top. To come back from races that took so long in preparation, doing 3 in 6 days, and basically have them all go off so well is just something that never happens. And to only be off by about 2 minutes in the Sprint and Olympic distance races from a podium is well, time to maybe get a new bike to be able to compete at that level. Being the fastest runner basically in my AG, sick. To have either the fastest Transition times or the top couple with putting on socks and running in my bikes shoes which some say is totally wrong is just nuts. I NEVER would have been able to do this without my support of my Angel Francie. I just do not have the skills to focus on the details that are needed to keep me together while trying to race. So to anyone with a dream, go chase it, you never know what might happen. Was so cool to have folks come up to me after I flew by them on the run and say boy are you a fast runner, let alone a fast runner for an old guy. Since all my training seems to be done the wrong way based on the "experts", makes it even more fun. Thanks for everyone that has been following me. That really helps to drive me when I was out there racing in so much pain. I knew the pain would only last a little while, but the results would be a lifetime. The race venue was great. The race organization was fantastic.The Canadians were super friendly. The weather was just about perfect. Great swim course. Great bike with very little drafting and tons of draft marshals on the course. Super semi dirt shaped run course with tons of timing mats.
Just could not have been a better World Championship that was put on by Edmonton.

Love this picture

http://h2ofun.net/...ton%20post%20run.jpg

Having ones name being said for a finish being from the USA was so cool. Sprint finish

https://www.youtube.com/...dyPLRK20d6xsnZErOSeg

Olympic finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFxLCvbNen0

Being brought out from the swim coral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gf23fQHV3I

This video will be one I remember forever getting my Silver medal. What an honor that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=movlixI9tJY

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 4, 14 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on you, sir. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, Dave...those run splits and those results are absolutely stellar. Well done for sure. Next year are you going to Chicago? I qualified at the Canadian Nationals (for 50-54 even though I am 49 this year). I can only dream of run splits like that, and as you say, I am still a lot younger!

I am toying with Tahoe 70.3 in a few weeks as I would like to qualify for Austria 70.3 WC and this is an early chance.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Wow, Dave...those run splits and those results are absolutely stellar. Well done for sure. Next year are you going to Chicago? I qualified at the Canadian Nationals (for 50-54 even though I am 49 this year). I can only dream of run splits like that, and as you say, I am still a lot younger!

I am toying with Tahoe 70.3 in a few weeks as I would like to qualify for Austria 70.3 WC and this is an early chance.

Dev

Thanks Dev. Yes, very proud of my run splits for my age. Powercranks, hills, LSD running. I think my Aquathlon run was like a 6:02 pace. Sprint maybe 6:12. Olympic maybe 6:20. Now, can I do this again at 58?
I think the run was a little long from what folks measures so this would mean I broke 19 in the 5K, and 40 in the 10K. Yep, races are the place I get my speed training. :o)

I got into Edmonton via the USAT rankings. So, can I make top 20 again? Can I get a All American roll down slot to represent the USA on TeamUSA for Chicago in 2015? Will know a lot more after the results
get put up in a few weeks in the USAT ranking system. So many top guys beat me so their rankings will go way up. But I am going to try and go. Man, the Canadian team was SO first class! Amazing uniforms.
If you can go, boy do I suggest it!!!

Yep, I have 19 days to recover and get ready for IMLT 70.3. Would love to see you at the race. I am going to race and just enjoy. Will be weird to not be trying to qualify for anything. Austria is just too much money
for me to even think about. Seems it would be a great place for you to get a spot.

Again, thanks for the nice comments. I know I am still a nothing compared to the ST studs, but from where I came from and the hard work I had done to get these results, I am very proud of myself. It also shows
anyone else with hard without and not always having the perfect parents can allow folks to compete in this sport towards the top. At the top, in my dreams.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say those are pretty studly times for someone your age h2ofun..don't be too hard on yourself! Well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great report and congratulations on an outstanding result for you personally.

I'm an Edmontonian, and I was very proud of how well it came off. It does my heart good to read positive feedback on the city and venue.

Cheers,

M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched the podium video...well done. And don't be so hard on yourself. You ARE an ST stud, even though most of your training is unconventional according to them. Let most of these guys come back at 57 and JUST run forget about run at the speeds you did at ITU World's off the bike. Those times are no joke FRESH as open splits! You should have no problems recovering in time for Tahoe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats! Good work.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for coming to Alberta, I am stoked that the province, the sponsors and especially the city went all out:-)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Dave! Impressive run splits. Retirement is treating you well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man you had a great week. Congrats on the silver and the great results in the two tri's.

I bet you'd break 19 if you switched to a more aero hat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing Job!! This was my first experience at one and had an amazing time. Didn't place as well as you but still had some PB's but only raced once let alone three times. Imaging how fast you would be if you did all the right training.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done. Seriously, that was quite a week of racing.

Chicago or bust :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent job.
I had a great experience in Edmonton as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well done !

in this thread on the worst training advice,
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5169805#5169805
I could have said, you have the fastest run in the world in the AG.. ha !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, it might be useful if you share some of your training that allows you to keep some decent speed at 57. I am not sure there are enough 'studies' on larger enough older populations to definitively state the best way to skin the cat. We know that pure mileage does not work for most older athletes, and we also know that too much intensity breaks them down and injures them. What's your mileage like for the year (aggregate for the entire year) and what if any intensity do you do. How often do you run at 4 min per kilometer pace, or is the answer, "NEVER unless I am racing".

We on ST don't need to love everything that you do, and some will say that you are getting some results in spite of yourself and might get even better results with more conventional approaches, but nevertheless further visibility into your run training would be helpful as most readers won't be able to scan through all your recent posts to pick up each snippet.
Quote Reply
Re: My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
By the way, it might be useful if you share some of your training that allows you to keep some decent speed at 57. I am not sure there are enough 'studies' on larger enough older populations to definitively state the best way to skin the cat. We know that pure mileage does not work for most older athletes, and we also know that too much intensity breaks them down and injures them. What's your mileage like for the year (aggregate for the entire year) and what if any intensity do you do. How often do you run at 4 min per kilometer pace, or is the answer, "NEVER unless I am racing".

We on ST don't need to love everything that you do, and some will say that you are getting some results in spite of yourself and might get even better results with more conventional approaches, but nevertheless further visibility into your run training would be helpful as most readers won't be able to scan through all your recent posts to pick up each snippet.

What has worked for me might not work for anyone else. But, as I continued to talk with the older racers at Worlds, I continue to hear the same thing, if you do speed work when you are older, most will end up hurt and out.
Coaches LOVE to point to the FEW who are able to survive this, but they never talk about the many who end up hurt. I wish I had gotten the name of the coach one racer told me about that told him that getting an older
racer to the line healthy is all that matters. The one thread with a coach saying you had to warm up an Olympic race by doing an hour of warmup was just nuts, IMO. I saw NO older athlete at Worlds do any type of long warm ups.
Being 30 minutes in the swim chute made this impossible, we even had zero swim warmup.

So, everyone I talked with agreed the MOST important thing for an older racer is to stay healthy!!! So training with tons of hard workouts of any type when older is just rolling the dice. And the worst is running since the legs always go first.

So with that said, I start with what some top folks have stated many times on ST. Consistency, frequency, then duration. I talked to no racer at worlds that did not do ALL three, they were like me.

So, I train about 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Have been doing this for a few years now and have no injuries that have kept me out.

I do believe riding my powercranks on my trainer 7 days a week, and been using for like 10 years is a must, IMO, for folks who want to help with the best odds of running strong.

Another key piece I talked to racers with at Edmonton is during all of my runs, I do hill work. ALWAYS. This is strength building which all articles I read say some should have. I just believe all of my running should have.
I run 9 months a year 30 miles a week. Off season 20 miles. All of it, and I mean all of it is LSD 9 to 10 mpm pace. All is dirt cross county. It is a 3.1 mile loop. Each loop I run a big hill which takes 4 minutes to get up,
and goes up to like 15% at the top. I do this 3 times. 1000 feet of hills per workout.

I never run with rested legs. I am always doing an hour of bike intervals before I hit my run. We never race with rested legs, so why train with rested legs?

Another thing I think helps is I swim an hour. I then bike L2 on the trainer for an hour. Then I jump on the treadmill for a 10 minute 6:30 pace brick. I think this really helps in races since my mind and body is just ready
to going full out right from the start of the run, since this what I do in training 4 days a week.

And the last is I race compared to many a lot. Like 5 to 10 races a year. And this is where I totally open it up.

So, I know this is totally against the ST logic, but it makes SO much sense to me. Could I be faster? Anyone that asks this does not understand what older means! I tell folks I might be slow, but I am healthy.

So bottom line goes back to the basic consistency, frequency, and then duration. If most would just do this, they would get faster, and minimize risk or injury. No easy answer. Just do it, but do NOT over due it.
And do it for years.

Does this seem like one possible way that folks might be able to get faster? Seems to have worked for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

What has worked for me might not work for anyone else. But, as I continued to talk with the older racers at Worlds, I continue to hear the same thing, if you do speed work when you are older, most will end up hurt and out.
Coaches LOVE to point to the FEW who are able to survive this, but they never talk about the many who end up hurt. I wish I had gotten the name of the coach one racer told me about that told him that getting an older
racer to the line healthy is all that matters. The one thread with a coach saying you had to warm up an Olympic race by doing an hour of warmup was just nuts, IMO. I saw NO older athlete at Worlds do any type of long warm ups.
Being 30 minutes in the swim chute made this impossible, we even had zero swim warmup.

So, everyone I talked with agreed the MOST important thing for an older racer is to stay healthy!!! So training with tons of hard workouts of any type when older is just rolling the dice. And the worst is running since the legs always go first.

So with that said, I start with what some top folks have stated many times on ST. Consistency, frequency, then duration. I talked to no racer at worlds that did not do ALL three, they were like me.

So, I train about 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year. Have been doing this for a few years now and have no injuries that have kept me out.

I do believe riding my powercranks on my trainer 7 days a week, and been using for like 10 years is a must, IMO, for folks who want to help with the best odds of running strong.

Another key piece I talked to racers with at Edmonton is during all of my runs, I do hill work. ALWAYS. This is strength building which all articles I read say some should have. I just believe all of my running should have.
I run 9 months a year 30 miles a week. Off season 20 miles. All of it, and I mean all of it is LSD 9 to 10 mpm pace. All is dirt cross county. It is a 3.1 mile loop. Each loop I run a big hill which takes 4 minutes to get up,
and goes up to like 15% at the top. I do this 3 times. 1000 feet of hills per workout.

I never run with rested legs. I am always doing an hour of bike intervals before I hit my run. We never race with rested legs, so why train with rested legs?

Another thing I think helps is I swim an hour. I then bike L2 on the trainer for an hour. Then I jump on the treadmill for a 10 minute 6:30 pace brick. I think this really helps in races since my mind and body is just ready
to going full out right from the start of the run, since this what I do in training 4 days a week.

And the last is I race compared to many a lot. Like 5 to 10 races a year. And this is where I totally open it up.

So, I know this is totally against the ST logic, but it makes SO much sense to me. Could I be faster? Anyone that asks this does not understand what older means! I tell folks I might be slow, but I am healthy.

So bottom line goes back to the basic consistency, frequency, and then duration. If most would just do this, they would get faster, and minimize risk or injury. No easy answer. Just do it, but do NOT over due it.
And do it for years.

Does this seem like one possible way that folks might be able to get faster? Seems to have worked for me.

So your only high speed is 10 min at 6:30 per mile on the treadmill after warming up. You volume is consistent and solid. Agreed on running hill intervals. Your yearly run volume is solid...looks like 1400-1500 miles per year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Powercranks

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Powercranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

And do it for years.

So your only high speed is 10 min at 6:30 per mile on the treadmill after warming up. You volume is consistent and solid. Agreed on running hill intervals. Your yearly run volume is solid...looks like 1400-1500 miles per year.

Yep, the treadmill is the only high speed running. I cannot seem to find out how to have Strava tell me the break downs of the training, all of which I have put into the data base.

Quote Reply
Re: My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Powercranks

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Powercranks.

Sorry, I strongly feel the powercranks are a part of my ability to run well and healthy!! Again, might not work for others but if never tried, how could anyone have an opinion?

I just smiled thinking about the Di2 thread where a person wants to know if the extra $800 bucks is worth it. Well, I have heard no one say the Di2 will make you faster.
But for $800 bucks you can buy powercranks, and there are some like me that do say they can help you run faster, and with less injury risk.

When I was talking to folks at worlds we had this exact conversation. I said I talk to the folks who have the proven results on what they are doing, not folks with opinions
and not results to back up their thoughts. We also talked about my run training and how I smile when some say what I do cannot work but when I ask for their run results
and age, it just becomes quiet.

Same thing about how to do transitions. I do have done my ST wrong putting on socks and running in my bike shoes against the worlds best at Edmonton and the results speak for
themself that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I just love going by folks on the bike who were trying to get their feet into their shoes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, was just watching the summary youtube from Emdonton. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpiDGvgQ7bs

I remember reading an article from a top running coach on how he sees the top runners being able to have strong up leg drive
during the end of the run. This is the single thing that makes SO much sense to me with powercranks. I can see this in the video
with shots of folks at the finish line the difference between the fast ones and the slow ones in how the legs were being lifted.

I am even more convinced that powercranks are a critical component, piece, of the total package I have been doing to run fast,
at an old age, with minimal injuries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I strongly feel

Ok then. Strong feelings! They must work! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am cheering my buddies old man at 2.30 of the video.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: My short Edmonton 2014 ITU World Championship Race report [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
I am cheering my buddies old man at 2.30 of the video.

Very cool. Was hoping maybe I got in but nothing.

The pictures of the swim start sure brings back memories since I did it three times. Never swam with
so many good swimmers and having them shoulder to shoulder the entire race swim.

Quote Reply

Prev Next